Coolant Shooting Out
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Coolant Shooting Out in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First off this is a 94 Cadillac Seville SLS with 120k miles on it This all started yesterday i sent ...
    Guerilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville

Coolant Shooting Out

First off this is a 94 Cadillac Seville SLS with 120k miles on it

This all started yesterday i sent my dad to get my windows tinted and he came by the store im workin at to show me and when he parked we noticed a bit of smoke from under the car, and then we saw something dripping which turned out to be coolant, my dad gets a rag and opens the cap for the coolant and then bam it came out like crazy from under the front passenger side of the car.

I took it to the mechanic across the street and he said that my catalytic converter is overheating (he ran the car and the cat turned red =/ ) so they send me to the muffler shop and the guy says he will fix the cat for me for $140 i was happy as shit and then he pulls out a saw cuts it off from the two sides and welds an aftermarket one on and i drove it home with no problems.

I took the car for a drive and then i noticed the temp was really really high and i was cruising the temp was around 240 (mine never goes that high) so i stop and open the coolant cap and then the same thing happened, all the coolant leaked out from the same spot as before and a guy saw this happening and came and told me that my Coolant Sending Unit is probably fried. He pulls out some tools and says let me check your thermostat and when we started looking the thermostat had no gasket on it and he says that could be the problem and told me to get a new thermostat and gasket and meet him tomorrow and he will fix it for me.

Is the thermostat the problem here or is it something else?
    I really need some info on this

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Coolant Shooting Out

The pressure in the system is what keeps the coolant from boiling. If you pop the cap when the engine is hot it's going to boil and spew out coolant through the overflow. Fill the system to the full line when the ehgine is cold and see what happens.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Guerilla is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville

Its fine then but idk why it heats up so much... i know theres something wrong with my idle thing cuz i can go up to 40 and drive without even touching the gas for a mile or so and um i had my MAP sensor replaced like 2 months ago... thats all i can think of... i mean like i can actually fry a damn egg on the engine cover with the heat...

and is my caddy supposed to have a thermostat gasket? cuz it doesnt have one at all

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Anytime you clamp two pieces together you need a gasket or it will leak. Have the coolant tested for the presence of exhaust gases to rule out a head gasket before going any farther.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

The thermostat "gasket" is really more like an square edged o-ring

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.