oil pressure or electrical problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, oil pressure or electrical problems? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; As of late, my oil pressure light has been flashing on and off while braking and only while braking. The ...
    mrhappybizzar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question oil pressure or electrical problems?

As of late, my oil pressure light has been flashing on and off while braking and only while braking. The last time I drove my car it told me to shut the engine off because oil pressure was too low, but this message too only appeared whenever I was braking. I have already taken my deville to the cadillac dealership and they said that my oil pressure sensor was functioning properly and they said that the low oil pressure message was due to the fact that oil was running low in my car, hence the reason I had my check oil level sensor replaced. The oil in my car was so low due to a small leak in my engine casing (which the technician told me was nothing to worry about, certainly not enough to pay the 1800 dollars to have it fixed). I got my car from the shop today and already the message has began to appear again, this time it's more frequent but it's still under the same circumstances. It was my understanding that the oil pressure light would stay on if there actually was something wrong with the oil pressure, which makes me wonder if it is somehow related to the brakes. Is this possible? If so, what is wrong? (Please be tolerant of me, I don't know mcuh about these sorts of things)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: oil pressure or electrical problems?

If there is oil in the crank case my guess would be a bad oil pressure sensor. It is located by the oil filter. You can remove it and put a pressure guage on it to confirm whether or not you have pressure. Most likely you do, and if so, it is a bad sensor that needs to be replaced. I am surprised the dealer didn't do that to comfirm what the problem was.
    By the way, how low were you on oil? You'd have to be pretty low to cause oil pressure problems.

mrhappybizzar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was quite low on oil but I would estimate about a half a quart, seeing as how the check oil level warning is supposed to kick in at a quart and a half I felt the need to have it replaced. I don't know what to say about the oil pressure sensor, the technician at the dealership stated that the sensor was working perfectly, but I do find that rather hard to believe myself.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Have the oil pressure switch replaced. It is really hard to check as it can start to wear on the contacts just at the point that the switch engages causing it to be intermittant. It is really not expensive and relatively easy to replace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.