Rotten Egg
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Rotten Egg in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Can someone tell me what causes the rotten egg smell? I have a 94 STS and I notice that it ...
    51magnum is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rotten Egg

Can someone tell me what causes the rotten egg smell? I have a 94 STS and I notice that it smells like rotten eggs. :disappoin

I have used the onboard diagnostics to shut off each injector and they all seem to be functioning (RPM changes when each one is shut off).

Anyone?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Rotten Egg

If I'm not mistaken, that happens when your catalytic converter is going bad...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

51magnum is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That is what I always thought but I also heard that was a myth. So hopefully someone knows for sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I believe it is high sulfer fuel. Try a different brand or station. Might also be a rich condition caused by a bad FPR, O2 sensor or leaky injector.

wurstarme is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It depends on the fuel and the condition of the catalytic converter. If the fuel is too high in sulfur, it can cause the smell. If the cat is bad, it can cause the smell. Like others have said try changing your brand of fuel. Even if it's not a no-name brand, change to something else. Also try some fuel injector cleaner.

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Sulphur will render a catalytic converter completely useless pretty quickly. High sulphur fuels will, over time, gradually degrade its effectiveness and the rotten egg exhaust smell is typically the sign that the cat is toast. If it's been getting worse over the past few tanks of gas, the cat is probably a goner or close to it. If it just started with a recent fill-up, get that stuff out of your tank. Injector cleaner won't help with this kind of problem. One tank of sulphur-laden fuel, which is highly unlikely but possible, can destroy the cat. Once the sulphur has infiltrated the catalyst media, it is permanently altered and will not be effective again no matter what kind of cleaning you do. It will have to be replaced.

On an OBD-1 vehicle, there is probably no sensor after the cat to determine its efficiency, so you probably won't see any console messages about exhaust system problems. If you got it emissions tested, though, and the cat is bad, it will fail miserably. On an OBD-II vehicle, 96 or newer basically, there should be a sensor after the cat and it would set a DTC indicating reduced catalytic converter performance. It would show up as a SES light, a console message, or both.

Hope that helps... Good luck!

Michael Cowden
    Mike

carguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That is the "Cadillac converter" not the other.....lol

just kidding. I have heard that so often I just laugh, and now I have a Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.