No current codes but...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, No current codes but... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This is puzzleing to me, I am giving themagasket a try in my 99 Eldorado. (beats $3000 for head gasket ...
    Bill Wagensveld is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 90 Eldorado, 95 STS, 99 Eldorado

Question No current codes but...

This is puzzleing to me, I am giving themagasket a try in my 99 Eldorado. (beats $3000 for head gasket repair if it works!) Just about finished the procedure and it appears to be working! Since I was getting so much fluid into the combustion chamber I was getting a misfire code. Themagasket works by finding "heat spots" and filling them, they have a special "procedure" for Northstars. One of the parts is three trips at highway speeds and then let the car cool completely after each. I thought that it would be a good idea to replace all spark plugs before the third run. (how can it find heat spots if you are misfireing in a cylinder?)
    Anyway, on to my real question. Is their a "push button" option in the 99 Eldorado to clear codes? I am showing a few "history" codes" but NO CURRENT CODES. If their are NO current codes the engine light should NOT come on. Am I wrong with the last line?

Thanks for any info, Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: No current codes but...

Bill, I hate to burst your bubble, but we have been down this road many, many times. NO repair in a bottle will work. The head bolt threads have pulled and need to be repaired with Timeserts http://www.timesert.com or Norms inserts from Ebay. If you are close to London Ontario, see Jake. http://www.nothstarperformance.com. Any improvement you see will be temporary at best. Do a search and look for Rfishing's lengthy and painful post on Thermogasket. As to your question, yes you can clear the DTC's via the DIC. See the sticky at the top of the forum page.

In my financial position, I can deal with a yearly cheap "fix" rather than the $3000+ gasket repair job. I stopped driving it when I started going through a jug a day. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't, seems to be working so far for me. I am in Alberta, about 3-4000 k's away from Jake, but he does offer rebuilts CHEAP, $2500 Can plus $200 shipping. By the way he DOES NOT use timeserts, they have developed thier own stud kits selling for about $500. He says even GM mechanics buy from him. His rebuilts come with them installed. I have looked at the sticky on codes, otherwise I wouldn't ask. The only mention about clearing codes is if you have a newer model with THREE buttons on the right side of the DIM. I know I can clear codes off my 90 Eldorado, but there is no mention of a button combination to clear codes in my 99. Could someone just answer my basic question, if I have no CURRENT codes then my service engine ligh should not come on right?

Mr. Bill

Correct, there should be no SES light with no current codes. Once in the diagnostic mode high fan = yes and low fan = no to the prompts after the codes are displayed. Answer no until prompted to CLEAR CODES?

I am aware of Jakes stud kit, that is why I posted the link. I mentioned the Timeserts because that is the GM recommended repair. I think the studs are better.

Thanks, I will try that to see if fan up or down works on my year. This should maybe be added to sticky.

P.S. I just went through ALL of Rfishings thread and I don't think that it is fair of you to knock a possible fix over that for a couple of reasons.
    1. The thread was MOSTLY about bars with a couple of thermagasket mentions and it sound like the guy totally screwed his system with a MEGA overdose of bars. After that I doubt ANYTHING could fix it.
    2. That thread was started in 05 and through 06, I believe that SINCE then thermagasket has TOTALLY revised their procedure specifically for Northstars. (They tell you to completely ignore normal application manual)

Took the car for the third highway run this afternoon, no smoke, no loss of coolant. NO MORE CURRENT MISFIRE code. (hence my original question) Will keep you posted on future results.

P.P.S. If their is a user with the name Mr. Bill that it no longer active, can I have it? ha, ha,

Mr. Bill

I'm just trying to give you the straight scoop and save you the trouble, but you can prove it to yourself. There is no product in the world that can repair pulled threads and that is what your problem is. Believe me Bill, you are not the first to try this. There was a thread over at caddyinfo where the guy claimed success. It failed shortly after, but he didn't bother to tell anyone of it. I'll see it I can find it.

EDIT: Found it.
    http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.p...6&st=0&start=0
    Granted, this thread is about Heal-a-Seal, but it's the same stuff I believe.

P.S. I see no Mr Bill or MrBill listed. Did not check for Mr. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm just trying to give you the straight scoop and save you the trouble, but you can prove it to yourself. There is no product in the world that can repair pulled threads and that is what your problem is. Believe me Bill, you are not the first to try this. There was a thread over at caddyinfo where the guy claimed success. It failed shortly after, but he didn't bother to tell anyone of it. I'll see it I can find it.

You can't save me the trouble, I have done it already, pay attention. Look I am new to the forum but I have been useing this site for a referance for YEARS. I am certainly not here to argue with you or cause a problem and I definately believe you that NOTHING will fix pulled threads, but.... I am not a mechanic but I am an intellectual knolageable person that is not afraid to get my hands dirty. (I did the water pump and alternater in my 90, I did the starter in my 95, (what a headache, not like 4 bolts in 15 min) If I can admit to your point about NOTHING will fix pulled threads then you must admit to my point which is..... Let me put this in perspective, any time you get a toothache do you imediatly go get it pulled? Of course not, there are VARYING degrees of a toothache and varying degrees of a tooth problem, right. Just because someone's engine overheated a couple times or so and their head gasket became compromised, (heck, it could become compromised just from age and preasure without ever overheating.) does NOT automatically mean that their bolt threads were pulled! All three of my northstars had coolant burning problems but the first two I stopped with just standard no-leak products. You are going under the assumption that EVERY northstar that ever overheated and has gasket problems has pulled threads, DEFINATELY NOT THE CASE. I stopped driving the 99 Eldo since it was senceless to put in a jug a day. Like I said earlier, most thread about the subject are a question followed by a bunch of sceptics. Granted it is still early, but this is not a sludge fix, it is metal BONDING. I just went within days from.....
    1. Much white smoke
    2. Misfire code (So much coolant going into #1)
    3. Earlier stated could do a jug a day (Or more easy)
    4. Rough running (Due to misfire)
    5. Increased fuel comsumption (Obviously) TO.....

1. NO more smoke
    2. SES light went off after a few runs, NO current misfire codes.
    3. NO water added for a couple days already
    4 Might be running better than it did when I bought it two months ago. No misfire codes
    5. Fuel comsumption back to normal.

Granted, this thread is about Heal-a-Seal, but it's the same stuff I believe.

Apples to Oaranges

P.S. I see no Mr Bill or MrBill listed. Did not check for Mr. Bill
    I see no option of changeing user name, you are a moderater, can you make it happen, Mr. Bill I believe I was turned down for a few options so I just used my name, hope I haven't pissed you off. Mr. Bill

I can't change your user name. I think an admin might be able to do that for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.