Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New England area Northstar mechanics? (Head Gaskets)

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Speedingpenguin 
#1 ·
I've finally accepted the fact that my 98 ETC needs new head gaskets (A whopping 8 months and 15,000 miles after MacMulkin Chevrolet/Cadillac in Nashua, NH *supposedly* replaced them :cookoo: before I bought the car) and since I don't want to have to worry about going through this again, I want it done RIGHT by someone who has experience with Northstars, does an EXCELLENT job, stands behind their work, and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

Everything I've read about Northstar Performance up in Ontario tells me THAT'S the place to bring it, and I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to get the car up there and back without too much trouble, but I figured I'd ask and see if anyone has any suggestions for a GOOD Northstar mechanic in the New England area.

I'm in Chelmsford, MA and the car is drivable (I just don't know if I'd be up for a stop-top off the coolant-and go trip across the border 10 hours away. But I might!:lildevil:

#6 ·
Speedingpenguin,

Let me know how you make out with your car. I am next town over, and I also am interested in getting my Son's car re-sealed with Jake's kit.
3 years ago I had a known good junk yard engine put in, but I might make a pre-emptive strike and just get the gaskets done on this engine next Spring.

For the most part it's just a matter of time before they go....

You can e-mail me @ Mark.Barbacano.ctr@Hanscom.af.mil

Thanks,
Mark :D

#10 ·
My junkyard engine lasted 2 years and 23K miles before blowing the HG just like the first engine. I have gone 10K miles and about a year and a half since repairing THAT engine with Norms inserts, which is what I would have done in the first place had I known about this common failure. Today, I would use Jake's studs, although Norm's is working fine also.

#8 ·
Will do, Mark!
Next town over, ZR1... would it happen to be a green ZR1?

#9 ·
Hey Man,

Thanks for the reply....The Caddy is my Son's but of course I take care of it, especially while he's in college. And it's in my garage all winter, no snow for his baby.....LOL

My vette is red, but I used to have a Polo green ZR-1 a few years back...
Don't forget to e-mail me with your results on the engine....

Mark

#12 ·
Dropped the ETC off with Nemesis, waiting for the stud kit to show up, picking the gasket sets up from work tomorrow... Feels good to FINALLY be taking care of the issue, I've really been missing my Caddy for a while. (The last few weeks have been more of a "How far can you make it before your engine overheats" game than an enjoyable driving experience...)

They're going to be taking pictures for their website, too, so check back for updates!

#13 ·
Looks like its gonna wind up being more than just head gaskets... I noticed that Northstar Performance sells reconditioned engines... haha
Weeeee'll see, it sucks but nothing I can do about it now, I just want the damn car back! I'm driving my brothers Stealth in the mean time, and my back is killing me! I want my Caddy back!:emo:

#15 ·
a rapping noise from one of the back cylinders at ~2,500 RPM and intermittent periods of excessive smoke from burning oil from the exhaust...
In addition, of course, to the head gasket/overheating issue
Sweet, huh. :-D

#16 ·
Time for a new engine!
One of the bearings had slipped, among several other problems. Updates to follow, but so far I'm very pleased with how things are going (Considering the fact that it SUCKS that I'm gonna be spending a LOT more than I originally thought....)

#17 ·
Intake manifold all gunked up with oil, thanks to a malfunctioning PCV system

The two bearings on the left came from the cylinder that was making all the noise, the one on the right is what the rest of them look like

You can sorta see where part of the bearing broke off....

Crankshaft was worn down a little bit from the bearing that had slipped....

Chunk of metal in the oil pickup screen...

Perhaps part of my overheating issues...

This timesert didn't wanna let go of the bolt, so it came right out with it! woohoo!

Considering MacMulkin Chevy/Cadillac in Nashua NH replaced the head gaskets before I bought the car last Feb (hasn't even been a year), and I had so many problems with the car right from the start (Overheated literally within the first mile of me owning the car... then MacMulkin wouldn't even send a tow truck 5 seconds down the road to pick it up, making me call AAA and wait an hour in the freezing cold after buying a car from them? WTF?) The mechanic didn't tighten the lower radiator hose. And then after I got the car back, the very next day the left front wheel almost fell off on the highway, destroying the rim (IIRC one stud/nut had broken off completly, and the rest of the nuts were barely a few threads on...), then check engine light issues a few days after getting the car back, again? I'm gonna go ahead and say MacMulkin is a bunch of screwballs that shouldn't be anywhere NEAR anyone's cars, so BEWARE OF MACMULKIN IN NASHUA!!!!!

Anyway, enough venting. Just ordered an engine from Northstar Performance, Jake and his secretary seem like a GREAT people to deal with, and I can't wait to get my Caddy back!

#19 ·
Car has less than 120k (Forget the exact mileage), the engine has been out a few times (most recent prior to this time was good old CrapMulkin), I actually ran into the previous owner and he said he had the head gaskets and waterpump replaced before he traded it in), I stayed ahead of the 5k mile oil change intervals and used Mobil Clean 5000 with an AC Delco oil filter, topped the oil level off @ each fill-up, so who knows what caused this, the engine ran fine up until, well I guess obviously, the last time I started the car before having it towed to Nemesis (started it up, it blew alot of smoke from the exhaust so I figured HG was totally done for so I shut it right off and took my brothers car to work instead)
Whoooo knows. Oh well.

#20 ·
Chris.....that suxs dude!!!! The Caddy i bought from the guy in NH had his work done at Werner Chevy...My car had the pistons, rods and HG replaced at 40k! now i'm at 80k....hope i make it to 100k

#21 ·
haha what's going on, Chris? Yeah it sucks, but at the same time I'm kinda excited to be getting a brand new engine for the ETC., it's gonna be nice when I get the car back! And wow, you haven't seen the car in person yet either, we gotta get together when it's done!:yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.