Turbo Charged 99 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Turbo Charged 99 STS in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well it's been a long time since I have been on the forums. Been very busy personally with work and ...
    MARK99STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Turbo Charged 99 STS

Well it's been a long time since I have been on the forums. Been very busy personally with work and have about a million irons in the fire on every other front.
    Thought I would update everybody on the car. It's running great but I've been wanting to get in the 11's for a long time at the track and I new I would have to do some more upgrades to get there. I am now running a 70mm turbo and added an electric exhaust cutout to maximize the efficiency of the 3" pipe coming off the turbo and it sounds awesome. I upgraded the injectors to 60lb as the 42's were maxed out at 14psi. I decided to give it a shot on the last day of the season for test & tune.

I ran the car almost completely out of gas and for safety, put in 7 gal of 115 octane race gas even though I had a good tune on the car but I have never run over 14 lbs of boost and we were planing on cranking it up to 20 lbs of boost. I data logged my first run and I about crapped when I reviewed it. I hit 21.4 lbs of boost and it held it rock steady thru the entire run. I did a 12.20 at 118 mph. The problem was I had so much power I roasted the slicks all thru 1ST and 2ND gear. After the run I talked to a couple people there who saw me run and they looked at my slicks and said they were no good as they are about 3yrs old and had hardened which is why I was getting no traction.

I needed more weight on the front so I disconnected the links in the back to make the shocks go to max height and figured I would just sit in the pit and smoke the crap out of the tires to get them as hot and sticky as I could . I power braked on the line to build about 2 lbs of boost and let it rip. I still spun in 1ST but 2ND and 3RD grabbed and I ended up doing an 11.82@ 119.4 mph. My 60 foot was still horrible but at least I got in the 11's.

I have it on video and I am having a freind combine it with the other video of the car on you tube and put it all in one . Jim is also going to put it up on his website so I will get the link posted as soon as it is ready.

Mark 99STS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

Re: Turbo Charged 99 STS

you sir are a lucky lucky man

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Mark, it's been over a year or so.......thought you had disappeared. There will be a million questions on "how you did your modifications and how easy and how much and when can I do it ?" If you get the chance please post a few pics of the install and your latest cost estimate for the member who wants to do it in the driveway next Saturday.........there are still posts and references to your work, and we refer to them frequently, but an update would be nice. Thanks.

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

11s in a FWD cadillac.... you sir are my hero

Welcome back Mark.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Video is on youtube. It has the pass from a few years ago where he ran 12 something, then this pass. 700 WHP. Thats a lot of money. A lot..... he is using a holley ECM. Lots of work done to the engine itself too....

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

Here is the link for the new video..... too bad the newest video is low res....

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

I think the car is impressive, however I have to be honest, that video is awfully ambitious with respect to the claimed power. A 119mph trap in a 4000lb car is closer to about 450-500whp depending on the 60' (trap will actually be a bit higher with a worse launch). Not anywhere near 700whp.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I think the car is impressive, however I have to be honest, that video is awfully ambitious with respect to the claimed power. A 119mph trap in a 4000lb car is closer to about 450-500whp depending on the 60' (trap will actually be a bit higher with a worse launch). Not anywhere near 700whp.
    I had a supercharged '04 Mach 1 running 11.5@124 mph (spun in first) and that car had 443 rwhp. The Mach weighed right around 3500 lbs. I would imagine the Cadillac would need at least 500-600 rwhp to do the same. My Mach had 3.73 gears, I don't know what gears that Cadillac had.

i'd say 3.71 gears and im pretty sure his tires are just about shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I had a supercharged '04 Mach 1 running 11.5@124 mph (spun in first) and that car had 443 rwhp. The Mach weighed right around 3500 lbs. I would imagine the Cadillac would need at least 500-600 rwhp to do the same. My Mach had 3.73 gears, I don't know what gears that Cadillac had.
    Basic rules of thumb are 10hp gained or 100lbs lost for every tenth of ET or 1 mph of trap speed. I was trapping 119 in my T/A with 430rwhp at about 3600lbs w/driver and a decent 1.6 short time. Give him 1,000 extra pounds of curb weight, that still works out to about 530 at the wheels, and that's being generous as a poor launching FWD car will trap a bit higher for the power than a good hooking RWD one. And that's still a world away from 700 at the wheels.

Go plug the numbers into a generic HP/ET estimator online and you'll see what I mean. The car is an impressive Northstar no dobut, but it isn't making 650-700 whp.

Jailtime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 95 Sierra Z71

Does that monster still have the stock tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by MARK99STS View Post
    The problem was I had so much power I roasted the slicks all thru 1ST and 2ND gear. After the run I talked to a couple people there who saw me run and they looked at my slicks and said they were no good as they are about 3yrs old and had hardened which is why I was getting no traction.

I still spun in 1ST but 2ND and 3RD grabbed and I ended up doing an 11.82@ 119.4 mph. My 60 foot was still horrible but at least I got in the 11's.

Mark 99STS

because we all know that if you have 700 HP you should be breaking 125mph with 700hp no matter WHAT donuts you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboyt View Post

because we all know that if you have 700 HP you should be breaking 125mph with 700hp no matter WHAT donuts you have.
    Actually trap speed is not as affected by poor launches and in fact worse 60's tend to result in higher trap speeds.

I usually slicks for 3 seasons, they are good for about 20-25 passes before they start to lose traction. I've also seen a 500 whp FWD car I helped build trap 127+ off a bad 2.4 60' on drag radials.

Hey, prove me wrong and put it on a dyno. I guarantee that car doesn't make 700 at the wheels.

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

who cares guys.
    its still faster then your cars! HE put in the effort and money to get this done. why are you dudes hating on him?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I don't think anyone's "hating on him" - they just haven't gone back 3 years and read up on the work and tuning that went into this conversion. It's all in here, pictures and all..............regardless of the speculation, MARK99 has the car, timeslips and the videos for his car. Most of the others DON'T.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.