Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well as of 10-31-09 I've put over 4000 miles on it with no gasket issues. At first I was afraid ...
    twinbopilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Well as of 10-31-09 I've put over 4000 miles on it with no gasket issues. At first I was afraid to floor it thinking it might cause another failure, but now I drive it however I want with no fear. Even if it fails on me today, I'm happy with the product. It saved me a ton of money.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

A-mazing!

MrEldo97 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Wait until the head bolts pull out of the block. THAT is the real problem and not the gaskets...

coaster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 98sls

i just say what else does it clogg up all kind stuff and can cause more problems just fix the problem.

reddone5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille

I came across this board after searching endlessly for a solution to my problem. I hope this miracle in a bottle is exactly that. I have not had a chance to enjoy Kitty
    Kitty, since I purchased her several months ago. After driving the car only x2 I began to smell a scent that smelled as if I had driven across the country, the engine smelled hot. NO signs inside or outside the car of trouble. The car ran like brand new, and looks like new. While backing out the drive one day I spotted white smoke coming out of the exhaust, not much but some. Than one day a huge spillage on the ground. After taking the car to several mechanics, one didn't even open the hood, I have been informed I need a new engine. Head gaskets, sealants blocks, coolant system......too much confusing information for me. The car has sat in the drive for months. I thank the Lord I had other transportation. I've priced motors from the salvage yards to Jaspers. The price of the motor and installation will cost more than what I paid for the car. So with all the homework and the information, I figure I cannot loose trying the miracle in the bottle. Please pray for Kitty Kitty.

turboguy52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

Thumbs up Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

well I tried your fix in a bottle and while I can say it took my 99 Deville from a just 5 mile around town car to a ride to work car every day 44 mile round trip mtn. roads. It has over heated one time, but It has saved me a fortune for now and I work in Advance and we don't carry it. So I contacted CRC and I ended up ordering online. I am going to redo one more time because I don't think I let it dry long enough. There is nothing there to stop up like your rad. and block!!!!! You would have to see this stuff and talk to one of their tech reps. to believe it. I've put over 1500 mile on it and feel very safe as long as I have a rear floor full of coolant. But seriously it does work!!!!

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by twinbopilot View Post
    (very easy job - thanks to GM for a good design)
    These words in reference to the design of a N* motor are seldom used.

83CADMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours

My 94 Concurs w/ the N* was purchased w/117k miles and a small coolant leak. It was priced cheap enough and not really knowing about the N* problems, I bought it thinking I could fix it and have a nice ride for 4 or 5 years. Iíve done plenty of overhauls over the years. A couple of hundred bucks for a rebuild kit and some shop time, no sweat. YA RIGHT!!!! The more I found out, the more I regretted the buy. I couldnít find any one willing to even touch it. I did locate a couple of N*'s at a local yard, $800 to $900. Unfortunatly the motors were not the correct year and I found out interchangeability was out of the question. What to do? Try to recoup my cost by parting? Throw more money ($2,000 to $4,000) at it? Or spent the repair cost on a different car and not get my hands greasy? Well I opted to try the so-called miracle in a bottle fix. I did every thing exactly as the instructions stated. Before I used this stuff the car could idle for hours without O/H and I could drive the car around if I stayed below 35 mph and avoided any hills. BUT NOWÖit overheats after 5min in the driveway. Iím so tired of buying Dexcool at $14 per jug just to have it go to the ground.
    Iím starting to think about staging a lemon car bash, maybe charge a couple of bucks to take a swing at it with a sledge. I have been a Caddy lover for decades but this one is the biggest and pettiest piece of sh** ever put on the market. Everything about the car is designed to last 50 yrs except the GD head gasket/bolt failures at warranty expiration. Never again will I buy a N* Cadillac. Destroyer, You have it pegged right.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Because there's NO room to work, especially on the rear bank of cylinders. You might get the head off, might be able to do the machining and drop in the studs, but you'll never get that rear head back on. No way can you rotate the engine enough to get rear head clearance.
    I agree there isnít enough room to work on these engines but Jake has posted in other threads that he does his stud kit w/motor in car.
    Perhaps by installing the studs and head at the same time. By inserting the studs in the bottom of the head and then double nuting the top of the studs might allow, after tilting the engine, the head to be positioned and then torque. Any thoughts?
    How about it Jake, you going to share with us. You might change my mind about fixing my own N* nightmare.

STSS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11

Jake pulls the motor.... his "specialty" is that he pulls it out the top.

Red face Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Sorry, My bad. I must have confused other info. But still, if you can tilt the motor enough to remove the rear head why cant a jig and 90 deg. drill be used to tap new threads and re-install the head, gasket along with a stud set per my previous post. Anyone tried it?

ponyboyt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs

Quote Originally Posted by STSS View Post
    Jake pulls the motor.... his "specialty" is that he pulls it out the top.
    i never realised that, i always thought he did it theway i did mine, out the bottom!

You shoulda seen the look on his face when i told him i was gona do it again so i could pressure wash the engine and engine bay cause its dirty

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN
    if you can tilt the motor enough to remove the rear head why cant a jig and 90 deg. drill be used to tap new threads and re-install the head, gasket along with a stud set per my previous post. Anyone tried it?
    once the studs are in you are raising the effective required clearance by an amount equal to the length of the top of te stud.

Hmm unless maybe you screw the studs in with the head and gasket in place... but something tells me no... maybe the studs wont clear (they are kinda long?) and i woldnt want to do that anyway no way without seeing exactly whats going on.

That sounded nerdy.

And is probably wrong.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    Iím starting to think about staging a lemon car bash, maybe charge a couple of bucks to take a swing at it with a sledge. Destroyer, You have it pegged right.
    I'd love to take a swing at a N* powered car. I'll be first in line with cash in hand!

Question Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Quote Originally Posted by 83CADMAN View Post
    Perhaps by installing the studs and head at the same time. By inserting the studs in the bottom of the head and then double nuting the top of the studs might allow, after tilting the engine, the head to be positioned and then torque. Any thoughts?
    If you can R&R the rear head by tilting the motor.....head bolt length=replacement stud bolt length.....either way you would have to pre-install the bolts in the head before fitting the head to the block.

Papi_MaC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 01 DTS/ 95 ETC (For Sale)/SOLD 90 92 95 DeVille

It saved me a ton of money.
    I own a 1999 Deville Concours with 146,000 miles.
    Having that many miles on the engine, then filling the system with gobble-gook, you will likely have to opt for a rebuild rather than just a HG job when it fails. I would suggest selling the car while it still runs and moving on to the next.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.