Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well I've busted 2 motor mounts so far with my 94 eldo, much less of a problem than the 2000+ ...
    Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

re: Fabricated Torque Strut for the 2000+ Northstar

Well I've busted 2 motor mounts so far with my 94 eldo, much less of a problem than the 2000+ type of motor mount. However, what I'm planning on doing when I replace it again is to put a couple of large hose clamps around the new one (Easier to do with the older style because of it having 4 studs rather than 2).

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm not sure a hose clamp will withstand that pressure.

ibm4mad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cotillion White 2002 Deville

Like anything, someone has to try that idea to see how it works. The hose clamp idea is only feasible for the pre-2000 models, which have a square-shaped front mount. The 2000+'s circular mount with very little flat surface area to attach a clamp would just cause any type of clamp to slip off.

The thing is, I think that a hose clamp (with pretty sharp metal edges to it) might backfire on you and actually cut into the rubber, causing the mount to break quicker.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I think where Ranger is going is that a hose clamp or two is nowhere near strong enough to handle the torque loads, for one thing............

That is exactly where I was going. I can just imaging that clamp being torn loose at the screw joint at the first WOT. I just don't think it has the structural integrity to do the job. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I still can't believe Cadillac didn't put dog bones on cars putting this much power to the wheels. They realized this with the '06+DTS which goes back to the older design with dog bones. Those cars are a whole lot smoother when shifting and barely have any motor movement.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by ibm4mad View Post
    Like anything, someone has to try that idea to see how it works. The hose clamp idea is only feasible for the pre-2000 models, which have a square-shaped front mount. The 2000+'s circular mount with very little flat surface area to attach a clamp would just cause any type of clamp to slip off.

The thing is, I think that a hose clamp (with pretty sharp metal edges to it) might backfire on you and actually cut into the rubber, causing the mount to break quicker.
    As a previous poster showed in his diagrams, I think the best way is to wrap around the cradle and the steel BRACKET, not the MOUNT itself. Steel stranded cable should be able to handle the job.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    As a previous poster showed in his diagrams, I think the best way is to wrap around the cradle and the steel BRACKET, not the MOUNT itself. Steel stranded cable should be able to handle the job.
    I think he was referring to what I had mentioned about wrapping a couple of hose clamps around my motor mount, which is the older style. I think he's probably right about it cutting into the mount if I did that. I would have to think of a way around that. I'm a perfectionist, and the cable thing would definitely not be perfection in my opinion. It has to function properly and be aesthetically pleasing. I don't want to put my car on the hoist and have my fellow mechanics say "WTF is that???" lol

Krashed, Hie thee on down to your local sailboat rigging shop, take a look at some of the s/s wire rope work, and tell me that it's anything but efficient and good-looking (plus being hellishly strong).

Wire rope (aircraft control cable) and chain have been used for just what this thread is all about since before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Krashed989 View Post
    I think he was referring to what I had mentioned about wrapping a couple of hose clamps around my motor mount, which is the older style. I think he's probably right about it cutting into the mount if I did that. I would have to think of a way around that. I'm a perfectionist, and the cable thing would definitely not be perfection in my opinion. It has to function properly and be aesthetically pleasing. I don't want to put my car on the hoist and have my fellow mechanics say "WTF is that???" lol
    My torque struts fill both bills Krashed. Maybe I'm partial, but they are easy to make, easy on the eye, and quite functional. Ask anyone who was at the Chicago meet. We did a side by side evaluation with a 2000 RPM brake torque with my car and gdwriters. The difference in engine movement was amazing. Mine was basically nonexistent.

..................and I went right by the fact that Ranger's torque strut idea is the best of all fixes. I'll be there this Fall..........all-thread, L-brackets and all.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

I'm still a little new to N* game so I'm a little confused on this engine mount deal.

So are 2006+ like mine:

Problem free? I only see that one on the left.

However on 2000-2005 Devilles I don't see any upper mounts.

My Eldorado has these:

Both of the arm's bushings are shot. And I'm quite sure they need to be replaced.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

On the Eldo, you replace the entire strut, not just the bushings, very cheap at Rock Auto - I think maybe less than $20

GM quit using the torque struts around '98 or '99. I think they went back to them in '05 or '06. Not sure why, but it was not a good idea. That's why I fabricated a set.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

GM first quit using the dogbones on the 5th Generation 1998 Seville. I'm sure this was to save costs over the previous generation. Then the Deville followed suit in 2000 when it switched over to the Seville's G-body based K platform and it stayed like that until 2006 when GM switched over to the DTS name and went back to the old dogbones. The Eldorado always had dogbones, even after the 2000 revision that went to COP ignition. I wonder though did any G-bodies use dogbones? The G-body platform included the Aurora, and was the basis for the '98+ Seville and '00-'05 Deville though both of those use the designation K-body.

It also makes me wonder if the elimination of dogbones led to quite a few of the suspension problems these cars suffered from. I'm sure it didn't help, but then again I don't think it caused it because a few of the '06+ DTS's i've driven still shake.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.