Woohoo...Head gasket repair is done
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Woohoo...Head gasket repair is done in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After 4 months + of the car being on jackstands, it now sits on all 4's. Just have to bleed ...
    Taspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 Cadillac SLS

Woohoo...Head gasket repair is done

After 4 months + of the car being on jackstands, it now sits on all 4's. Just have to bleed the breaks, replace the cat gasket, and put oil in it. Damn thing better run! Thanks to Jake for the studs. I still say I need to add one of those to my "Cool parts" wall. Haha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

olsonscottm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: Woohoo...Head gasket repair is done

Congrats!! It's quite an accomplishment.

I have about 750 miles on my 98 Deville since completing my stud kit/head gasket repair and she's running fine. Nothing better than turning that key and hearing that motor kick off!

If you have low oil pressure (like I did) don't be afraid to crank down on that crankshaft balancer bolt. When I installed mine, I must have not had the balancer seated quite right and actually reached the 37 lb-ft of torque prior to the balancer being up against the oil pump. At any rate, I tightened it up and got oil pressure.

Again, congrats and good luck!

Scott
    Palmer, AK
    1998 Deville

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

been 5 days. whats up? seems a few folks are having oil pressure issues after work. i did also. car sat for 2 months. got a lot of rattle at start. went away after several minutes. did you have your oil pump off motor? i did not but i assume the lifters were drained by having the heads sitting vertical for awhile.

Fired it up yesterday after a couple of days fighting with the security system. Ended up being a ground issue Not sure I have any oil problems yet...no messages or codes. I do need to get an oil pressure gauge on it though to double check. Mine did rattle a lot as well, but i took each lifter out and had to put them in oil and squeeze them till clean non-snot oil came out...took forever. And yes I took the oil pump off to clean it out as well. I had a severely blown head gasket and had coolant in the engine something fierce. A 6 month lazy process, but its done and so far other than my P0300 code I think is the intake or injectors causing, i have no other issues.

lifters out? took out the cams obviously. dang. thats a lot of teardown. my oil light went off after startup but lifters rattled for a few minutes. that was 10k miles ago. i got the p0300 code before the job, not after.

i had everything but the bottom end apart. I had a lack of head gasket between cylinders 6 and 8...about a 1/4 inch broken...was attached just hanging, and i had rediculous amounts of water in the oil. I tore the heads down and the oil pump, then blew out all the oil galleys with air to blow out as much snot as i could. i put a few gallons of diesel i the crankcase and rolled it over a little then drained it. You would've been surprised at what came out. just have a misfire now, and i think its intake gaskets leaking.

i reused the old intake gaskets. the silicone lip was flat but motor seemed to run ok. had slight miss for awhile so i ended up changing the intake gaskets. made no difference. i used autolite single tip platinum plugs and finally swapped them out with proper delco 41-950's and miss seems mostly gone.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    i reused the old intake gaskets. the silicone lip was flat but motor seemed to run ok. had slight miss for awhile so i ended up changing the intake gaskets. made no difference. i used autolite single tip platinum plugs and finally swapped them out with proper delco 41-950's and miss seems mostly gone.
    hmmm...same plugs i bought.

mlprus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 SLS-current 2000 STS-REPO'D in '04 :(

Wasn't Autolite originally a Ford product?

well, ok. Wasn't the plugs. I pulled out my laptop and put the autotap cable on it. I was monitoring the misfires on the individual cylinders and saw that 2 and 4 were misfiring pretty good. I checked and behold, the wires were on backwards. LOL. Anyway, working on the brakes and looking for someone that can repair a leak in the radiator. Seems to be seeping at the jug. If not its a new radiator.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.