Cadillac Engineers please help us!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Engineers please help us! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've asked Cadillac engineers/designers on Cadillac's facebook page to come to this forum to understand what Caddy owners would like. ...
    97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Cadillac Engineers please help us!

I've asked Cadillac engineers/designers on Cadillac's facebook page to come to this forum to understand what Caddy owners would like. Welcome to Cadillac forums and thank you.

For a long time now we've been trying to gain more performance out of the OBD2 cars (96 - present) cars than the factory rated 300 HP and what is stopping us is the lack of support to re-tune the factory PCM.

Cadillac corporate employees- please understand that we are willing to put money where our mouths are. Your support with past vehicles will help new vehicle sales as well because the more Cadillacs you see at car shows and drag strips, the more attention the brand will draw.

My stock 1998 STS ran a 14.95 quarter mile time a couple months ago. The Northstar V8 engine is simply an amazing piece of engineering.

There are all kinds of preformance upgrades available for the Ford 4.6 liter V8.

The Cadillac 32 valve Northstar is a better design and we all know it. It is screaming to be modified, but because of the limits of inability to re-tune the stock PCM it isn't happening.

Cadillac, please lend us a hand and give us some type of new programming options for the OBD II Northstars that will allow us to defeat torque management, keep 1st gear when turning the traction control off, and adjust timing and fuel tables for running superchargers and turbos. Many people have tried to retune the PCM with no success. Who could do it better than the original designers?!

My shop, Northstar Performance, will provide the financial backing and work with you in any way necessary to open these cars up to their full potential. Believe me, it will help add to the future success of Cadillac in many ways.

Many Cadillac owners stand along side me in this pursuit for more performance.

All we need is a file that is unlocked so that we can change certain parameters to suit our needs. Most of these vehicles (if not all) are now out of warranty so GM will not be responsible in any way for any failure as a result. Please work with us.

To speak with me directly please email jwiebe@northstarperformance.com or call 519-875-2970.

All forum members who second this motion to have Cadillac engineers help us with PCM re-tuning, please make it known and post "Please help us Cadillac" below!

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Cadillac Engineers please help us!

Never mind every time I post on their facebook page it's deleted right aways. So much for that.

Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That's a shame! What exactly is keeping people from messing with the computers right now?

Everything. There's a lot of history in that. Someone popular on these boards who shall be nameless for his own safety can do quite a bit but I believe never managed to retune it completely. If we stand together and get Cadillac's attention, hopefully they'll realize the need for a performance tune! I haven't driven my GXP yet but I know Olds Aurora's keep 1st gear if your turn T/C off. Torque management is still in place though.

Cadillac: your sales have increased since I've opened my shop in new and used vehicles alike. Many friends of mine drive Cadillacs now since they know what they're capable of and how nice they are. I've had customers, previous employers, and friends all buy Cadillacs (even new ones) since I've showed them what the Northstar is all about, what features Caddys have that other cars don't, and how well they are built and designed. The town where I spend a lot of my time on weekends is being over-run with the younger crowd cruising in their late 90's and early 2000's Northstar powered cars, instead of the usual ricers. It's really a sight to see! North American vehicle pride is coming back stronger. This trend will continue and increase with performance modifications, among the young and old alike.

Please do all of us a huge favor and lend us a hand in our quest for more performance.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Never mind every time I post on their facebook page it's deleted right aways. So much for that.
    I think that speaks volumes and is an indication of what is ahead, but I wish you luck.

I know. I can't do anything without the help of everyone on these forums, and then some. The original programmer(s) of the PCM could whip out a new file in what, 8 hours or less? We could spend years on that and accomplish nothing. We need their help.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

I've asked Cadillac engineers/designers on Cadillac's facebook page to come to this forum to understand what Caddy owners would like. Welcome to Cadillac forums and thank you.

For a long time now we've been trying to gain more performance out of the OBD2 cars (96 - present) cars than the factory rated 300 HP and what is stopping us is the lack of support to re-tune the factory PCM.

