Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Jake , if people - new Northstar owners and those with a new driver's license - would only read the ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Jake, if people - new Northstar owners and those with a new driver's license - would only read the owner's manual, do some homework in here, and perhaps subscribe to a few engine wrencher periodicals neither of us, Ranger, or a few others would have calloused typing fingers . We don't know squat: smoke, mirrors and hearsay rules nowadays.

IIRC we learned it all in '56 or '66 on Friday and Saturday evenings in a friend's garage or as the grease monkey at a local petrol (!) station.

Computers and the Internet are a great detriment to hands-on learning. I'll get off my soapbox.........

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 97EldoCoupe View Post
    Oddly enough Submariner, I had a customer who kept coming calling me telling me he was losing coolant after I installed a reconditioned engine in his Deville. He kept insisting his head gaskets were gone again. Insisted his temp spikes of 225F were not normal. He would not give up when I told him the temp was normal, and to check for coolant leaks - so I had him drive two hours to my shop. Gave it a bit of cooling time. I was going to do a pressure test on his cooling system and opened the resevoir. Nice and full. I asked the customer "how much coolant are you losing? Because your resevoir is still full-" He had a look and told me it was low. He said "I always fill it to the top" ............

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

ITS NOT JUST CUSTOMERS!!!!

My god, thisplace that did my oil change. Advertised "in 9 minutes or less".

I had to argue a refund for washer fluid, as i had said DONT put any in i have jugs at home why should i pay for it. Had to get a refund for that.

The boss yelled at a female worker cause i had to ask her if she checked the antifreeze (which is part of their procedure) and she said yes, but i knew she had not as i was sitting in the car watching the whole time... plus i knew i was low on anti-freeze. I specificly said GREEN PLEASE and fill it half way, then run the car for a few seconds and check it again. They filled it to thetop... i made him take a liter out...

9 minutes or less, i was there a good 45 minutes.

Oil and filter, 2 liters of coolant...

79 freekin dollars.

never going there again.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Mason- the simplest solution to this B.S. - do everything yourself.

The problem is the low paid employees that work at these lube shops. The are paid so freaking low that they just don't give a $hit what they're doing or what the results are. They're just there to kill time and collect their paycheck. Go to people who get paid enough to care if they lose their jobs or not..... I'm serious - or do your fluid changes and top ups yourself. You'll save money, time and a lot of hassle.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Maybe if these lube shops paid their employees more than minimum wage and gave them a few hours of training on customer service and attention to detail, things would be different.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

turboguy52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

It's the exact way mine started at least give this stuff a try. I work at a major parts store and understand the risk but this stuff workes in a different way!!! It can't possibly clog any thing. Please follow directions to the t, very important!!!! Thanks juno!!!!!

samdun124 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 cadi deville

OK here my problem my 98 deville 138,000 mile will set and idle all day fine with no problem i can drive 70mph to work doing the day 100 degree temp out-side and overheat fill with water at night-time before leaving work and it fine never reach 200 stayed at 185-195 driveway 209 (45 min to work) and 40 min home replace rad, themo, fans, and pump.

My Question is do you think it will work i have not seen anybody with same problem (coolant come out overfilled hoses of tank once hottt) who cannot drive their car longer then 15 min i dont have money to fix head G,

Someday i let it sit when it really hot outside and wait far my wife to get home and take her car if it cool outside i take my deville.

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Well, that sounds like my first one, except not so often at first. I was topping it up every couple weeks, as the low coolant message would come up. It wasnt overheating though. After 15k miles or so, it overheated randomly one night. There was air in the system, and exhaust gasses i think heated up the dribbles of coolant that were going through. It purged itself and cooled off, i remember that night. I drove home and it was fine for a week. Eventualy got to the point where ALL the coolant would burn in under 5km.

Then i have another car, i think the guy used Bars leak or something. It was smoking (steaming) like a old train you see in the movies. That was in January, and the car sat for 4.5 months. I fired it up a couple weeks ago and it wasnt smoking. Maybe it wasn't cold enough out to see it... Well, seems the Bars may have cured over 4 months. I got about 1000km out of it before it started burning up the coolant again. I stopped driving it as i dont want to damage anything.

Driving it MIGHT be ok if you keep topping it up. But its not the driving part thats the worst, its before and after you drive it. I was lucky my starter was weak, cause one morning i had cylendar #2 full off coolant and when i touched the key it wouldnt turn. I realised instantly what it was so i didnt try again. That could have totalled it.

When that coolant gets in there, after shuttoff it can leak down into the oil.

I remember Jake talking about "rusted parts everywhere, passages, water pump blades, pain in the ass to clean".

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by samdun124 View Post
    OK here my problem my 98 deville 138,000 mile will set and idle all day fine with no problem i can drive 70mph to work doing the day 100 degree temp out-side and overheat fill with water at night-time before leaving work and it fine never reach 200 stayed at 185-195 driveway 209 (45 min to work) and 40 min home replace rad, themo, fans, and pump.

My Question is do you think it will work i have not seen anybody with same problem (coolant come out overfilled hoses of tank once hottt) who cannot drive their car longer then 15 min i dont have money to fix head G,

Someday i let it sit when it really hot outside and wait far my wife to get home and take her car if it cool outside i take my deville.
    No. The best you can hope for is a temporary reprieve.

CyekiM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Sedan Deville

Quote Originally Posted by twinbopilot View Post
    Greetings to all my fellow Cadillac owners. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and as they say in the bittorrent world, its time to seed and not just leech! So I'm trying to give back a little something information-wise.

