coolant leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, coolant leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a strange one, I had my rad changed about a month ago and I have had to fill ...
    irishbear is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

Angry coolant leak

I have a strange one, I had my rad changed about a month ago and I have had to fill the overflow 3 times now. I took it back and they did a pressure test and all is well. No leaks anywhere. I have had the car checked for gases in the coolant just in case it was my headcasket and all is clear. I use about 1 gallon every 2 weeks. Car is running great and no overheating on the highway. Stays at 196'. Anyone hazzard a quess?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

happyjoey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 deville convertabe

Red face Re: coolant leak

water pump they leak just befor they fail. My 3 days of owning a rare 1986 devile convertable has me installing a new one at no small expence.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: coolant leak

You are leaving 2" - 2 1/2" of air space in the tank aren't you?

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by irishbear View Post
    I had my rad changed about a month ago and I have had to fill the overflow 3 times now.
    How much coolant would you estimate that you added in the past month?

Sometimes these cars will pass a short pressure test. Here's a couple of options to try....

Slide a piece of cardboard under the car when you park it overnight and see if you have any spots from leaks on it.

If you don't... borrow a pressure tester from an auto parts store... some will loan you one for free. Pump up the recovery tank to 15 PSI let it sit overnight or longer and check the cardboard for leaks again.

I had a slow leak on both my 2000 and 2002 that would only leak occasionally and would evaporate on a hot surface before hitting the ground. They would pass a short pressure test (couple of hours) but would fail an overnight check. Both of them ended up being the water pump cover gasket.

brandond25 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville 4.9L

Not exactly sure what to say except for this. If you do end up doing a water pump job, not sure how much of a difference there is between your car and my 95 deville but when you do the water pump, or the water pump gasket, once you pull that pump off for either or, change the water pump inlet gasket. If you dont, you will put the pump back on bolt everything down and begin to fill her up when you notice you are pissing water from the water pump inlet gasket. It happened to me. Just giving the heads up.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

The coolant has to be going somewhere. Note that if you do a test for exhaust gases shortly after adding to or changing the coolant in the recovery tank there is a -chance- you may get a false negative from that test. 3 times in a month is an awful lot of coolant if you aren't overfilling (see Ranger's post above).

No, I am not over filling, 2 1/2" left. It is now losing about 1/4 gallon in 2 days. Checked the oil and antifreeze, they looked good. Drove from Brampton to Pickering and back (180 km) not overheating at all. Stays @ 196 even. No smoke. I will try the test again as well as Monday morning take it to my mech. and have him do the test as well as an overnight pressure test. If you can think of anything else. I will keep you posted.

Northstars don't put coolant in the oil so don't bother looking. It's probably a small leak that evaporates before it drips. Radiator side tanks are a common leak point.

It is a brand new rad, would I still get a leak from the side?

Not likely.

aclin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC

Thumbs up Re: coolant leak

Thanks Ranger. I was having the same problem. I'm new to Cadillacs.Just bought mine two weeks ago. So i was over filling it! makes since because the two times I filled it and would go driving and then park I would smell antifreeze. thanks again! I'm learning everyday.

Unhappy head casket

I could not find my last post as it was moved, so I hope it is ok to start a new one. I took my car in to my mech. today as it was losing coolant. If you remember 1 quart a week. It is not overheating on highway as it always sits @ 196 degrees. We did a gas test last week and it came up negative. My mechanic put the probe into the radiator and got a reading of over 700 (He said it should be near 0). Now my question is, does anyone know of someone who can do a head casket job. I live in Pickering Ontario Canada. I can not afford to go to the dealership for this. The car is mint so I do want to keep it.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: head casket

Head gaskets are expensive (95% labor). Try your local corner mechanic but they are most likely going to be the same as the dealer. Most places go by a book that quotes how many hours a job should take. I'd recommend that you do it yourself. It really is not that hard and you will learn a lot from doing it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

...............or you could contact your Canadian neighbor at www.northstarperformance.com

Does no one know onyone closer, they are down by Detroit, 8 hours away. I am close to Toronto.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.