Another Wont crank issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Another Wont crank issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok. So I just studed the motor and replaced the head gaskets. Car has been down for 4 or 5 ...
    Taspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac SLS

Another Wont crank issue

Ok. So I just studed the motor and replaced the head gaskets. Car has been down for 4 or 5 months...i lost track. Anyway, I've got it back in the car and everything is connected. I get in and put the key in the ignition. Dash lights up and dings at me. Security light stops flashing when i put the key in, but the digital readout say Security system problem. Car probably wont restart. I have no idea where to start. Any ideas? I did make sure everything was grounded as well, and i can hear the fuel pump prime. It has a brand new battery, and alternator as well. I'm stumped.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Another Wont crank issue

Try the other key?

There is a wire around to eliminate the security feature.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    Try the other key?

There is a wire around to eliminate the security feature.
    I only have one key. Isn't there a re-learn procedure for programming the key fobs? my fobs aren't working either. It says Problem with theft system, car probably will not restart. I turn the key and ALL the lights in the car go off. I can hear several relays click under my feet as well. I was trying to avoid the wire around. This thing did work when i took it apart.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Make sure the contacts on the resistor chip on the key are clean. Maybe spray some WD-40 in the ignition switch to help clean those contacts off as well. Put the key in and wiggle it around before trying to start it.

ok. Well, i fooled with the key and did the re-learn to no avail. I am going to test the starter to see if it is bad or locked up, but i still think something else is wrong.

Necrosan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe

Something else is definitely wrong if it didn't do this before. Check your wiring.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I haven't read the whole thread. But try this:

Get a helper to hold the key over to the "crank" position while you hot wire the starter. Hot wire the starter by un-doing the two wire connection the comes out from under the intake manifold. Jump the thicker (purple I think) wire to 12V+ and the engine should crank, and start.

I had a weird problem like this with my '98 once and I did this one time and haven't had an issue since. From an electrical standpoint, it doesn't make any sense. I think somehow I must have had a stuck relay or something.

If it doesn't crank by jumping that thick purple wire to 12V+, the problem lies in the harness that attatches to the starter, or in the solenoid.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Note that disconnecting that starter connector also disconnects the knock sensor, so if a code is thrown that'd be normal.

94CaddyConcours is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1994 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Note that disconnecting that starter connector also disconnects the knock sensor, so if a code is thrown that'd be normal.
    Oh thats what that sensor is between the cylinder 3 and 5. Always thought it was temperature sensor(In airplane it would be CHT, cylinder head temp.) But 93-94 Northstar knock sensor are somewhere else.

Thanks guys. I will hopefully be able to get to this sometime today. Between the rain and being sick i haven't had a chance to mess with it much. I have been saying the last few days that i thought it could be something just hung up from sitting so long. Damn electrical...

Ok. Its fixed. Just a note to anyone working on these things for the first time. The Negative battery cable has to connect to the front of the block. No ground = no start, no fuel, and a theft security problem. It was my ground. I knew it was something stupid. Now all i have to troubleshoot is the p0300 misfire code. It is missing pretty steady. I'll look at the wires again and make sure my plugs are all in right. Probably need to make sure none of them are closed up....which would mean my time chain is a tooth off...hope not.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Pistons won't hit the plugs if they were off by 180 degrees. The piston only comes up so high and the plug never changes position above the piston. Valves are another story.

i think its an intake leak. i reused the gaskets and they look pretty crushed. I'll replace em and see if that clears it up. All the wires are fine and the rattling has ceased.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.