Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; To OP: Thankyou for your well written contribution to the forum. Please continue to update us. To all: I realize ...
    stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

To OP: Thankyou for your well written contribution to the forum. Please continue to update us.

To all: I realize the bottle fix is only a bandaid and with only a slim chance of temporary success, I'm fine with that reality. However, just for arguments sake, in my family we have 2 N* caddy's and their a pleasure to drive. But when and if a HG fails, you can take it to the bank, I will be dumping in some "fix it in a bottle". The way I see it, my family's Caddys are worth about what they weigh. I'm not going through the headache of "fixing" them.

BTW: Just to throw a wrench in the cog. My ol'roommate had a mid 90s 4cyl. S10 (also known for HG failures), it had all the signs of a HG failure and tested +. He poured in some super duper HG fixer, drove it like he hated it for 2+ years. Never got hot and didn't lose coolant.

Eric

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

I just did something similar with my friends 2003 Impala but with the air conditioning system. I dumped in a $20 can of this "super duper leak stopper" and then (after vacuum) dumped in 2.5 cans of R-134a w/leak stopper. The key is to take it on long drives so the leak stopper can plug the hole. Some people just dump it in and forget about it and don't realize that the goop needs to circulate to plug the hole. Its been a few weeks and it has held up well. Yeah -- I know where the leak is -- needs a new condensor but my buddy doesn't want to pay the $70 for the part nor do the labor.

I did the Northstar Performance repair with my '99 Deville and I do think it is a good value as the repair was done the right way and I believe it will almost run forever vs. using the goop in a bottle trick. I do agree though that if you have nothing to loose and you don't give a damn, then try the goop in a bottle trick. If you want to actually keep the car, then do it correctly by studding it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

BTW: Just to throw a wrench in the cog. My ol'roommate had a mid 90s 4cyl. S10 (also known for HG failures), it had all the signs of a HG failure and tested +. He poured in some super duper HG fixer, drove it like he hated it for 2+ years. Never got hot and didn't lose coolant.
    There's a reason why the HG-in-a-can works on those cars and not on N*

Quote Originally Posted by stngh8r View Post
    To all: I realize the bottle fix is only a bandaid and with only a slim chance of temporary success, I'm fine with that reality. However, just for arguments sake, in my family we have 2 N* caddy's and their a pleasure to drive. But when and if a HG fails, you can take it to the bank, I will be dumping in some "fix it in a bottle". The way I see it, my family's Caddys are worth about what they weigh out. I'm not going through the headache of "fixing" them.
    If this is your attitude you would do yourself (and the general cadillac community) a service to forget the HG-in-a-can and sell to salvage yards
    at least the engine would have a chance to be repaired by someone in the future - these 'band-aids' usually screw up the engine making it worth less
    you can maximize the value of the 'junk' vehicle by parting it out yourself and cutting out the middlemen at the salvage yards (if you have the time and space to do it)

just mho
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

johnny kannapo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado

I forget the name, this bottled miracle elixer came up with this perminant headgasket repair kit. If you see this walk away.

stngh8r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 STS, 1991 Chevy RC w/500 CAD

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    If this is your attitude you would do yourself (and the general cadillac community) a service to forget the HG-in-a-can and sell to salvage yards
    at least the engine would have a chance to be repaired by someone in the future - these 'band-aids' usually screw up the engine making it worth less
    you can maximize the value of the 'junk' vehicle by parting it out yourself and cutting out the middlemen at the salvage yards (if you have the time and space to do it)

just mho
    Most of the time I would agree with you 110%. And I would part out what I could. (Actually I'm parting out 2 vehicles as we speak. A supercharged, built bottom end, cammed 96 Mustang and a 01 GMC Sierra SLT).

It just seems to me with most of these Caddys age and mileage, they arent worth much even running. I have shopped for used parts and the supply is much greater than the demand. Heck, I know of 4 otherwise perfect condition cars within my small town area that have HG failure.

