Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i was at the autozone on rockside in cleveland today and walked down the isle saw this crap and turned ...
    ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

i was at the autozone on rockside in cleveland today
    and walked down the isle saw this crap and turned around and loughed thought to myself if only i had an idea like this to make a fortune and get ppl to think there car is fixed but it isn't

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i just sent a PM to twinbopilot asking him to come back and give us an update...

he hasn't logged in to the forums since november last year and his last post was a year prior to that (post #31 in this thread actually)

anyone want to take me up on a bet that his fix in a bottle failed again and was temporary at best?
    (notice that post he mentions that it failed but he was going to use it again)

the reason that people can be deceived into thinking that these things work is that the HG failure is often very slow... and you can get by driving w/ failed head bolts for an undetermined amount of time (until it gets to be too bad) - they might give you some extra time but as Jake knows they make the permanent fix a tougher job since they 'mess' up the engine in the process of buying you a little bit of time (maybe)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

They never come back to say that it didn't last. They don't call it "hope in a bottle" for nothing. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

never come back only talk good about it but feel dumb when it doesn't work so they don't come back to admit it didn't work
    that is why these products have the hype they do because everyone is saying it worked but when it stops working they are to fooled and feel dumb to come back and say i was taken for a ride

twinbopilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Thumbs up Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Sorry to disappoint all you doubters, but the car is still driven to work five days a week and has seen a road trip or two since the repair. I've had no further issues except the water pump belt tensioner failed but obviously unrelated. I say try it and if it doesn't work send it back to the manufacturer for a full refund. That's what I was planning to do because I was sceptical too but the product made a believer out of me. Certainly someone else here has $30 to try it and post results???

IM sure that if the Company wanted to offer a deal like here is the product we will hold your card number or check for 30 or 60 days if your not happy and it doesn't work return it and we won't charge you for it
    but the problem is no one wants the hassle of having to be charged then item not working then possibility of company saying well you did something wrong its not our fault
    let someone try it out for free and only charge them if it works and they keep the system
    if not then maybe there is a reason ppl don't want to put 30 out if its only a temp fix why waste there money when they could save it up to fix it properly the way that is know

glad to hear its still working for you

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

in post #1 (heretofore known as the OP) you mention foregoing the exhaust gas test based on your own 'sniff' test
    you also mention leaving the cap off and watching the bubbles... the car WILL boil over if you leave the cap off and idle for a while

also you mention losing coolant out the overflow, which often happens when people simply add too much coolant

couldn't your problem really have just been something like a blocked purge line?

and you basically just did a coolant exchange to water then ran their 'nano-tech' in the water for a while... then drained again and filled up w/ dexcool?

how sure can you really be that your 'coolant flush' didn't just simply clear a blocked purge line and you're head gaskets (and bolts) are just perfectly fine?
    and if that's the case, then still there's no guarantee that the headbolts will continue to hold up...
    but worrying about that is kind of like worrying about natural disasters... if you think about it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Yeah - if anything in a bottle "fixed" a N* HG problem, then it wasn't a HG in the first place. I can believe that on most engines, it's at least possible that a product in a bottle could seal a small leak FROM the ~15 PSI cooling system, into the crankcase or leaking externally - that's basically the purpose of the GM coolant tabs recommended on a lot of the earlier engines. What I don't believe is possible is for an additive to seal on a N*, where you have loss of clamping pressure due to pulled bolts, and as a result, gases are leaking from the ~175 PSI combustion chamber INTO the the ~15 PSI cooling system.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by twinbopilot View Post
    Sorry to disappoint all you doubters, but the car is still driven to work five days a week and has seen a road trip or two since the repair. I've had no further issues except the water pump belt tensioner failed but obviously unrelated. I say try it and if it doesn't work send it back to the manufacturer for a full refund. That's what I was planning to do because I was sceptical too but the product made a believer out of me. Certainly someone else here has $30 to try it and post results???
    Your eyes are turning brown, sorry but i don't believe you

00 Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Deville / 04 Deville

Nanotechnology.... LOL

Here's whats actually in the "miracle in a bottle".

75%-85% Water
    10%-20% Sodium Silicate
    < 1% Copper Flake
    < 1% Aluminum Flake

Sodium Silicate (AKA liquid glass) is obviously the active ingredient here the same stuff they used in the cash for clunker program to permanently disable the engine.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/401232.pdf

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Many years back, sodium silicate (water glass) was used on asbestos insulation as a sealer. (Old diesel submarine fact) You paint the solution onto any surface and, after drying, it forms a tough, glass-like layer on that surface. It is practically impossible to remove, so the OP's engine cooling system - all of it - is "plated" with an insoluble layer of some sort of magic stuff.

