Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok ... I am having a lot of these symptoms on my 99 sts northstar too!!! But as it was ...
    INHERITEDANORTHSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 CADILLAC STS

Re: Sucessful Northstar head gasket repair in a bottle

Ok ... I am having a lot of these symptoms on my 99 sts northstar too!!! But as it was starting to get hotter the other day i punched the throttle a couple of times ... Just real quick bursts ... The temp started dropping back down until it hit dead straight up??? What the heck??? ... That's not a head gasket problem then, right??? A local shop diagnosed the overheating as a blown head gasket, so my dad gave me the sts and got him a marquis!!! I really don't trust that mechanic shop, and the only the only reason i was kind of believing head gasket when they said so, was the fact they would not do the head gasket repair job ... Said they had done 6 northstar head gasket repairs and only 2 of them held!!! So they were not trying to sell him a head gasket repair job!!! Any thoughts???

eldoradogary is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillc Eldorado 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Check your purge line to see if it's clogged. A block test would tell you for sure if it's blown. BTW if that shop did 6 headgasket jobs on Northstars and only 2 were good I'd stay clear of that place, the 2 that were good probably won't be for long.

snowmanwi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Deville

I had a loss of coolant in my 99 deville and a "friend" sugested a head gasket failure and to use this stuff. He said he had a northstar with a bad head gasket and it fixed it. I have used bottle fixes when i was younger (and dumber) and never had any luck, most of the time causing more problems. So I stuck with my gut and just started looking for a cause when i found a rusted pipe, fixed that for 10% of what that gunk costs. My guess is that when people say this stuff works they had no idea what was wrong in the first place.

DON'T USE BOTTLE FIXES EVER, NEVER, NO WAY, NO HOW, PERIOD!

And for those who want to use it to buy time to save money go ahead, but make sure you save double what it costs cause thats what it will cost you in the long run. You had to know that a cadillac would cost more to fix when you bought it or am i assuming too much?

cadillac00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac dts, 2006 cadillac dts
    I understand that times are hard and money is tight but if you can't afford a cadillac then don't drive one? Cadillacs are expensive cars and are expensive to repair but they are reliable. Every car has some trouble with it the deville is the HG but other than that these are amazing cars.

I had a HG fail on me in my last 2000 cadillac deville so I tried Barr HG repair. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP worked for about 30 miles then car overheated again. I took it to get the engine studded at cadillac for $3500 but the guy called me and told me that the barrs had clogged up my radiator and other things and the price went from 3500 to 4500 so a $50 bottle ended up costing me $1000. Like all of us real cadillac owners say

IF YOU'RE GONNA FIX IT FIX IT RIGHT

These are luxury cars and deserve to be treated right if you don't like them go buy a Toyota and be like the rest of the world :cheap:

weister42 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan

I recently bought some 16 inch rims off of a STS from a guy on craigslist in Mosinee WI, I didn't ask what year but the guy said he blew the headgasket when it had 112k miles, his buddy used a headgasket repair bottle (I forgot the brand that he told me) and it fixed it. He said it had 213k miles when he sold it to some guy who didn't want the stock tires/wheels and he sees the guy driving it all the time.

I donno, maybe there are some cases when it just works? I mean the GM coolant sealant tab fixed my coolant leak in my crossover pipe that would otherwise cost me $700 to fix. The repair shop was semi amused when I told them about it.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

A lot of "head gasket failures" are also misdiagnosed. "Mechanics" tend to do no work at all on Northstars, telling its customers that it's a bitch of an engine and all northstars blow head gaskets.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd only believe that if I saw it and the diagnosis my self. I ain't buying it.

ksmay71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS
    Hey all,

My 2000 SLS was totaled a month ago. Therefore, the car is only worth 1200 when it runs. Two weeks ago, it was losing coolant and sputtering (misfiring) on startup. Fearing the worst, I took it to a good mechanic friend. He found exhaust gas in the coolant, and quoted me $3200 to fix the head gasket. I told him I'd just drive it till it died and picked the car up. Then I read this thread and decided to try it. I figured I'd try it, run the car till it dies and then part it out. So I put in the k&w nano stuff (which takes forever, btw), and when putting the coolant back in I doubled down and put in some coolant-compatible sealant. Left it overnight and started it in the morning, and it runs great. I never had cooling issues, so nothing to report there. But the car runs smooth and isn't drinking coolant.

I'll report back when it fails and I'm waiting for a towtruck. But until then, "No news is good news."

Kevin May

Orem, UT

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by ksmay71 View Post
    Hey all,

My 2000 SLS was totaled a month ago. Therefore, the car is only worth 1200 when it runs. Two weeks ago, it was losing coolant and sputtering (misfiring) on startup. Fearing the worst, I took it to a good mechanic friend. He found exhaust gas in the coolant, and quoted me $3200 to fix the head gasket. I told him I'd just drive it till it died and picked the car up. Then I read this thread and decided to try it. I figured I'd try it, run the car till it dies and then part it out. So I put in the k&w nano stuff (which takes forever, btw), and when putting the coolant back in I doubled down and put in some coolant-compatible sealant. Left it overnight and started it in the morning, and it runs great. I never had cooling issues, so nothing to report there. But the car runs smooth and isn't drinking coolant.

I'll report back when it fails and I'm waiting for a towtruck. But until then, "No news is good news."

Kevin May

Orem, UT

*sigh*

So, 500 miles down, still running great

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Sounds like you've already gotten your money's worth out of the product. Well done.

Woo! 1600 miles, we'll see where this goes...

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

no offence, but i feel sorry for the mechanic that has to clean that block when the gaskets finally do completely go, i have seen some bad situations, especially with Dex-Cool.
    JoeTahoe likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

It's being junked when it lets go... hence the Bandaid attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmay71 View Post
    Hey all,

My 2000 SLS was totaled a month ago. Therefore, the car is only worth 1200 when it runs. Two weeks ago, it was losing coolant and sputtering (misfiring) on startup. Fearing the worst, I took it to a good mechanic friend. He found exhaust gas in the coolant, and quoted me $3200 to fix the head gasket. I told him I'd just drive it till it died and picked the car up. Then I read this thread and decided to try it. I figured I'd try it, run the car till it dies and then part it out.

Well guys, the junker has gone over 2,100 miles since the fix. I can't believe it either.

But the plot thickens. My wife and I just moved to Arizona (last week), where it's always over 100 anytime we drive the car. I also never go without A/C. And I'm starting to get a small coolant leak where I park.

So we'll see how much longer it holds. But I'll bet you can guess what I'm buying the minute it blows...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.