6 oil leaks; gaskets replaced now intake plenum boot replaced..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 6 oil leaks; gaskets replaced now intake plenum boot replaced.. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'd sure appreciate some subject matter expert feedback... the problems: Have 2002 Deville, 73.0k miles, Maintained by dealer since new. ...
    pdxjoeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 srx

6 oil leaks; gaskets replaced now intake plenum boot replaced..

I'd sure appreciate some subject matter expert feedback...

the problems:

Have 2002 Deville, 73.0k miles, Maintained by dealer since new. has been trouble free mechanically - vogue tires of course have been problematic.

.....Recently dealer found oil leak, turned out there were 6 leaks that requried dismantling the engine and replacing gaskets on the "...three sections of the engine..."

.....This past week "check engine soon" light... Dealer had to replace the "split intake plenum boot".

the reason advised by dealer:

Northstar designed as a race car engine; since I don't drive it hard, these oil leaks/gasket problems are a result.

All seems to be fine now but.... I'm having trouble with the long-term integrity of the engine and certainly owning this car without an extended warranty.

Questions:

1) Am I getting smoke blown in my ear regarding the oil leaks/replacement of gaskets & plenum boot problems; or is there credibility to the dealers opinion that the engine is not being driven as designed (as a race car)?

2) Have other experienced this situation or do I have unique problems?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 6 oil leaks; gaskets replaced now intake plenum boot replaced..

There is some truth to that, but I don't think it pertains to gaskets. Go to the Technical Archives at the top left of this page and read up on "oil consumption" and "full throttle is good for your engine".

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The oil leaks (probably cam cover(s), half case and oil pan) are caused by slow failure of the O-ring style of silicone "gaskets" used. The Northstar is essentially a one-piece engine when fully assembled because there is NO tolerance for parts movement or gasket compression, particularly at the half-case joint. The half-case is essentially all 5 crankshaft bearing lower halves and a stud girdle in one piece. You cannot use a gasket there because of bearing requirements.

The leaks are not a result of not having run the car hard, and the intake manifold plenum leak is an all-too-common post-2000 Northstar problem.

Your engine should be just fine for a long, long time now.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar ^^^, especially the section "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine". Subscribe your car for one or more years to www.alldatadiy.com. Read the entire sticky thread at the top of the main Deville page titled "How to pull codes" and use the URL with "obd2" in the main address line. (Diagnostic trouble Codes, from your car's built-in code scanner/reader.) Then return to the link with any codes and whether they are Current or History and click on the links for P,B,C, and U codes to get definitions.

Read as much of Deville and Northstar Performance as you can stand.

Welcome Aboard !!!!!!!!!!

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I agree with the above, and I don't want to be Destroyer Jr., but after 8-9 years and 73K+ miles, I think you should be at least prepared to hear about one more common gasket failure area - head gaskets.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

If you get past the oil leaks and possibly a set of crankshaft position sensors (extremely common on '00-'03 Northstar's) with no other motor trouble you'll be golden. Since you've already fixed a common problem with your car and the plenum is done, you should be good. Just make sure your coolant is changed on time (5yrs/150,000 miles) and you give the car a good wide open throttle (WOT) to keep everything cleaned out.

You should be fine. Just enjoy your car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.