Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; yes but I feel as if the solution (k&w nanotechnology) wont clog or do damage. Question: are the cadillac northstar ...
    SpawnX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado ETC

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

yes but I feel as if the solution (k&w nanotechnology) wont clog or do damage.

Question: are the cadillac northstar 4.6l heads make from iron or aluminum?
    Do they need to be resurfaced rebuilt once removed?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Regardless of whether or not it clogs anything, it simply won't work. Once the bolt hole threads fail, there's an ever widening, ever moving gap between the gasket sealing surfaces. You can't seal that. What makes you think this product is different/better than any of the other magic potions out there?

The Northstar has an aluminum block and heads. Nothing has to be done to the heads.

"The common problem on these cadillac engines is leaking head gaskets. This is due to corrosion of the bolt hole threads in the aluminum block. The head bolt threads pull out of the block and there is insufficient clamping force on the head gasket, allowing it to leak. This is of course more prevalent when driving as there will be more cylinder pressure pushing against the cylinder head. Sealants will not work to seal this type of leak because the combustion pressure will still lift the cylinder head and allow the combustion gases to force their way into the cooling system. The only real fix is to remove the cylinder heads and add steel threaded inserts to the engine block for the head bolts, then install new head gaskets.

The engine does have to come out of the car to remove the cylinder heads for this repair."

If my problem is not the bolts then the solution will work. If its the bolts then i will proceed.

Just be aware that any "block seal" product you pour in will likely leave a very difficult to impossible to remove mess in the block and cooling system components. Trying this before the proper repair may cost you more in the long run.

purge (vent) line is located under the beauty cover? Best way to unclog is to remove and stick a metal wire through the purge line?

The metal part if the line is under the cover. The part that usually clogs, however, is the hollow bolt/nipple on the water pump cover.

Have you diagnosed the problem as HGs or not?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

SpawnX, Have you read the sticky posts and threads just above this thread ? - the ones on head gasket work, temp gauge function, fan function, and cooling system work.

I'll bet that neither thermostat was faulty. Did you test them in a pan of water on the stove, using a thermometer to check the beginning and fully open temps - 188 and 206 ?

Stop throwing parts at the problem, perform methodical diagnosis, and do a cylinder block exhaust gas test. Either "rent" the test set and fluid from a large parts store or use this -

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis75500.html

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnX View Post
    "The common problem on these cadillac engines is leaking head gaskets. This is due to corrosion of the bolt hole threads in the aluminum block. The head bolt threads pull out of the block and there is insufficient clamping force on the head gasket, allowing it to leak. This is of course more prevalent when driving as there will be more cylinder pressure pushing against the cylinder head. Sealants will not work to seal this type of leak because the combustion pressure will still lift the cylinder head and allow the combustion gases to force their way into the cooling system. The only real fix is to remove the cylinder heads and add steel threaded inserts to the engine block for the head bolts, then install new head gaskets.

The engine does have to come out of the car to remove the cylinder heads for this repair."

If my problem is not the bolts then the solution will work. If its the bolts then i will proceed.
    IF the HG's are leaking, the chances of it NOT being the threads are slim to none.

mjbrome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville Base
    When you have the heads off DO NOT resurface! I was told by Tim Carroll himself over the phone when i bought my studs. (Owner opperator of Carroll Custom Cadillac.) There is not enough material there to do so, and the engine won't allow for any damage to happen. The engine shuts down cylinders (limp mode) that won't let it self destruct. He also said just to clean them up and put in the new valve stem seals. I went ahead and had them pressure tested too anyways but was fine. Kind of funny though beacause my heads were in the shop to do everything! I had to call the shop right away to tell them not to resurface. Luckily they hadn't got to them yet! Tim almost yelled at me. Was very stern on the subject. Coming from a guy that does it everyday I took the advice. Look him up on youtube also. Full instructions. *plug*

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Just another update: I put ANOTHER can of crap in the coolant, the coolant-compatible stuff from K&W. Instructions include idling for 30 min. with heater on. Did so, and expected it to get hot. NO HEAT. I think I've clogged the heater core with the stuff.

So glad I live in AZ.

I don't recommend this stuff for ppl in cold climates.

Also, I'm at 9800 miles since my first fix.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hmmm i wonder what post first mentioned that you'll clog heater/coolant passages with that stuff?

figures... it was Jake in post #13
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way.

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Thanks guys. I'm just going to keep driving the car as long as I can, along with practicing my hand at paint and body work (I fixed some paint damage on the front and rear bumper and I'm going to beat out the dent that totaled the car, then I'll fill it and repaint it). For my own benefit, mostly. It's a car that deserves to look nice, no matter how many miles it has left in it. I'll post some before/after pictures in another thread.

Update!:

I have not used k&w nanotechnology yet.

I cleaned the purge (vent) line. It was clogged on both sides sandy orange rusty looking. I used a drill and attached some steel wire and also guitar string. It unclogged the purge line connects to engine by throttle body. As i unclogged, water poured out from radiator. Had radiator drain screw removed due to freezing weather at night.

Took if for a spin after letting car on for 30 minutes+, drove fine, temp consistently at 1/2 did not go freeway. But when I came home temperature almost hit 3/4 hispeed fans turned on and it went fast down to 1/2. I am not sure why it hit 3/4 so fast it was about 2-3mins in drive idle waiting for sister to move car. I need to do another test drive all water cycles in the cooling system perfect now.

Took it for a test drive. Drove 18 miles no problem. Then Temperate hit 3/4 and would not go down.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.