Eric

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

i think that if this stuff works in a N car then who ever diagnosed that car with a bad HG miss Diagnosed it and the hg was fine just my apinoion

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by johnny kannapo View Post

I forget the name, this bottled miracle elixer came up with this perminant headgasket repair kit. If you see this walk away.
    No such kits can repair this

other than replacing.

i remmber when i told my dad about the first time when the Hg's went spring of last year he tried to insit on this he googled northstar head gasket and that came up omg he belive this shit to lol
    i asked him for a 1000 dollar loan for 1 month
    all i had was 1500
    so he starts in with well ill tell you what you buy this give it a try and then if it doesnt work ill give you the 1000 no loan just give it to you i was like no sorry
    so after a few days i convinced mom to tell him to give me the money for a month lol
    good old mom alwyas helps out when it comes down to a jew that does not part with there money to anyone exsept them selves lol = My Dad ))))

anyways this all bring sup that memory omg i will never use that stuff and
    just tibit of info here not sure evyerone understands this product but its not a bottle merical fluid they even say in the norhtstar they have to add an adition part that goes above or below the t-stat i belive it goes in below the t-stat helps brings out or push back fuems before they get realeast in the heads or something like that wich im not really shure how the hell that works
    but still i think its bogu and will never ever belive it
    and i think they should be sewed for calling it a repair

98eldo32v is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

I can't believe after 2 years, 97 replies with illustrations and 24,000 plus views that this thread STILL has life?!

How can anyone believe that something in a can, can possibly repair something like this is unbelieveable. Even IF it could, what happen to reliability? What happened to peace of mind?

What happens if this decides to fail while driving across Arizona in 100 degree weather?

I'm stunned that this is still going......

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    No such kits can repair this

other than replacing.
    You're right!!!

That stuff on a bottle can NEVER fix a messy garage!!

fwiw, the poop in a bottle was designed to fill in holes in a BAD HEAD GASKET, not replace MISSING HEADBOLTS.....and on the NORTHSTAR, you blow headgaskets because the headbolts start pulling out....which is the same as MISSING HEADBOLTS. If this crap worked for MISSING HEADBOLTS, then GM would be using it when building new cars......just use half the number of headbolts, and "fill er up"
    maeng9981 and maeng9981 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
    You're right!!!

That stuff on a bottle can NEVER fix a messy garage!!

fwiw, the poop in a bottle was designed to fill in holes in a BAD HEAD GASKET, not replace MISSING HEADBOLTS.....and on the NORTHSTAR, you blow headgaskets because the headbolts start pulling out....which is the same as MISSING HEADBOLTS. If this crap worked for MISSING HEADBOLTS, then GM would be using it when building new cars......just use half the number of headbolts, and "fill er up"
    just a fyi its not always the headbolts pulling that cause the hg's to fail
    on the N's

I have had atleast 3 Mechanics that have told me they have pulled apart more N's from Headgaskets then Head bolt failure 2 of them have told me they have had atleast 2 or 3 over the last 10 or so years that when they puulled them out they head bolts came out without pulling part of the block out
    and these are guys that have doen sevral N's not just 1 2 3 or 4 but probalby 1 2 3 or 4 a year i found this out when i was looking for a shop to Rebuild my Engine with a new block and all this past winter but they told me more times then not there has been problems do to someone thinking that just because dex cool says how ever many years and miles that they think it can go that long and other problems so not always the head bolts all though its more comon to hear a HG in a N going because of the head bolts

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    I can't believe after 2 years, 97 replies with illustrations and 24,000 plus views that this thread STILL has life?!

I'm stunned that this is still going......
    Simple: Because new members come in here every day who don't know the full story, have only misinformation or hearsay for knowledge, and fervently want to hope and believe that $23.99 will fix their $7,000 engine.

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - you either repair it correctly, fence it off on some unsuspecting fish, or junk it.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Rumor has it that Bernie Madoff was selling Cadillac head gasket repair in a bottle. It was too good a scam to pass up.
    98eldo32v and 98eldo32v like this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

mmidyette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Gold with Black Int.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Rumor has it that Bernie Madoff was selling Cadillac head gasket repair in a bottle. It was too good a scam to pass up.
    Bernie thought about it, but decided that it was too unethical.
    89falcon and 89falcon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmidyette View Post
    Bernie thought about it, but decided that it was too unethical.
    no thats not it
    he said it was to much of a risk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.