FPR acting up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, FPR acting up in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi, I have a question about the fpr which came about when searchin for a vacuum leak. First, a little ...
    Caddilac-T is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Seville

FPR acting up

Hi,
    I have a question about the fpr which came about when searchin for a vacuum leak. First, a little history - 2001 SLS bone stock, 89,000 mi. overall, very good mechanical condition. This car runs and idles fine, no complaints except for the SES light indicating some sort of vacuum leak - Codes pulled are; P0171, and P0174. I have done all the preliminary tests, spraying brake kleen even starting fluid at all vacuum connections, removed intake manifold and changed gaskets. new O rings on injectors, plulled the plenum piece, and inspected it. also inspected the over pressure valve on the intake manifold.
    Cleared the code, and after less 20 mi light comes back on again. So while troubleshooting this problem I noticed the fuel pressure measured at the fuel rail with pressure tester at 35psi. I disconnected the vacuum, and no gas was present at idle or slight rev. but the mystery is the pressure went up to 44psi with hose still disconnected! I put the hose back on - and back down to 35psi Is this suppose to react this way?? I changed out the fpr and identical results.
    35psi with vacuum hose on, 44 with vacuum hose disconnected. After this I replaced the fuel filter with new one, and also replaced the fuel pump with a new one. Same problem, same codes, Any suggestions???
    Caddillac T

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: FPR acting up

When vacuum is applied at idle (high vacuum) the diaphragm is lifted pulling open the pintle valve and returning most fuel back to the tank as it is not needed, thus lowering the fuel pressure. With no vacuum the valve stays closed, thus higher pressure. That said, I think it should still be around 45 at idle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.