Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know for a fact that the 10 northstars that I have worked on with bad headgaskets that NO Snake ...
    JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP
    I know for a fact that the 10 northstars that I have worked on with bad headgaskets that NO Snake oil would have cured
    04GrandAmGT likes this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Bianca just had her HG's fail

no bolts had pulled out
    just the gasket compromised mainly around one cylinder

i didn't want to take the chance on putting some sealer in her just in case the bolts pulled down the road
    so we pulled the motor and inserted the block and put some bigserts in there

she's all back together now and getting a test drive overnight and she'll be home tomorrow

it has been nice driving a '13 cts in the meantime but i do miss her plush blue leather seats
    the cts is a bit cramped like a cockpit ... my only complaint
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP
    Chris was it #1 that failed that's the main one I have seen, you did your self and the mechanic a favor by not using that stuff. I have had only three northstars that showed alum. on bolts when taken out. I have one apart now that they put the miracle juice in and let me tell you its nasty in there. I believe that alot of these failures are a lack of cooling system maintenance

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Bianca just had her HG's fail

no bolts had pulled out
    just the gasket compromised mainly around one cylinder

i didn't want to take the chance on putting some sealer in her just in case the bolts pulled down the road
    so we pulled the motor and inserted the block and put some bigserts in there

she's all back together now and getting a test drive overnight and she'll be home tomorrow

it has been nice driving a '13 cts in the meantime but i do miss her plush blue leather seats
    the cts is a bit cramped like a cockpit ... my only complaint
    Did they reseal her?

yeah, actually 1 and 3 were compromised and 5 was starting to go

the plugs looked fine though

was running rough after startup for the first minute or so of running for a few weeks and then began to hydro-lock at startup for the last few days before i pulled her off the road

my coolant was just recently changed out (radiator went this winter)
    had probably been 3-4 years since the last coolant change

the new radiator leaked and was replaced a month or so ago
    then the water pump leaked and i got a new pump and the new cover design

then almost immediately the rough startup began

now i just need to fix the elc compressor ... gonna frankenstein mine with another off a car that has a bad exhaust valve
    my elc compressor lost compression and doesn't move any air the vac lines were totally crumbled too

----------

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Did they reseal her?
    did not do the lower block seals as that would cost quite a bit more and we have a technique to do them with the engine in the car so it's not really saving any labor to do them now

it doesn't drip anyway ... if it did drip then i would have had them do the reseal job
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I was actually down there a few weeks ago doing a dealer trade on a GMC Terrain at Bob King and drove through the lot. Lots of inventory down there and saw a beautiful WD '13 CTS-V Glad to hear the car has been fixed and will be back on the road soon!

yeah that '13 WD w/ black chrome grille and red calipers was a special order that the owner backed out of... we kept the deposit naturally ... it's been sitting for a few months as you might imagine

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 170,000 miles
    Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept
    did not do the lower block seals as that would cost quite a bit more and we have a technique to do them with the engine in the car so it's not really saving any labor to do them now
    I'd like to know that technique :-)

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
    yeah that '13 WD w/ black chrome grille and red calipers was a special order that the owner backed out of... we kept the deposit naturally ... it's been sitting for a few months as you might imagine
    Gorgeous car. We dont stock V's as they sit too long on the lot before we sell them. I can't remeber the last time we had one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-EaRL View Post
    I'd like to know that technique :-)
    i don't know the whole process but it involves suspending the engine from above, dropping the cradle and somehow getting the exhaust pipe out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Gorgeous car. We dont stock V's as they sit too long on the lot before we sell them. I can't remeber the last time we had one.
    yup

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS
    Yep. Just passed 3,000 miles since my fix-in-a-can. We've moved to Mesa, AZ and we've had days over 115 with me idling in the heat and repeatedly accelerating to 40 mph and then stopping. I don't get it, but it's not giving up.

the only way that a fix in a can will work on these cars is if the gasket itself is compromised ... if the bolts are pulling out the fix in a can will not work because the head keeps moving away from the block with every combustion event creating a gap that gets worse and worse

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

i don't know the whole process but it involves suspending the engine from above, dropping the cradle and somehow getting the exhaust pipe out of the way
    That uses the GM special "engine support fixture" J-28467B and the companion brackets and lift adapter. You basically install lift brackets, erect a T-shaped special brace and hangers over the engine, take out the slack, and then remove everything from the bottom of the engine - cradle and all.

BUT - with the support fixture in place any work - any work - is impossible on the top - valve cover - side of the engine.

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

My mistake, just looked at it again... It's been over 4,000 miles since my fix. Started at 99,934 and now I'm at 104,040. I guess it's just a miracle or something, but it's running like a train.

BTW, I found the most awesome Cadillac video ever. Go to Youtube and search "White Walls Macklemore." Loved it.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by ksmay71 View Post
    My mistake, just looked at it again... It's been over 4,000 miles since my fix. Started at 99,934 and now I'm at 104,040. I guess it's just a miracle or something, but it's running like a train.

BTW, I found the most awesome Cadillac video ever. Go to Youtube and search "White Walls Macklemore." Loved it.
    ------------------------------------
    if your mechanic-in-a-can "fixed" the head gasket leak - for 4000 miles -
    than you DID NOT actually have a head gasket leak -
    it was simply misdiagnosed - like so many are -

-----------------

oh - and about that video - IT SUCKS -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.