110,000 miles, what else should be done along with head gaskets?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 110,000 miles, what else should be done along with head gaskets? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm gonna be having the head gaskets done on my 98 Eldorado soon, going to be using the Northstar Performance ...
    Speedingpenguin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

110,000 miles, what else should be done along with head gaskets?

I'm gonna be having the head gaskets done on my 98 Eldorado soon, going to be using the Northstar Performance stud kit, but my question is what else should I do (just to get it out of the way) while the car is apart and the engine is out? I'd much rather spend the money now while the car is going to be apart and the engine will be out, rather than just doing the head gaskets and then having other stuff start failing shortly after.
    What should I do? I plan on keeping the car long term and want to be able to drive without any issues down the road. How can these motors be made bulletproof? (or close to bulletproof)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 110,000 miles, what else should be done along with head gaskets?

The engine is already bulletproof. If you have no (or only slight) oil seepage from the pan or halfcase seals (they are not gaskets) then do NOT disassemble the lower end. The crank, rods, wrist pins, rings and pistons will last longer than you or me. Just have the stud work done by a GOOD mechanic, clean the piston tops and combustion chambers (don't even take the heads apart), use cam lube on the cams/followers/chains on reassembly, and use a good oil in the engine's recommended viscosity rating. If your mechanic concurs, replace the nylon timing chain tensioner and guide slippers. If any of the plastic vacuum lines to/from the throttlebody are cracked or the rubber connectors look dead, replace it all with proper sized rubber vacuum line. Cheap insurance. Use a WIX 51522 oil filter.

mikelawson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey Sub, on a 2000+ Northstar I would leave the cams in the heads, but the 99 and older flat tappet design definitely should be pulled because many of the tappets on the exhaust side will be worn. Instead of buying new, I would make a trip to the local pullapart and grab used ones, but try to get tappets on the intake side since they don't wear as bad.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yeah, I should have hit on the " '98". I'd hate to have to replace a set of exhaust cams and followers on a pre-2000 though. A local yard or Car-Part would be the best bet in that case............

chacenbra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Cadillac DeVille -- '00 Buick Century Millenium Edition

If a Check Engine light bothers you then you should have the mechanic replace the TCC solenoid if yours isnt already gone then it will be soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.