TCC Stuck Off
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, TCC Stuck Off in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I posted in the big TCC thread but no one has replied back... Basically, the TCC has been on at ...
    jcresciSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Seville STS (November 2012, 183k)

TCC Stuck Off

I posted in the big TCC thread but no one has replied back...

Basically, the TCC has been on at least since July 08, according to the previous owners records. I got the car in May 09. Service Engine light came on a week after buying it and it showed this code. I reset the light on Tuesday morning and it came back on this morning.

Yesterday, when the light was off, I did the test. I drove at 60mph and tapped the brake and the rpms didn't move. I will try the test again today with the light on this time. My mechanic said to leave the light on so he can check the codes with me, I will probably go see him tomorrow.

Also, the light was off, when I bought the car I had to have it smogged and passed easily. Gas doesn't seem to suffer, 24/25 (65mph cruise on), I started getting 26/27mpg but I'm not sure if that was because I turned the light off or because I changed the spark plugs (same day), I will check today on my way to work.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: TCC Stuck Off

Both our cars have the same final drive and gear ratios, so........

Your engine rpm at 60 should be 2000, maybe 2100, highway steady cruise. Maintaining your foot on the gas pedal, a slight press of the brake pedal should allow rpm to increase by 300 +/-.

I'm headed up U.S. 301 in an hour for a 50 mile run to a restaurant - I'll have Karen write down the moderate acceleration shift rpm's and steady state conditions and post them at 10 or 11 tonight. (Plus the rpm change at TCC engagement......)

Ok, so the RPM is SUPPOSED to increase, I thought it wasn't

I believe when doing 65 with Cruise my rpm's are at about 2100

Good news is I got my Coolant Exchange done and AFT Exchange at the local GM dealer, $309 total and the amazingly I benefited from these things:

Tranny feels a bit smoother when shifting and changing gear...car does go up a bit but not as jerky.

Engine is really quiet now, my lifter tick went away and so did the belt hiss.

Doesn't rough idle as bad, its a lot calmer, I'm hoping the wires will solve it completely

OK, Here we go. Average of 3 moderate-throttle standing starts to TCC engagement, trying to hold the same throttle opening (~30 %) for each run.

1 - 2 shift @ 16 mph 2200 rpm
    2 - 3 shift @ 38 mph 3000 rpm
    3 - 4 shift @ 56 mph 2800 rpm
    TCC engagement @ 62 mph, 300 rpm drop.

60 mph = 2000 rpm (Tap the brake and it goes to 2300)
    75 mph = 2450 rpm.

Light throttle slow acceleration TCC engages at about 42 mph, 300 rpm drop.

(Glass of house Merlot, 8 oz. filet (rare) and a broiled crab cake with baby asparagus and red potatoes on the side. Seniors night at the Kitty Knight House, 50% off = $16.55. Not too shabby.)

Hmm ok I will have to check this...

Since my car is running smoother I decided to just pull the codes and reset the light and see what pops up again.

What I pulled was:
    P0300-Misfire...it seems this went away, car engine seems to be running normal
    P1381 - Misfire Detected - No Communication with Brake Control Module
    P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
    P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

The TCC Stuck Off didn't show up

I'll check what I get, I think I have a lead foot but nothing too tremendous. I say this because I know I have a 3000rpm shift but I'm not sure at what speed, it seems like the 1-2 shift but it may just be my acceleration. During light acceleration I can feel a shift around 16mph at around 2200.

I know when doing 65 Cruise on my RPMs are from 2200-2400, depending on slight incline.

P0171/4 is usually indicative of a vacuum leak. Trace down all the intake ducting, the throttlebody gasket, the 3 or 4 vacuum lines attached to the throttlebody casting, and the 2 larger lnes which run from near the ends of the inner faces of the cam covers: the PCV vacuum and fresh air lines. Check your oil fill cap - too much uncontrolled (PCV) air into the crankcase will set a lean code. Last, but not least, intake manifold gaskets and fuel injector lower O-rings.

A can of starter fluid (ether) with the small red tube inserted in the nozzle makes a good vacuum "sniffer": a slight shot of ether near a suspected leak will change idle speed if there's any ingested by a vacuum leak.

I have no idea how a misfire is connected with the EBCM (BCM is Body Control Module).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by jcresciSTS View Post
    Ok, so the RPM is SUPPOSED to increase, I thought it wasn't

I believe when doing 65 with Cruise my rpm's are at about 2100

Good news is I got my Coolant Exchange done and AFT Exchange at the local GM dealer, $309 total and the amazingly I benefited from these things:

Tranny feels a bit smoother when shifting and changing gear...car does go up a bit but not as jerky.

Engine is really quiet now, my lifter tick went away and so did the belt hiss.

Doesn't rough idle as bad, its a lot calmer, I'm hoping the wires will solve it completely
    Correct, IF the TCC is operating correctly. Taping the brake disengages it, thus raising the RPM. No RPM increase indicates that the TCC was not engaged in the first place (as indicated by P0741).

Ok, well the TCC didn't show up.

The light is off now, once it returns I'll pull the codes and see what I have and go from there, regarding both the TCC and the Lean codes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.