head gasket help!!!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, head gasket help!!!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Believe it or not we replaced the head gaskets on a 4.0 northstar engine. however, we cannot get the timing ...
    lacycosmo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

head gasket help!!!!!!

Believe it or not we replaced the head gaskets on a 4.0 northstar engine. however, we cannot get the timing chains back on. the tension is too tight. Does anyone know how to adjust the tension? we really dont want to take out the motor. any ideas are appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: head gasket help!!!!!!

Well - obviously you need to press the release lever and depress the plunger on the tensioners - are you doing that?

well i dont know where the plunger is located. sorry this is the first time we have done this all ourselves. We couldnt afford to take it to a shop so we are kinda flying blind here can you help?

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

On the side of the motor (opposite the trans) is the timing case, within that case there is a series of guides, sprokets and tensioners when you look at these tensioners you will see a small release lever (as tateos is describing) press that lever towards the tensioner and depress the plunger, now look at the release lever you will see that there is a small hole in the lever place a pin through that hole to keep the plunger from jumping back out.

Once you get the chains all in place pull that pin and your chains will be tensioned.

Now one thing that concerns me is you let those tensioners all the way out the plunger may have come out of its socket, if it has REPLACE the tensioners, when I did my job I tried to put one back together and after I got the car all put back together and hit the key I began to hear the chains slapping around, I then had to replace them with the motor in the car (not a fun job AT ALL)

Note: you will need a 3 Jaw puller to remove the crank damper pully. (there is a special tool that GM uses I believe but a 3 jaw worked great for me)

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

After you reset the tensioners and timing chains turn the motor over several times by hand;TDC on compression stroke to TDC on compression stroke (use socket on crank pulley nut to turn) and check to be sure that the timing marks line up. What's the ratio - two crank revs for every cam rev...? It's not just a matter of setting the timing chains once and forgetting them. You MUST assure that you set them properly and the timing doesn't vary - No.1 piston TDC and all timing marks line up.

thanks we will give it a try

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Guys have done it in the car before but it's the hardest way. The timing cover has to come off and at TDC on #1 the timing marks must all line up. There are threads with diagrams or you can usually get a factory service manual on ebay.

Did you insert the head bolt holes or use the studs?

Is the engine in the car? If so, some people have written that they were able to unbolt the timing case cover and slide it back far enough to depress the plungers and avoid removing the crank damper. To remove the damper, I think you will need to drop that side of the cradle down some, to gain access.

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

I pulled my damper without lowering the cradle in my 99 DeVille.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I did my H/G in the car, and all I had to do was remove the timing cover bolts. The cover will slide back enough to get in there and retract the tensioners. I used 2 of those orange handled picks that you find at the discount tool place, and I custom bent them to fit in there just right. If I remember, I used a long craftsman screwdriver stuck down though the opening in the head where the chain comes through to push the shoe back while the pick was holding the release lever. While they are retracted, slide the cam gears on the cams. When the engine is at TDC on #1, the marks are exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the head surface. To double check, after I installed the chains I turned the engine over by hand a few times to make sure the marks were lined up right. Then I spun it with the starter to check the cranking compression. If I was off a tooth, the cranking compression should be off on one bank.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    I did my H/G in the car, and all I had to do was remove the timing cover bolts. The cover will slide back enough to get in there and retract the tensioners. I used 2 of those orange handled picks that you find at the discount tool place, and I custom bent them to fit in there just right. If I remember, I used a long craftsman screwdriver stuck down though the opening in the head where the chain comes through to push the shoe back while the pick was holding the release lever. While they are retracted, slide the cam gears on the cams. When the engine is at TDC on #1, the marks are exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the head surface. To double check, after I installed the chains I turned the engine over by hand a few times to make sure the marks were lined up right. Then I spun it with the starter to check the cranking compression. If I was off a tooth, the cranking compression should be off on one bank.
    I tip my hat to you for your ingenuity and creativity to do this project that way and get it to work. Good job!

Bigtone,

Did you ever write up some of the things that are unique to doing HG's in the car? It's hard to search for a tip like you just gave.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Thank you for the compliment. I did start a thread after I finished the job.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...esert-car.html

See if that works. I placed a few pics on there too.

Next, I have to replace the intake plenum on my wife's 01 Deville. Should be a piece of cake after doing the H/G job. My son also has an 01 Deville. Oddly, it is the exact same color, interior and options as my wife's. Needless to say, most of my neighbors wonder about me......

I forgot about that! LOL

You put a good title on it, search should find it.

mikelawson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I use a small allen wrench to hold the tensioners retracted, works perfect.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.