ATF Question...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, ATF Question... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm just about to button up my TCC replacement, but I'm unsure of how much ATF needs to be put ...
    chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

ATF Question...

I'm just about to button up my TCC replacement, but I'm unsure of how much ATF needs to be put in. Before I started the job I read AJ's write up in which he states that 12qts would be needed but the only fluid that came out during the job was what came out of the pan, only a small amount came out of the side cover (a qt at the VERY most), is this normal and AJ was just assuming that someone would completely drain the trans during the job?

Also, my buddy that was helping me out rotated the trans stick out of the park position so I'm hoping someone will know where park is located on the NSS is it turned completely clockwise or counter clockwise or maybe its somewhere in middle?

Thank you all for your continued help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: ATF Question...

Put the shift stick in P and the cable length will tell you where the lever should be to snap the fitting onto the ball..........

Use the new GM DEXRON-VI synthetic fluid, replace what approximate amount came out, warm up the car, and with the engine running in P, check the level. The 4T80E is a dry sump transmission: There will be NO fluid on the stick with the engine off.

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

Thanks alot sub, do you have the new DEXRON in your car? if so is it as swell as everyone says it is? I do plan on using it, but I'm just wondering if all the hype is true.

In November of 2007 I had my GM dealer do the complete "Fall Special" coolant, transmission, brake fluid exchanges. DEXRON-VI was used for the transmission fluid exchange, and I have used and/or added nothing since. I think the transmission is a tad "tighter" with crisper shift points during WOT, but I can't prove it. I do all my own oil/filter and brake mechanical work, but a complete brake fluid change is now just too much hassle.

Anyway, I have nothing but high praise for Fitzgerald Cadillac in Annapolis, MD. I know what I'm driving and am willing to pay to keep it right if I can no longer do it myself.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I maintain 3 GM cars - a '97, a '00, and a '04. I've still been using the cheap regular Dexron III, and doing fluid changes once a year or two. I'm sure the VI might be a little better, but III is what came in these cars, and it seems to work fine. Here is what GM has to say about it:

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...ase_30NO07.doc

It's interesting that it says that Dexron III licenses expired at the end of '06 - might that have something to do with their position?

tateos, Thanks for the link - I knew it was somewhere but couldn't find it (not that I tried that hard....). The GM license thing refers to the fact that GM "lets" lubricant companies use the trademarked name "DEXRON-III" and since 2006, when all GM transmissions/transfer cases shifted to -VI GM no longer allows the companies to use the superceded -III suffix. GM does state that -VI is completely backwards-compatible with -III, so whatever floats your boat for a pre-2006 machine.

The bulletin is also interesting in that, if you read the list of licensed companies, you'll find out just who produces what lubricant brands, as in : Shell (SOPUS) = Shell, Quaker State, and Pennzoil. I did not know that Havoline (Texaco) is now Chevron.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.