Cadillac corporate employees- please understand that we are willing to put money where our mouths are. Your support with past vehicles will help new vehicle sales as well because the more Cadillacs you see at car shows and drag strips, the more attention the brand will draw.

My stock 1998 STS ran a 14.95 quarter mile time a couple months ago. The Northstar V8 engine is simply an amazing piece of engineering.

There are all kinds of preformance upgrades available for the Ford 4.6 liter V8.

The Cadillac 32 valve Northstar is a better design and we all know it. It is screaming to be modified, but because of the limits of inability to re-tune the stock PCM it isn't happening.

Cadillac, please lend us a hand and give us some type of new programming options for the OBD II Northstars that will allow us to defeat torque management, keep 1st gear when turning the traction control off, and adjust timing and fuel tables for running superchargers and turbos. Many people have tried to retune the PCM with no success. Who could do it better than the original designers?!

My shop, Northstar Performance, will provide the financial backing and work with you in any way necessary to open these cars up to their full potential. Believe me, it will help add to the future success of Cadillac in many ways.

Many Cadillac owners stand along side me in this pursuit for more performance.

All we need is a file that is unlocked so that we can change certain parameters to suit our needs. Most of these vehicles (if not all) are now out of warranty so GM will not be responsible in any way for any failure as a result. Please work with us.

To speak with me directly please email jwiebe@northstarperformance.com or call 519-875-2970.

All forum members who second this motion to have Cadillac engineers help us with PCM re-tuning, please make it known and post "Please help us Cadillac" below!
    Jake, you stand alone bro. It is never gonna happen. And just to let you know, the Ford 4.6 will win everytime. Wake up. N* cars are worthless in value and you can't fix that. Nobody here will "put their money where there mouth is". Along with the fact that N* are troubled motors is the fact that they are mostly found in FWD cars. All the horsepower in the world won't help a FWD full size car much. You stand alone.

Everything. There's a lot of history in that. Someone popular on these boards who shall be nameless for his own safety can do quite a bit but I believe never managed to retune it completely. If we stand together and get Cadillac's attention, hopefully they'll realize the need for a performance tune! I haven't driven my GXP yet but I know Olds Aurora's keep 1st gear if your turn T/C off. Torque management is still in place though.

Cadillac: your sales have increased since I've opened my shop in new and used vehicles alike. Many friends of mine drive Cadillacs now since they know what they're capable of and how nice they are. I've had customers, previous employers, and friends all buy Cadillacs (even new ones) since I've showed them what the Northstar is all about, what features Caddys have that other cars don't, and how well they are built and designed. The town where I spend a lot of my time on weekends is being over-run with the younger crowd cruising in their late 90's and early 2000's Northstar powered cars, instead of the usual ricers. It's really a sight to see! North American vehicle pride is coming back stronger. This trend will continue and increase with performance modifications, among the young and old alike.

Please do all of us a huge favor and lend us a hand in our quest for more performance.
    Dude I like your work and think you provide a great service to owners of N* motors but you are getting a bit swelled here. Cadillac is not selling more cars because of the studs, there really isn't much if any demand for hi-po parts. You really are forgetting the target audience for Cadillac.

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

Destroyer I have read alot of your posts and I truely do respect you as a car enthusiast but if you have such a dislike for the NorthStar motor why dont you just stay out of the NorthStar section of this site? Your comments are always negitive and often quite offensive to some who believe in the NorthStars potential and respect its technology & engineering. Its just not right to constantly bash other people, for their hobbys or in Jakes case how he makes his living.

I understand that you had a bad experience with your NorthStar but that is no reason to become a constant troll and hate on people that want to improve their cars.

Life is all about attitude, determination, and action. Without the will, there's no way. With people like Destroyer there is no way.

I never said it was my studs that sell cars I'm saying that if people see the cars on the road, and see them being modified, that creates an image. Image sells. If all the new Cadillacs were all in junk yards in two years they wouldn't sell anything. If they're still on the road when they're over 10 years old and going strong, and proof of this exists, people will be more likely to purchase new ones. Destroyer you claim to be a man of intelligence. Surely you realize the point I'm making here.

