My pulley melted
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, My pulley melted in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Today I got to work and smelled someting like burning plastic. Didn't think much of at first since I work ...
    raoul742024 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Base, 1992 Buick Roadmaster Limited

My pulley melted

Today I got to work and smelled someting like burning plastic. Didn't think much of at first since I work on a construction site. When I went to lunch my car's coolant temp hit 250 degrees. After I let the car cool down and got back to the job site I checked ton see what was wrong. The pulley next to teh tensioner for the water pump melted and the belt came off. What gets me though is the belt still looks really good. I need to know what that pulley is called. I can't seem to find a name for it. Also how hard would it be to change it? it doesn't look as bad of a job as I originally thought, but I've had jobs like that before that took all day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: My pulley melted

You just need the puller/installer tool and it is pretty much like removing a power steering pump pulley.
    Check the water pump to see if it locked up.
    If it did it stopped the belt and melted the pulley.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It's the water pump drive pulley. It is attached directly to the intake cam. It does not have a bearing so follow Ewill's advice. Something else caused the problem. Maybe the tensioner pulley.

Both the tensioner pulley and the water pump spin. So I don't think any of them locked up. What I think happened is that the tensioner pulley and drive pulley were rubber due to too small of a belt. I'm still going to check everything out though. Thanks for the quick replies.

I can't seem to find the drive pulley anywhere. Does anyone have a part number? I think I might have found one on Jegs.com, but I'm not sure. Also I came across a pretty detailed right up of a northstar rebuild on the fiero forums.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Jeg's won't have the main (cam driven)(snout on the intake cam in the diagram) water pump pulley. Dealer only. One of the usual GM parts online sites posted here.

Needs a claw puller with tapered center pin and a special installer or some clever work with lubricated bolt and washers.

Northstar rebuilds and mod installations for Fieros and sand rails bear absolutely no resemblance to a FWD Seville/Deville/Eldorado engine.

Make sure the water pump pulley spins smoothly and is quiet, try to move the pulley laterally and see if it will move. You could have a part time bearing, part time brake in there.
    Those cam pulleys don't melt for no reason.
    I'd hate to see you do that work and have it happen again.

Tommy Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None

That happened to me onuce, I replaced both pullys & the belt. It's an out of no where type of thing.

Sonny's DEville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac DeVille

This just happened to me yesterday. Both the tensioner pulley and the water pump pulley both broke. The belt is in bad shape too. I can't seem to find these parts anywhere... Can someone direct me to where I can get the 2 pulleys and the belt? Thanks

Belt and tensioner assembly: www.rockauto.com. Drive pulley or all 3: www.gmotors.com (Palm Chevy/Cadillac, Gainesville, FL), www.gmpartsdirect.com (Flow Chevy/Cadillac, Winston-Salem, NC) or Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac, over there >>>>>>

Sonny's DEville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac DeVille

I can't seem to locate the parts from those websites...

Probably because the base 1995 DeVille is listed as having a 4.9L engine, not a 4.6. The 4.6 water pump arrangement bears no resemblance to a 4.9.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Go to gmpartsdirect, send customer service an e-mail with your VIN# and the parts you need and they will reply with part#s and costs. A very good source, very good people, if you are not in a great hurry - otherwise go direct to the dealer. I got my water pump drive pulley (actually labeled for power steering) remover/installer at Harbor Freight for $10 and it worked great.

I've been trying to figure this out for some time now without pulling the water pump. The water pump pulley won't move. How could I fix it. The pump is a year old. Ewill3rd what do you mean by a part time break? Is there something I should look for or do I have to pull the water pump?

What I meant was sometimes when the bearings start to go it will spin sometimes and lock up sometimes.
    Meaning... it could have stopped spinning to melt the pulleys but then started rotating again to make you think it was okay.

If the belt is off and you cannot rotate the water pump it is locked up. You need to replace it.
    On the N* you need a special socket that you can buy, borrow, or rent from almost any parts store.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.