Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2000 eldorado and the Barrs Head gasket repair mix with any anitfreeze worked on my car! It ...
    cbc
    cbc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 eldorado

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

I have a 2000 eldorado and the Barrs Head gasket repair mix with any anitfreeze worked on my car! It has held so far for 1 yr and 9 months! I live in FL and it has worked thru 2 HOT summers! Car had only 120000 miles at time repair was needed and it flipped last weekend to 150k and I stomp on it and no problems!! so all you who say you can''t get a miracle in a can maybe not but I say I got one in a plastic bottle! Yes I too like to fix things right but I just cant afford to do that fix for I am a woman and have to do all my repairs myself for shop fees are out of my reach. I thank the makers of these easy fixes! Have had no problems with the car since no codes gets 18 mpg in city, and 22-28 on Hwy and for a old big car I think thats good! straight up NORTH its a STAR!

maeng9981 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by cbc View Post
    I have a 2000 eldorado and the Barrs Head gasket repair mix with any anitfreeze worked on my car! It has held so far for 1 yr and 9 months! I live in FL and it has worked thru 2 HOT summers! Car had only 120000 miles at time repair was needed and it flipped last weekend to 150k and I stomp on it and no problems!! so all you who say you can''t get a miracle in a can maybe not but I say I got one in a plastic bottle! Yes I too like to fix things right but I just cant afford to do that fix for I am a woman and have to do all my repairs myself for shop fees are out of my reach. I thank the makers of these easy fixes! Have had no problems with the car since no codes gets 18 mpg in city, and 22-28 on Hwy and for a old big car I think thats good! straight up NORTH its a STAR!
    What symptoms did you have that made you decide to put sealer in your system?

CADI LOVE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS

Unhappy Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

what is the stud conversion and how exactly is it a permanent fix when all else fails...my first cadi blew up while driving on the highway to work..it was a '94 SLS...JUST BEAuTIFUL!...and i had no choice but to sell to the highest bidder in that condition because it happened during a time when i was behind on everything and now i have a '99 STS...another BEAUT,but now its at the beginning stages as far as i can tell...it just started running low on coolant a few days ago and now it will not stay in long enough to do anything.. on top of that i noticed white smoke coming from the front of the car twice. once by the windshield and another time out of the grill. it had been running hot a lot before all of this even started happening....no bubbles in coolant...no milky oil...no nothing noticeable like to my knowledge as i have checked these areas...maybe overlooked,but seriously doubt it...NEED ANSWERS! FEEDBACK

----------

Again!!!!... What is a stud and how much does it cost and is it really a permanent fix?...???http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...16suspect1.gif

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Studs - as refers to cylinder heads and repairs for failing head gaskets. The cylinder heads are presently held down/clamped by 10 high tensile bolts per head. For several reasons the cylinder block head bolt hole threads may/might/could/can fail, allowing the bolt(s) to release the clamping pressure. This causes either coolant corrosion of the gasket itself or failure of the gasket through leaking combustion gases. The fix (nothing is "permanent") is to remove the engine and cylinder heads, machine and thread new cylinder block bolt holes, and install either steel thread inserts (NOT Heli-coils) for new head bolts or install head studs which use nuts and washers for clamping pressure.

Steam coming from the engine room or at the windshield vent area is not failing head gaskets, it's cooling system leaks. Know that a Northstar with head gasket symptoms does not normally put oil in the coolant or vice versa (milky oil, oily coolant).

If you need head gasket repairs, studs or Norm's Inserts will go for about $1200 - $1400 in parts with YOUR labor, engine out of the car. Local good shop work, $2500+. Dealer, $4,500+.

You might first do a bit of homework and go to the thread near this one titled "best of luck................". It's a stud discussion.

For more stud pictures find threads of interest in the Northstar Performance forum or open the "HERE" link in the message from Jake in www.northstarperformance.com

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

You have an external leak, not a HG failure.

ddgm69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 98 Deville that had a blown head gasket and NOBODY would fix it? Then I found Greg Allen at Allens Auto in Campbell Cali, next to San Jose. He worked as a Cadillac Mechanic for 10 years before he opened his on shop. He did it for $1500 and now the temperature stays at 197• not 260 & over heating. Its been 2 years and sum change worth every penny, I LOVE MY CADI!

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by ddgm69 View Post
    I have a 98 Deville that had a blown head gasket and NOBODY would fix it? Then I found Greg Allen at Allens Auto in Campbell Cali, next to San Jose. He worked as a Cadillac Mechanic for 10 years before he opened his on shop. He did it for $1500 and now the temperature stays at 197• not 260 & over heating. Its been 2 years and sum change worth every penny, I LOVE MY CADI!
    $1500 for an HG job is a steal.

Did he repair all 20 head bolt holes?
    What method of thread repair did he use? (Timeserts, Bigserts, etc...)
    Did he supply all parts?

www.allensautorepair.com

tarat676 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 cadillac seville sts

Hello I am new to the forum so please excuse me if i did not post this right. I have a 97 cadillac seville sts arizona edition, I was informed that the
    head gaskets are blown from a radiator shop that i took it to so they could do a cleaning of the cooling system. I guess they did some kind of pressure test and gave me the great news. The mechanic said it just started, I have no smoke from tailpipe no milk shaky oil, just the typical overheating issue. I have not driven it since so as not to damage it more. I know that i should repair it correctly but it is not possible for me as i do not have the proper tools and such. I really only need it to drive to store and nearby destinations which does not entail much mileage. I want to use a head gasket sealer for now and have doing much research on which one i should try. My question is this, does it matter what the extent of the damage is as to which sealer i should use. As i stated before no smoke and no milk shaky oil, just the overheating issue. Any suggestions from you very savvy caddy owners out there would be greatly appreciated. thank you

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

If you are only driving short distances, just keep an eye on the coolant level in the overflow tank and watch the temp gauge. The bottle products will not work and only make later repairs more difficult as you have to clean all the crud out from the sealer from all the coolant passages.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Snake oils can clog your heatercore too

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Snake oils can clog your heatercore too
    clogged mine

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You will probably never get oil contamination from head gasket failure in these engines - if you do, it's rarer than hen's teeth.

Just don't pour in any sort of goop - it will only make matters worse for you and even worse for a possible buyer who would do a top overhaul on the engine.

The "extent of the damage" in a Northstar is actually a moving target - the clamping force of the headbolt(s) is compromised, so the problem only gets worse over time - it's sort of like pouring cement into the San Andreas fault in order to stop it: It won't work.

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by tarat676 View Post
    Any suggestions
    DO NOT use this "repair in a bottle". Use Northstar Peformance's Suregrip studs or Norm's certs.

Glenn Delwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille Concours

Somebody watch this video and send me a bottle. Scratch that, I'll take a whole case of bottles.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

I've said it before... Trying to fix a Northstar head gasket with goop in a bottle is like thinking you can fix a rip in your pants by pouring alfredo sauce over it in hopes that when it dries crusts over it the tear will be fixed.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.