It's because of people like you who ditch the cars when they need some attention, that people like us can buy them cheap and fix them. Thanks Destroyer One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm just surprised that owning a Ford, you have time on the weekends to be here.

J/K - there are a lot of very nice Fords, and well built ones too.

I can't accomplish anything alone. It has to be a team effort from as many forum members as possible. Maybe I should start with another tuning company. I don't know but Cadillac can do it for sure. Cadillac won't do squat unless they benefit from it somehow.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet. In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.

Destroyer I'm not getting swelled. I don't know shit about tuning. I know basic sensor operation and a bit about basic electronics. I can make certain things work differently than they were designed to. I cannot retune a PCM, I cannot decode the binary hex code that the files are written in (did I say that right?) and I cannot accomplish anything on my own! It has to be a TEAM effort and since you don't own a Northstar anymore, stick to the other threads- this one is here to create a list (getting signatures if you will) of people who want a new performance tune to become available for the Northstar powered cars.

GM won't do anything without a profit potential involved. I for one am willing to use the cash I have available to help make this happen and if the chance existed, I'm sure more forum members would be too. Right now with the engine deal my finances are tied but in a short while I can probably pull something off.

If we all want it bad enough, it will happen. The 96-04,05, etc. cars will still be on the road for quite a while to come and there ARE people who would pay for more performance. I know for a fact, I get calls about it every day.

Superjim is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS Platinum

Life is all about attitude, determination, and action.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet.

In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.

To Jake and Destroyer,

Not all of us old guys are ready for the nursing home.

I am 65 years old.
    "I" am the target audience for the DTS.
    Some of us OLD GUYS do still like performance.
    If the new CTS-V didn't make my right knee hurt, I would probably have one.
    I like a vehicle that is running up to it's potential or as close to it as possible.
    I have a 2006 DTS which I bought brand new.
    I am lucky, in that the 2006 and newer ones "CAN" be tuned.

I have had it "TUNED"
    Both the engine computer and the transmission computer were tuned.
    I felt that there was still a little bit left that I could tweak to get more Performance out of it.
    I bought the software so that I could use my laptop to change settings in the computers to get more power out of it.
    It weighs 4700 pounds (almost two and a half tons) with me in it and 3/4 tank of fuel.
    It will run 0 to 60 in 6 seconds flat.
    It will run the 1/8 mile track in 9.95.
    That is a fair amount better than a stock DTS.
    It now gets 2 MPG "BETTER" on the highway than it did before the tuning.

So, to summarize...THIS NorthStar now runs better "AND" gets better fuel mileage after tuning, so Jakes idea to tune the older ones, is very valid.

Jake,

I wish you all the luck in the world, and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Texas Jim

Life is all about attitude, determination, and action. Without the will, there's no way. With people like Destroyer there is no way.

I never said it was my studs that sell cars I'm saying that if people see the cars on the road, and see them being modified, that creates an image. Image sells. If all the new Cadillacs were all in junk yards in two years they wouldn't sell anything. If they're still on the road when they're over 10 years old and going strong, and proof of this exists, people will be more likely to purchase new ones. Destroyer you claim to be a man of intelligence. Surely you realize the point I'm making here.

It's because of people like you who ditch the cars when they need some attention, that people like us can buy them cheap and fix them. Thanks Destroyer One man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm just surprised that owning a Ford, you have time on the weekends to be here.

J/K - there are a lot of very nice Fords, and well built ones too.

I can't accomplish anything alone. It has to be a team effort from as many forum members as possible. Maybe I should start with another tuning company. I don't know but Cadillac can do it for sure. Cadillac won't do squat unless they benefit from it somehow.

