Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Lasts forever - trouble is, with the relatively thin cylinder sleeves in the Northstar I don't think there's enough "meat" ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Lasts forever - trouble is, with the relatively thin cylinder sleeves in the Northstar I don't think there's enough "meat" to cut the O-ring groove.
    04GrandAmGT likes this.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

ive seen that on alot of diesels, know as "fire ringed" works Exceptionally well, they use it when your going 50+ PSI of Boost, problem is it works too well vehicle manufactures want things to fail, they make money on the sale of the car then in 10+ years they make more money with parts replacement. they want to always be making money not just from the sale of the car.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Evrett, Sales Executive of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No manufacturer has ever made money designing things to fail. All that would get them is a bad reputation. Most HG failures occur well after the owner (or second, third owner, fourth owner) stops taking the car to the dealer anyway, so they're not the ones that would make money off the repair anyway.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    No manufacturer has ever made money designing things to fail. All that would get them is a bad reputation. Most HG failures occur well after the owner (or second, third owner, fourth owner) stops taking the car to the dealer anyway, so they're not the ones that would make money off the repair anyway.

Granted, I took my DeVille to a dealer bodyshop for my light pole oops, but generally everything else is self service.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    im not talking about just HG failures, im talking Every single General motors front end products ex. wheel bearings and struts/shocks, tie rod ends. everybody knows GM vehicles go through them like biscuits and gravy at a Family gathering. they can make them stronger more reliable, look at ford there front ends are pretty solid, they last a good time yeah they still can wear out just like anything else but not nearly as much, Jake's 2010 its a 4 year old truck and it needs front wheel bearings for the second time and ball joints... my roommate has a 1997 Ford F-250 (yeah i know its a 3/4 ton) but still its got 880,000 KM (~550,000 Miles) factory front end never a wheel bearing done or even a tie rod end.

You can go back through EVERY automaker and EVERY model over the past 115 years and find good stories and horror stories on everything from engine widgets to rear axle thingys. NO automaker is immune.

NASCAR - and auto racing in general - has an incredible track reliability record - Why ?? Because the entire car is totally rebuilt every Tuesday. Completely rebuild your Cadillac once a month and then talk about head gaskets and wheel hubs.
    CadillacLuke24 and rodnok01 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You can go back through EVERY automaker and EVERY model over the past 115 years and find good stories and horror stories on everything from engine widgets to rear axle thingys. NO automaker is immune.

NASCAR - and auto racing in general - has an incredible track reliability record - Why ?? Because the entire car is totally rebuilt every Tuesday. Completely rebuild your Cadillac once a month and then talk about head gaskets and wheel hubs.
    you know what i mean, they could make things stronger and you know it

Sure - that's sort of like the America's Cup racing sailboat builder's creed: "If it doesn't break occasionally, it's too heavy !".

auto makers need to stop being soo cheap! look at the Brand new caddys the ats feels like your driving a quiet Pontiac sunfire, go drive a pre 2000 Deville even now thats how a caddy should ride or like an 80's Caprice Brougham now thats comfort lots of room, little plastic as possible. and yet we pay more than ever for a vehicle, even taking (grr forget the word, everything gets more expensive, so wages go up) in account.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

inflation
    04GrandAmGT likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    inflation

thats the one haha, hate it when those simple words seems to disappear from your mind

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    ------------------------------
    maybe -

BUT -
    from the OP -
    the exhaust gases in the coolant tank found by a professional technician?

the OP didn't do his own test -
    some "tech" - who makes his living by repairing cars - did the test -

but we ALL know a "PROFESSIONAL TECH" would never lie -

so - HEAD-GASKET-IN-A-CAN must work -

--------------------

NOPE -

still aint buying it -
    Man, you just don't quit. This tech, who is the head man at his own shop, runs a sand rail with a 400+hp NA Northstar. He knows the engines inside and out. He did the test, and he found the problem. I don't have any clue as to why the crap-in-a-can has worked this long, but I'm not complaining. And you still haven't even hazarded a guess as to an alternative explanation.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Alternate reason - The gasket itself failed, and the head bolt hole threads have not. The breach in the gasket is being sealed by the mechanic in a bottle, because it is not a moving, ever widening gap. It will most likely fail eventually.

Didn't you say at some point that your heater core clogged soon after using the product?

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by 04GrandAmGT View Post
    im not talking about just HG failures, im talking Every single General motors front end products ex. wheel bearings and struts/shocks, tie rod ends. everybody knows GM vehicles go through them like biscuits and gravy at a Family gathering. they can make them stronger more reliable, look at ford there front ends are pretty solid, they last a good time yeah they still can wear out just like anything else but not nearly as much, Jake's 2010 its a 4 year old truck and it needs front wheel bearings for the second time and ball joints... my roommate has a 1997 Ford F-250 (yeah i know its a 3/4 ton) but still its got 880,000 KM (~550,000 Miles) factory front end never a wheel bearing done or even a tie rod end.
    I'd take changing a wheel hub ANY DAY AND ALL DAY long over crappy parts on other car mfg's..lets say the world's shittiest transmission Chrysler put in for ohh I don't know 7-10 years. IF they lasted 50k you were lucky, 75 was unheard of. Try 125 bucks for a crappy foreign engine starter on a 4 banger, doors that close for crap after a few years... i have a LONNNNNNGGGGG list if you would like me to continue.

The OP sure seems happy his car may last a another day or three... WHEN it does pop it ain't going to be pretty and hope he enjoys paying extra.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I'd take changing a wheel hub ANY DAY AND ALL DAY long over crappy parts on other car mfg's..lets say the world's shittiest transmission Chrysler put in for ohh I don't know 7-10 years. IF they lasted 50k you were lucky, 75 was unheard of. Try 125 bucks for a crappy foreign engine starter on a 4 banger, doors that close for crap after a few years... i have a LONNNNNNGGGGG list if you would like me to continue.
    exactly what i mean, Every MF is going to have issues, but you would think after 25 years of the same wheel bearing lasting 60,000 miles if you got a good one, they would have thought of a way to make it a little stronger, even the northstar.... took them from 10 years to figure out how to "fix" head gasket failure, and even that was a band aid solution...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.