headgasket being repaired
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, headgasket being repaired in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; put car in the shop a week ago today charging me 1900 with inserts talk to him today and he ...
    coaster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 98sls

headgasket being repaired

put car in the shop a week ago today charging me 1900 with inserts talk to him today and he sent the heads to the machine shop just to make sure there not warped he said very seldom that happens. the gasket on the back side had a small leak should be ready in acouple weeks for that price i cant complain.my sister and her husband and my mom been going to him for years has worked on northstars and said he has done 5 heads jobs so say a prayer for me will keep tou posted

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: headgasket being repaired

That's a real good price you need to share with us where your at and what kind of inserts he's using. (timesert's or Norm's)

I told him that norminsert are what i want put in my sls only thing i have to pay for the insert but i dont mind i live in sacramento ca and the shop is in turlock ca about 90miles south of sac soon as i get the car out of the shop i will post his address and number if every thing goes wright Ill keep you posted thank you

eyekandyboats.inc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)

should have used the search icon first, norm serts arent as good as the studs from www.northstarperformance.com
    they are what you want!

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Make sure you go with either Norm's or my studs. Both are proven, I've heard/seen of one failure with Norm's but don't know about any more. I simply don't like inserts at all. I just did the HG's on a car from Ohio, it left yesterday morning. The HG's were done twice at Harmon Cadillac. Both heads once, one head twice. One side had the 1st repair timeserts and the other had the 2nd repair timeserts. Guess what? All 5 bolts on the top row; that were in the 2nd repair inserts, let go. There was still enough meat in the block to drill and tap for the studs. The car is running great again. That was the first time I received a hug from one of my customers!

If the 2nd time they try inserts, it fails again, it tells you something. I wish you the best of luck in which ever type of repair you choose.

Oh Taylor, give me a call Monday morning about your TCC issue- I'll need a complete list of your PCM codes. Thanks man.

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

At $1900.00 I would make sure that he is repairing all the holes and not just the ones that need it..

Exactly chacenbra - because they ALL need it, even if the tech says the holes look OK.

thank you for the info i was tring to get my car to 97eldo but to far so had to sgo from thereand ettle for this job close to home will call the shop and recommend the studs and see if i can order them from 97eldo and ship them the my mecanic monday morning i will call him at 8am and go from there thanks guys

jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

Let me know the price he gives you when you say you want the studs instead.

I live in the Bay Area and if it happens to my car it would be nice to know a shop close by can do it

i will let you know monday jcrescists

mikelawson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It's unfair to say Norms are not as good as Jake's studs. It's OK to compare and contrast the differences, but in all accounts you know that it's the aluminum threads in the block that fail and never the insert itself, so if both studs and inserts are the same 5/8X11 thread, just how is it that Jake's is automatically better? I have nothing against his studs, but I have used Norm's exclusively with no failures on over 30 cars, with some that are approaching 2 years and 60,000 miles. Honestly, what's the difference between using Norms inserts with ARP head studs vs Jake's studs? Nothing... The "one piece" stud has as many disadvantages and it does advantages. Jake should know that the gaskets are the weak point. Every car has had terrible head gaskets, the graphite simply gets destroyed. If block porosity is the problem, why is it that all the other bolts in the engine doesn't strip? If someone wanted to spend the extra money on studs, I would highly recommend using a MLS gasket. They are the reason you don't see Fords 4.6 having the same issue. Nearly all new engines use these gaskets, so if people are wanting their car to last 15 years instead of the 10 as it did from the factory, using similar gaskets with a different tension mechanism is not going to permanetly fix the problem. I have repaired many vehicles that all 20 head bolts are 100% tight, so in theory if it were 10 years in the future and those were studs would those gaskets have not failed? I am currently working on a 98 Deville with 78k miles on it and it is a perfect example of that, all bolts snapped really hard upon removal, but had trashed head gaskets. I plan on using Jake's studs for customers who request them so I'm not biased nor have any affiliation with Norm, it's just his inserts are the most cost effective repair method available, and to some saving money is their main concern especially given the information that both are likely to last just as long. Honestly I'm not trying to start any wars here, I just want accurate and honest information given to people. Sorry for the long post.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FWIW I use ARP studs and metal sandwich gaskets in high performance Olds455 boat engines and have never had a failure, and some of those studs wind up in Helicoils because of rusted, wrung-off head bolts where some doofus has tried to drill out the busted bolt threads and missed the center, eating the threads out of half the bolt hole. It is nothing less than a PITA to try and re-center a head bolt hole in the block after someone redrills it off-center. (Helicoils in an iron block are OK, but never in an aluminum block.)

I imagine ARP studs in Norm's inserts OR Jake's studs would equally be the Northstar equivalent of the above.

talk to mecanic this morning and he said he order norm inserts should be there in couple days so just have to wait and hope every thing goes rite.i just want my sls to be fixed so i can enjoy my power that it has.

There is simply no comparison for a one piece repair. I am obviously biased but as far as inserts go, Norm's are the best design.

I personally have something against Norm simply for some of the things he's stated about me and the studs on his ebay listings, but that's competition for you.

Coaster I wish you the best with your SLS.

thanks 97eldocoupe thats all i want is for my car to run and enjoy it ithink studs are the best way to go but it is what it is i will let every body know how it turns out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.