Also Destroyer, you'd be surprised at how many older folks like to feel 300 horses under their feet. In my opinion, acceleration is just as important (or close to it) as good brakes. It can help prevent accidents in some cases.
    I do not own any Ford's for the record. The forum member's will back you............until it's time to buy the parts, which they won't. 300hp isn't that much anymore. The CTS-V is one hell of a car but it's got a Chevy motor......all Caddy's should have Chevy motors. I agree with the acceleration and brake thing. I never complained about the power output of a N* (sluggish off the line?), I just complained about the reliability of the motors and the cars they came in. The cars were not of quality. Hate on me guys, I tell it like it is and you know it. I actually would be a fan of the N* if it were not for it's lack of reliability. When in good working order it was fun. N* Cadillacs were my car of choice for rentals 10+ years ago when I used to travel from FL to NY all the time.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by chacenbra View Post
    Destroyer I have read alot of your posts and I truely do respect you as a car enthusiast but if you have such a dislike for the NorthStar motor why dont you just stay out of the NorthStar section of this site? Your comments are always negitive and often quite offensive to some who believe in the NorthStars potential and respect its technology & engineering. Its just not right to constantly bash other people, for their hobbys or in Jakes case how he makes his living.

I understand that you had a bad experience with your NorthStar but that is no reason to become a constant troll and hate on people that want to improve their cars.
    Now, to answer some other questions, at least the way I see it. There are so many and I do mean many attributes to monitoring and controlling the N* system it would be insane to think we could engineer a better program than GM. Over all they gave us more than 1 HP per CI in a highly drivable and reliable engine. Not to mention it's completely smooth and totally silent when running. That's a huge accomplishment in itself.

I have seen, and heard of things that most would feel are insane when it comes to sensors and such. Like who would think there's a maximum increase in RMP per second setting. Yeah, stuff like that, which most of us would never in a million years think about. So what's happened over time is we tune the things we know as hot rodders, like fuel trim, increase airflow, etc. But GM was one or several steps ahead of us in protecting the engine and drivetrain from self destruction.

There's way to much time and effort involved in tuning such a system for such a small audience. I'm afraid to say that I don't think it will ever happen. I don't think you'll ever see a real tuned N* in a street car.
    Ownership:
    91 Brougham d'Elegance 350
    02 Deville DTS
    01 Deville DTS:
    Custom installed Volant CAI
    Custom PCM
    Body color engine components
    Cruiser Alloy wheels
    EBC brakes and rotors
    Eibach springs
    Corsa exhaust
    Sportwing Spoiler
    Semi-custom interior
    Custom quad Hi-Beams
    Future Plans: More interior work.

Memberships:
    National and regional Cadillac & LaSalle Club
    Proud Volunteer - Northstar Tuning Project
    Guinness World Records - Largest Cadillac Parade

----------------------------

Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What's with all the "Can't be done" attitudes? Jake, don't listen to this nonsense! If anything, take it as motivation to succeed, cause when you do, it'll be a nice little "Ha-ha!" to everyone who said it won't ever happen.

What about getting in touch with people who really know how to tune PCM's? Obviously each car is different, and while there's a much bigger market for tuned Camaros and Firebirds, doesn't mean there's no market for Northstar performance tunes. I could rattle off a couple of people who I know for sure would be willing to pay for that, and that's just people I know who happen to own Northstar Cadillacs, I'm not part of any Cadillac club or group or whatever.

Obviously the Northstar is a very complicated piece of machinery, but the basic's are all the same.... the goal is to have control over the amount of fuel and air going into the engine, and when the spark plugs ignite the fuel and air mixture. No matter if it's an Eldorado, a blown Z28, or a turbocharged Omni. No doubt the Caddy computer is probably much more complicated, but have you contacted people involved in tuning other computer controlled cars?
    Back when I was in to 3rd gen Firebirds and turbocharged 4 banger Chrysler cars, there were groups of regular guys who were by no means rocket scientists, but formed communities which constantly worked together to accomplish their tuning goals. I'm sure we could find a few people who would be willing to help out the Northstar crowd getting started....

I'll see if I can find some people from those groups who might be able to point us in the right direction.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.