Rough idle and low speed chug
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Rough idle and low speed chug in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 03 SLS. I have recently aquired a rough idle. I have received these codes. PO300,PO171,PO174,P1360. I have ...
    Daddywheats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 sls

Rough idle and low speed chug

I have a 03 SLS. I have recently aquired a rough idle. I have received these codes. PO300,PO171,PO174,P1360. I have cleaned the maf sensorand checked connections. Really frustrated. Anyone have this problem too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Rough idle and low speed chug

The P0300, 0171, and 0174 codes generally point to a vacuum leak with attendant miss.

Remove the engine beauty cover and start the car. Squirt a shot of carb/choke cleaner or starter fluid at the base of the plenum - that rubber connector between the throttlebody and intake manifold - there's a hose clamp screw down in there - that's where to shoot. Any idle speed change ??? New plenum, $40, dealer part only. (#2 in the manifold diagram.)

Otherwise, go through every vacuum line off the throttlebody to about 3 various sensors/valves. Look for cracked plastic pipes or rotted rubber connectors. Any can be replaced by a proper sizes length of blister-pack vacuum hose from any parts house. Also check the EVAP solenoid/vacuum connector sticking out the back side (driver's side) of the throttlebody. Vacuum there, too.

The PCV system uses a fixed orifice in the rear cam cover, passenger side. Check that pipe and the corresponding PCV fresh air feed in the front cam cover.

Listen carefully at the p/s pump end of the intake manifold: there's a manifold overpressure valve (blowoff) in the intake manifold cavity that sometimes develops a leak. (It's in where the hand is lifting the manifold.)

Is the oil fill cap properly seated and tightened ? a vacuum leak there (!) will set codes. Believe it.........

For the P1360 (Ignition coil group 2 circuit) try disconnecting each ICM connector (in the 2 coil pack legs) and clean the multi-pin connectors with Radio Shack Tuner Cleaner spray. Smear a tad of vaseline around the connector seal ring upon assembly.

Daddywheats is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 sls

Plenum it is. I love this forum. Thanks for the help. Love that even with all the computers and such these days we are still able to work on these ourselves.

OK - go to a NAPA store and get a fuel line quick-disconnect kit. Not expensive. You'll need it for the fuel rail right next to the throttlebody. P/U an intake manifold gasket set at the same time. Keep track of all the O-rings on the fuel injector tips - lube them with a drop of oil when you seat the injectors again. Might as well clean out the throttlebody while you're in there - throttlebody cleaner, a toothbrush, and rags. Get the idle air passage holes, too. Fuzzy pipe cleaners - craft/hobby shop. Don't sweat the inside of the manifold - it will probably be an oily mess - PCV vapor flow - and you can't get to all the nooks and crannies, so let well enough alone. The intake manifold bolts only use 5.5 ft/lb or 89 in/lb of torque - not much, but too much and the composition material cracks at the bolt flanges. Do clean off the overpressure valve flange, but use mineral spirits only - exotic solvents eat the flange seal ring.

3 beers and a sore back. Magic words help.

kckranz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    OK - go to a NAPA store and get a fuel line quick-disconnect kit. Not expensive. You'll need it for the fuel rail right next to the throttlebody. P/U an intake manifold gasket set at the same time. Keep track of all the O-rings on the fuel injector tips - lube them with a drop of oil when you seat the injectors again. Might as well clean out the throttlebody while you're in there - throttlebody cleaner, a toothbrush, and rags. Get the idle air passage holes, too. Fuzzy pipe cleaners - craft/hobby shop. Don't sweat the inside of the manifold - it will probably be an oily mess - PCV vapor flow - and you can't get to all the nooks and crannies, so let well enough alone. The intake manifold bolts only use 5.5 ft/lb or 89 in/lb of torque - not much, but too much and the composition material cracks at the bolt flanges. Do clean off the overpressure valve flange, but use mineral spirits only - exotic solvents eat the flange seal ring.

3 beers and a sore back. Magic words help.
    Sub - Previous post - general engine layout photo - how'd you get all those sponsors to endorse your strut tower brace?

Each one of those stickers is good for 5 hp at redline. I learned that from the CTS and Honda threads.

(The CORSA and Pennzoil are legit - my grandson stuck the others on.)

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Actually who makes that strut, and did it make a difference that you could tell on the cars handling? I don't have one on my 2000 STS and I don't think one from a 97 or prior will fit without reworking the section over the master cylinder and maybe the width.

GM/Cadillac makes the strut tower brace. It was stock on 2000-2003.5 Japanese export Sevilles. Special order at a GM dealer. P/N 25653157. $40 +/-

The only time you'll notice a difference is during a back country road OMG !!! screamer run. Otherwise, bling. The 15mm strut tower bolts use 33ft/lb of torque - use 1 drop of Locktite red on the tip of each bolt on assembly - don't loosen the 3rd bolt. Not necessary.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

45.81 shipped out of gmpartsdirect.com.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.