Seriously, I wanted to report a positive experience with a new product. I have absolutely no relationship to the manufacturer. Here goes:

I own a 1999 Deville Concours with 146,000 miles. It was overheating within 10-15 minutes of start-up (I'm in Texas and the temps right now are 100+). It would actually blow the coolant out the overflow tube on the expansion tank when it got hot enough. Also, I could smell exhaust gases in the coolant. I know there is a $50 test for this but I just left the cap off before it got too hot and every once in a while a bubble would come to the surface. By putting my nose in the opening and sniffing this bubble (be careful if you do this), it was obvious there were exhaust gases in my cooling system which means the dreaded head gasket leak was present.

Now I can tell you I am not a believer in miracle cures. I can already see the replies that will berate me for not "fixing it right". With respect, not everyone has $2500-$4000 to do it "correctly". I personally lost my job as a pilot with a major airline in December, so the belt is already very tight at my house!

Enter a product from K&W called K&W Nanotechnology Permanent Head Gasket and Block Repair. It costs $20 but offers twice your money back if not satisfied. Do they actually refund you $40? I have no idea as I didn't request a refund - read on:

The product claims to use "nanotechnology" which involves atom-sized particles. It does not have the coppery sludge in it that Barrs head gasket repair (and most of them) use. It is a pure liquid with some brown slimy stuff in it that looks like it came out of your nose (hows that for a technical description?).

I followed the instructions on the bottle to the letter. Be advised you will have to drain your cooling system and flush it with water prior to using this product. They recommend pulling the plugs and checking them for orange/red color from coolant then leaving this plug (or plugs) out during the treatment. I did this but all the plugs looked pretty much the same except 3 or 4 had a grey powdery build up on them which looked like oil if you go by the spark plug diagnosis pictures you can see many places online. So I just cleaned them and re-installed all 8 prior to the treatment.

The treatment procedure has you idle the car for 30 minutes with pure water and the K&W in it then drain the system for a 12 hour drying period. I woke up the next morning with great anticipation - would it work or was my time and money wasted?

I re-installed the thermostat (they have you remove it during the treatment) and refilled the system with Dex-Con and water. Now time to put it to the test. As I started the engine, the car displayed the outside temp. as 104 degrees. I had four one gallon jugs of water in the trunk that I could use to limp home with in case the coolant spewed out the overflow again.

Turns out they weren't needed! I first let the car idle in the driveway with the a/c on. Previously the car would overheat within 10-15 minutes even if it was just sitting idling (Yes the fans work fine). After 30 minutes, no leaks and no overheating, so it was time for a test drive. I began by driving around the local surface streets at 40-45 mph with a/c on of course. To my amazement, after 20 minutes the temp needle never wavered from the 12:00, or middle position. Hmmm, could this have actually worked? My next test was on the highway, driving 65-80 mph, for 30 minutes. Once again, no movement on the temp gauge! I said a small prayer of thanks and headed home with a BIG grin on my face.

Now its been a few days and lots of miles but the car still runs great with no overheating.

YMMV, but I highly recommend K&W Nanotechnology for N* engines with leaky head gaskets.

Please reply with any additional questions you may have as I'm certain I didn't cover everything here.

Thanks and enjoy those Cadillacs!
    How are things over at K&W Nanotechnology working out for you? We true Caddy owners with North Star Head Gasket problems know that there is nothing sold in a bottle that will repair a blown head gasket...nice try!

tigers2007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '06 STS AWD V6, '99 Deville

Yeah I'm bored but I just ran upon this:

Bars Leak Professional head gasket repair in a bottle (3-step)

According to their FAQ section, it will repair Northstars. Huh?

$60 miracle juice?

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

That MIGHT work temporarily, but in the long run, the engine needs to come out. The problems with N*s is that not only has the HG blown, but the head bolt threads have failed

stssteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Crimson STS now sold/ 2008 cts 1SB Black Raven 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by tigers2007 View Post
    Yeah I'm bored but I just ran upon this:

Bars Leak Professional head gasket repair in a bottle (3-step)

According to their FAQ section, it will repair Northstars. Huh?

$60 miracle juice?

Not only will it not last but it will also gum up your coolant passages to the point of where you'll run into significant additional costs above head gasket repair in the short term as well. My guess is the heater core and engine coolant passages will be the main spots it will also harm. The mechanic doing the innevitable proper HG job will likely not be pleased.

I'd just go with Jake's stud kit or his service and put it behind me.

Theopris Mays is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

I seen this product at autozone part store here in ohio. And what caught my attention, was the fact it was NANO, and not the fiber carbon crap from bars and seal. I think chemical product are advancing, and this NANO can very be the cure to save us 2500-4000 bucks. I will attempt to try this product myself, and i agree with the other poster, as times is getting hard, people just don't have the cash like they use to.

I know Nano technology is amazing, but with its use as a sealer, it might just work. Its different from the carbon fibers, it's able to seal and places most product can't. Carbon fiber seal like gravel rocks over a pot hole, nano seals like there was never a hole there, just a tough seal base, like a patch of cement.

So i plan on giving this product a try, and i will call the companies and check other reviews, thanks Theo

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FYI, "NANO" is a current buzzword, like "billet" and "green". Pure marketing hype.

If you fall for the pitch, you become an example of P.T. Barnum's old saw..............

There's only one way to repair a failing Northstar set of head gaskets/head bolt thread holes: pull the engine and repair the damage - same as any other good mechanic would do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.