Chocolate Milk in the oilpan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Chocolate Milk in the oilpan in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi all...Im new to the board and have been reading many posts pertaining to the Norstar 4.6 head gasket problems. ...
    rp29064 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 deville

Chocolate Milk in the oilpan

Hi all...Im new to the board and have been reading many posts pertaining to the Norstar 4.6 head gasket problems. Well, after all the reading Ive done on here I have decided to take on the project on my 99 deville 4.6 VIN Y. I have a lift in my shop so getting the engine out the bottom wasnt bad.
    A little background. I bought the car from a guy who told me that the car was overheating...I checked the oil and saw that there was water in it..hence it looked like chocolate milk. I figured that it was the head gaskets as mentioned on here. I removed the motor and began disassembly of it and got to the point of removing the heads. The part that bothers me is that all 20 bolts made that loud snapping sound as so many mention on here. Furthermore none came out with the threads on the bolts. Some bolts appeared to have oil or gravel on them...but not sure if that was from the bolt hole or from pulling the bolt out. My question is has anyone ever seen this scenario of water in the oil and no apparent bad holes and still had it be the head gaskets? Im worried now that there may be a crack someplace.As far as the gaskets themselves look, there are no real traditional descernable blown spots. Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Chocolate Milk in the oilpan

If your engine has an oil cooler (2 lines running from the oil filter adapter to the front of the radiator, passenger side tank) then those have been known to rupture, putting coolant into the oil. I say engine oil cooler because transmission fluid (cooler rupture driver's side tank) turns the coolant pink.

Pressure test the oil cooler, if there is one - if not, you're in the cracked block arena.

In any event, you now have to insert the block to get the new bolts (yes, new head bolts) to hold.

Wish you had come here before you dropped the engine........20/20 hindsight. But you still have a nice car............

There is no oil cooler on the car. If the block is cracked, is it in the head bolt holes? Will timeserts correct this problem?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Not likely.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Ouch

are we thinking the block is junk? is water in the oil not a common symptom of the head gaskets?

The Northstar rarely puts coolant in the oil when a HG goes. I'm with Sub, oil cooler or block.

Ouch is right! What are my options? Like I said there is no oil cooler. So if is one of the two it leaves the block. Is there a fix? or is the block junk? Is a cracked block a common problem?

Yeah, if the block is cracked, it is junk. I suppose you could find someone who is good at welding aluminum and see if it can be repaired. No, it is not common at all. In fact, from what I've seen here, I'd call it rare.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I think we have read of some people that had obvious external cracked blocks. Pretty sure Jake has also mentioned some cracked blocks.

You could definitely have had a leaking HG with 20 good bolt holes, and my gaskets did not show a coolant leak..not exactly. What I saw was some erosion with no distinct seal line between adjacent cylinders, in the fire ring area...I don't know, maybe that's the traditional blown spot you are referring to?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I did the headgaskets on my dads 99 eldorado. None of the bolt holes were stripped, yet there was coolant in the oil. 2 of the cylinders were filled with coolant as well though. The oil looked like mustard from the dex-cool.

Taspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac SLS

when i pulled my motor i had excessive chocolate milk in the oil pan, but when i pulled the rear head the gasket behind #7 had a 1/4 inch spot corroded away. I replaced my gaskets and used jake's studs. The only issue i have now is the jug on the radiator is dripping now. Most of my bolts came out clean, but when i blew air in the holes aluminum came out at me. Thus the stud kit. the studs are by far a superior design to the factory bolts. Not sure why GM thought it was a good idea to use such a fine threaded bolt for the heads. Just didn't leave a lot of room for any deterioration. Things that make you go hmmmm. I would pull the motor out and break it down. Take it to a machine shop and have them check the block for cracks. Then upon finding a crack just buy one from Jake with studs already in it. new bearings, rings, some gaskets, a little blood, a few knuckles, and your good to go again Good luck.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

The fact that some of the bolts had "oil or gravel" on them means the HG's were leaking. I'm sure all the N* head bolts are in blind holes.

The N* was designed so coolant contaminating the oil through the Head Gaskets is minimized. The HG failure has to be pretty catastrophic to allow coolant to travel that far. The fact you see no obvious HG failure tends to leave a cracked block.

Are you sure you don't have an oil cooler? No engine oil lines going to the radiator?

Update...I brought the heads to the machine shop to be magnafluxed yesterday along with the head gaskets to show them. The guy at the machine shop says both head gaskets were blown between the front cylinder and water jacket. He showed me the black carbon spots between numbers 1 and 2 and the front water jackets. Good news that the gaskets were indeed blown. Im awaiting to hear back about the magnafluxing to check for cracks. I next have to disassemble the short block to have the block mag'd too. He highly reccomended doing rings and bearings because he said lots of late model gm engines are prone to knocks once they run with water in the oil. Can anyone reccomend where tio buy a ring and bearing kit?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I have never heard of that on a Northstar. The bottom end (minus the oil pan gasket) is usually very bulletproof. The only occurrences of bearings failing and stuff like that, that I know of, happened because of oil problems.

However, you should stud the block or at least timesert it before putting it back together. The aluminum is already compromised and you probably don't want to do the job again any time soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.