Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Ranger My torque struts fill both bills Krashed. Maybe I'm partial, but they are easy to make, ...
    ibm4mad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cotillion White 2002 Deville

re: Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    My torque struts fill both bills Krashed. Maybe I'm partial, but they are easy to make, easy on the eye, and quite functional. Ask anyone who was at the Chicago meet. We did a side by side evaluation with a 2000 RPM brake torque with my car and gdwriters. The difference in engine movement was amazing. Mine was basically nonexistent.
    I like this fabricated strut idea better than the cable idea. It has the added advantage of not requiring anybody to remove their splash shield or go below the car to rig up a cable. Could you tell us what exactly you used to make these and how you did it? It looks from the pictures that some type of pipe was cut and bent, but dimensions, material specs, etc would be helpful.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

re: Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar

It was all done on the fly. The pipe was 3/4" conduit that I had lying around. Both sides are 13". It fits almost perfectly into the lift bracket on the drivers sdie. Drill completely through. Drill size is irrelevant. Just drop a long screw through and put a nut on the bottom. Now you can mark the conduit for where it need to be bent (12"). Take it off and put it in a vice and flatten 4". Then bend a 1" tab at a 90 degree angle. Now you'll have to drill through the front support. Be careful as the radiator hose in on the inside. I realized that the hose would be rubbing on the bolt head and I did not like that so I use a round headed carriage bolt with a square shank. As the nut drew it in the shank turned the round hole square and locked the bolt from turning. I think I might have bent the dip stick tube over a 1/4" or so.

Passengers side was similar except that I had to make that standoff spacer out of a 1" dia. steel bar stock. I measured the length I needed (2"). Then went to the hardware store and bought the correct size and length metric bolt I needed (I think it was 10 X 1.5). The bolt needs to be about 3" long. I measured the bolt diameter and drilled through the spacer with as close a drill size as possible (25/64") to elevate any play. Then I used a 3/4" end mill to mill a U in the end of the conduit. You could do that with a saw and file or a Dremel. It wasn't a real good fit so I beat the conduit into submission as it straddled the spacer. Then simply brazed (or weld) it on as the picture shows. There is a bit of a problem with the other end in that it interferes with the radiator hold down bracket. Since it does not show, I simply removed the bracket, drilled through, cut a slit in the bracket lip and flattened the lip on the radiator hold down bracket so it will fit over the top of the torque strut and remounted the bracket over the flattened conduit. It sits a little uneven, but it's functionality has not been compromised and is under the cover anyway. You will have to cut, mill or file a clearance notch in the flattened pipe to reinstall the radiator bracket mounting bolt. All in all it is pretty straight forward. Just measure cut and bend. The hardest part is making the spacer, but you could probably us a piece of black pipe or such and cut to length. A little Yankee ingenuity always helps. If you do not have any welding capability, you'll need to find a friend or a shop. Can't imagine a shop would charge much if anything at all. Hope that gives you some incite. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

K@ddiD@ddi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Re: Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar

I know im a bit late on this topic but i decided to make one on the fly last night with some 1/4 in copper plate from work and it came out lookin almost like an aftermarket part, i will be making another one with a little more care and more dampening, let me know what you think!!
    Attached Images

Nice job.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

"Both of the arm's bushings are shot. And I'm quite sure they need to be replaced."

In the situation pertaining to the Eldorados, I've noticed those "dog bones" wear out from the torque loads. Can you get the "dog bones" or the mounts themselves in polyurethane?

If you can, how much vibration will be actually felt inside the car?

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

In the idea of fabricating a newer style torque strut, would it be hard to use a heim joint type set up such as something like this: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSC_0020.jpg

You could then adjust it perfectly without too much measuring once you fabricated some brackets possibly.

I don't know if polyurethane is available, but I doubt you'd feel any vibration. Mine are solid and I feel nothing.

The turn buckle set up you have pictured would certainly work, but seems to me to need a little more fabrication than needed to mount. There is really no need for adjustment once measured and installed.

Your imagination is the only limiting factor on how to do it. I recall one guy who made a very nice set of arms that attached to the strut tower cross brace.

power007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS 2001

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

??? Heater piping in a torque strut thread ??? ......... and some have adapted the earlier dog bones shown in the first pictures, but they will NOT fit many later models without some real machine work.

I have a set of "Ranger's Rods" installed - for 6 months now - and am a happy camper. (And the 2002 Seville radiator cross brace does not flex .001".)

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

I want a set of these

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    I want a set of these
    The driver's side is merely measured, bent, flattened, drilled electrical conduit. The passenger side uses a machined standoff boss welded or brazed into a curved cutout on the end of the conduit - depending on the car body, the passenger side has a couple of mounting options.

Doesn't your ETC have dog bones ?

This is from a 2002 Seville, but the idea holds.........as always, measure twice, cut once.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    My dog bones are worn and have alot of play

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

ok i guess im still a bit confused are these just to re-leave stress to allow the motor mounts to last longer without wory of wear ?
    or are these so you don't have to replace alreayd worn motor mounts ?

ok i guess im still a bit confused are these just to re-leave stress to allow the motor mounts to last longer without wory of wear ?
    Yes. They are to hold the engine in place on acceleration and prevent excessive stress on the front mount and prevent failure.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    My dog bones are worn and have alot of play
    Cheaper and quicker to get a new pair (bones only) from Chris at Rippy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.