Go to a chemical supply house or maybe even a drug store (used to be able to buy it there.......) and play with it yourself, then come back and say you would pour it into your engine. We used to fool with it in chem lab in high school in the 50's.

Note that I'm NOT saying the stuff might not temporarily seal a failing gasket in contact with coolant - only that I would NEVER put it into an engine that might someday be rebuilt.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I too seriously doubt that the OP's problem really was a bad HG in the first place or it would have failed by now. I do believe he is under a false impression.

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

Sodium Silicate? ahhhh....that leaves everyone TWO options. SCRAP or do the studs/certs

enubus14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by twinbopilot View Post
    Greetings to all my fellow Cadillac owners. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and as they say in the bittorrent world, its time to seed and not just leech! So I'm trying to give back a little something information-wise.

Seriously, I wanted to report a positive experience with a new product. I have absolutely no relationship to the manufacturer. Here goes:

I own a 1999 Deville Concours with 146,000 miles. It was overheating within 10-15 minutes of start-up (I'm in Texas and the temps right now are 100+). It would actually blow the coolant out the overflow tube on the expansion tank when it got hot enough. Also, I could smell exhaust gases in the coolant. I know there is a $50 test for this but I just left the cap off before it got too hot and every once in a while a bubble would come to the surface. By putting my nose in the opening and sniffing this bubble (be careful if you do this), it was obvious there were exhaust gases in my cooling system which means the dreaded head gasket leak was present.

Now I can tell you I am not a believer in miracle cures. I can already see the replies that will berate me for not "fixing it right". With respect, not everyone has $2500-$4000 to do it "correctly". I personally lost my job as a pilot with a major airline in December, so the belt is already very tight at my house!

Enter a product from K&W called K&W Nanotechnology Permanent Head Gasket and Block Repair. It costs $20 but offers twice your money back if not satisfied. Do they actually refund you $40? I have no idea as I didn't request a refund - read on:

The product claims to use "nanotechnology" which involves atom-sized particles. It does not have the coppery sludge in it that Barrs head gasket repair (and most of them) use. It is a pure liquid with some brown slimy stuff in it that looks like it came out of your nose (hows that for a technical description?).

I followed the instructions on the bottle to the letter. Be advised you will have to drain your cooling system and flush it with water prior to using this product. They recommend pulling the plugs and checking them for orange/red color from coolant then leaving this plug (or plugs) out during the treatment. I did this but all the plugs looked pretty much the same except 3 or 4 had a grey powdery build up on them which looked like oil if you go by the spark plug diagnosis pictures you can see many places online. So I just cleaned them and re-installed all 8 prior to the treatment.

The treatment procedure has you idle the car for 30 minutes with pure water and the K&W in it then drain the system for a 12 hour drying period. I woke up the next morning with great anticipation - would it work or was my time and money wasted?

I re-installed the thermostat (they have you remove it during the treatment) and refilled the system with Dex-Con and water. Now time to put it to the test. As I started the engine, the car displayed the outside temp. as 104 degrees. I had four one gallon jugs of water in the trunk that I could use to limp home with in case the coolant spewed out the overflow again.

Turns out they weren't needed! I first let the car idle in the driveway with the a/c on. Previously the car would overheat within 10-15 minutes even if it was just sitting idling (Yes the fans work fine). After 30 minutes, no leaks and no overheating, so it was time for a test drive. I began by driving around the local surface streets at 40-45 mph with a/c on of course. To my amazement, after 20 minutes the temp needle never wavered from the 12:00, or middle position. Hmmm, could this have actually worked? My next test was on the highway, driving 65-80 mph, for 30 minutes. Once again, no movement on the temp gauge! I said a small prayer of thanks and headed home with a BIG grin on my face.

Now its been a few days and lots of miles but the car still runs great with no overheating.

YMMV, but I highly recommend K&W Nanotechnology for N* engines with leaky head gaskets.

Please reply with any additional questions you may have as I'm certain I didn't cover everything here.

Thanks and enjoy those Cadillacs!
    Hi I have a quick question is it possible to replace the head gasket if you have used the nanotech already?? Thank You

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    As i said before in this thread as well as others, there's no fix in a bottle, no magic juju, no squeezing of a goat's testicles, zip zilch nada.

They must be replaced and the block retapped.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my Northstar powered phone

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.