Overheating Eldorado Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Overheating Eldorado Help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello guys I need some major help. I have just purchased a 2000 Eldorado ETC. It has been overheating. I ...
    tbone2000eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado

Question Overheating Eldorado Help

Hello guys I need some major help. I have just purchased a 2000 Eldorado ETC. It has been overheating. I replaced the the radiator cap (16 psi), new radiator and put a new thermostat in it. The car still overheats with normal driving and requires a top off of the coolant. Water is coming out of the overflow tube. The engine sounds fine and the oil does not appear to have water in it. The car doesn't blow smoke out of the exhaust. The fans come on with the A/C. I have searched this forum and didn't see any prior posts with this problem. I don't think that the head gaskets are bad since it doesn't have any of the "classic signs". I was wanting to know what the community thinks. I was thinking water pump but I am not sure how you would check it. Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give me.

Trevor

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Re: Overheating Eldorado Help

Quote Originally Posted by tbone2000eldo View Post
    The car still overheats with normal driving and requires a top off of the coolant. Water is coming out of the overflow tube. The engine sounds fine and the oil does not appear to have water in it. ... I don't think that the head gaskets are bad since it doesn't have any of the "classic signs".
    Typically you won't get coolant in the oil when an N* blows a Head gasket.

Was it belching coolant out the overflow hose before you changed all those parts?

It appears to me that you have described the "classic sign" of a blown head gasket on an N*... overheating and blowing coolant out the overflow. The coolant blows out the overflow due to exhaust gases slipping thru the bad head gasket and over pressurizing your cooling system making that new safety cap you just bought open up and belch coolant.

Before you spend another dime. You need to check for exhaust gases in the overflow bottle after she belches out coolant with a NAPA block test kit. I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't sound good.

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

I agree with 00 get a block test kit at NAPA ($50.00) and test for combustion gas in the coolant.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

DO NOT do the test right after a top off either.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Pull the purge line from the coolant tank and with the engine idling observe the flow. Should be a steady almost laminar flow with no bubbles in. If you have just topped the coolant chances are some air is left in the system so drive the car for 5-8 miles to allow the coolant to replace the air pockets and then do the purge line test.

mikelawson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Unfortunately it sounds like a bad head gasket. I repair these all time, so if you're interested I can do it for you (have a 97 eldorado I'm repairing this week.). The cost is 1500 + parts, so if you're close to KY we can work it out (if you find it to be head gaskets) or if you're too far away, there are others on here that perform similar services. I totally agree with everyone else on here, get the block test kit and end the guessing game.

Mike

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

I agree with all the above, except I think the $50 for the test kit is an unnecessary expense. Once you have eliminated everything else, you know for sure it's the head gasket. This exact thing has happened to me twice, and both times it was the head gasket issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    I agree with all the above, except I think the $50 for the test kit is an unnecessary expense. Once you have eliminated everything else, you know for sure it's the head gasket. This exact thing has happened to me twice, and both times it was the head gasket issue.
    So he should not waste $50 to find out for sure if he has a blown head gasket and go ahead and spend the $2000-$5000...

Tateos is correct. 50 dollars is 50 dollars and if you have eliminated all other possibilities why waste the money (when a Northstar is overheating chances are it's the head gaskets anyway :-( ). Honestly the block test kit is hard to use anyway unless you've used it before.

$50 is a tank of gas...

When I made the #2 post I was 90% sure that Trevor probably has a blown head gasket from reading his description. Obviously our opinions differ on whether he should drop $50 on an exhaust gas test.

I like to be as close to 100% sure before I would pull the trigger on or tell someone else that they need to drop North of $2000 on a head gasket job... I guess that's just me. Maybe I'm over cautious maybe I'm not. Maybe I would see it different if I was attempting to sell him a head gasket job. Just my 2 cents...

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Did you get the car for a price you couldn't refuse?, I'm not asking what you paid for it,but was it a great price?.

Honestly, I'm not really trying to sell him anything, I just want people to know they have the option, and it's not the 4000+ the dealer charges. I know what you mean about being sure before you repair, but when you have repaired so many of these engines, you know the signs and I have NEVER seen one prove me wrong. At one time I was like everyone else who is just starting to see the signs of failure, which is in denial. These engines will drive you crazy hoping that it's air trapped in the system or a clogged purge line, etc., but the truth is when the engine is fine, the cooling system is very robust and would not overheat even if there is a major leak. It would tell you to check the coolant level before you would start to see the needle rise from half. I have done over 30 of these and what I take away from this is if the temp moves past half while driving a steady speed, EVERYTIME, it has been a head gasket issue. The bigger problem is not only is it 50.00 for the block test kit, it's 150 for a radiator, 50 for a waterpump, 25 for a thermostat, 30 for antifreeze, etc. (not including labor). When you start to add it up, the sooner you come to terms with it being the head gasket, the sooner you can decide what to do with the car, either repair and drive it a long time or unload it cheap. I realize some people or more cautious than others, but when you see this time and again, you pick up on the one's needing repair quickly.

Mike

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelawson View Post
    Honestly, I'm not really trying to sell him anything, I just want people to know they have the option, and it's not the 4000+ the dealer charges. I know what you mean about being sure before you repair, but when you have repaired so many of these engines, you know the signs and I have NEVER seen one prove me wrong. At one time I was like everyone else who is just starting to see the signs of failure, which is in denial. These engines will drive you crazy hoping that it's air trapped in the system or a clogged purge line, etc., but the truth is when the engine is fine, the cooling system is very robust and would not overheat even if there is a major leak. It would tell you to check the coolant level before you would start to see the needle rise from half. I have done over 30 of these and what I take away from this is if the temp moves past half while driving a steady speed, EVERYTIME, it has been a head gasket issue. The bigger problem is not only is it 50.00 for the block test kit, it's 150 for a radiator, 50 for a waterpump, 25 for a thermostat, 30 for antifreeze, etc. (not including labor). When you start to add it up, the sooner you come to terms with it being the head gasket, the sooner you can decide what to do with the car, either repair and drive it a long time or unload it cheap. I realize some people or more cautious than others, but when you see this time and again, you pick up on the one's needing repair quickly.

Mike
    Mike:

Thanks for your support of my opinion about the test kits, but more importantly, you gave a lot more supporting reasons why, once you have eliminated everything else, you can be sure it's the head gasket, or at least something that requires removal of the engine. I suppose, now that I think of it, another test would be to remove the valve covers and try turning each head bolt - the ones that are in stripped holes will turn pretty easily in a mushy manner - the others will be difficult to turn in either direction. Your posts is 100% on the money, IMHO.

Richard Moore

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.