How do I know if I need the computer updated?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I know if I need the computer updated? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My 98 STS just hit 100k km (60k miles). The Caddy dealer gave me a maintenance estimate that includes "Update ...
    Leadergrass is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How do I know if I need the computer updated?

My 98 STS just hit 100k km (60k miles). The Caddy dealer gave me a maintenance estimate that includes "Update Computer" for $95 cdn. It was reprogrammed in May 2002 after I complained about a rough idle. How do I know if GM has updated the software since? Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: How do I know if I need the computer updated?

Drive it and quite worrying. If there are no driveability complaints then there is no need to "reprogram" the computer. If you got an updated cal in 2002 then you most likely have the latest for a 98 model car anyway. The calibrations for any given model year are not continually updated. Usually, if some service requirement mandates a running change or service cal update it comes out before the model year ends production as the problem would show up relatively quickly. After 5 years (2002 in your case) on the road that particular model is past history and is not being updated unless there is some sort of major major recall or problem....you would have heard about it. Save your money. More fluff for the dealer. Interesting the lengths the service departments are going to to create "service work".....LOL.

97Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Fellow 401er.

who is the dealer? and is it the same one that flashed it the first time?
    btw, what is an "Automotive IT Consultant"? I am also an IT Consultant, but the prefix is intriguing.

Leadergrass is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: How do I know if I need the computer updated? (Thanks)

bbob:Thanks very much for confirming my suspicions.

97Deville: The dealership is Roy Foss. The 2002 flash was done at Addison. (My total "maintenance" estimate from Foss was $2900, including pads and rotors).

As for my job, I work for a certain large canadian retailer you may be familiar with (please, no heckling!). My background is automotive, so I work in the IT department but specialize in applications and business requirements specific to running an automotive marketing department; electronic parts catalogues, service management systems, auto parts assortment planning, etc.

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

One of the reasons Microsoft would love to get into automotive PCMs. Sounds like your dealer wants to be like Microsoft....

Constant upgrades. " oh...your driver is gone for the MSx version 3.0 cruise control. We can fix that."

Logan Diagnostic
    www.airbagcrash.com
    www.logandiagnostic.com

97Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is too bad the dealers dont share info like those of us in IT, or anyone with a computer for that matter. I can never get into Foss unless i'm there before 8am. Two starts after going up on a hoist there, I got the "p741 errorr", ive not been back since, coincidence,,, . I usually buy the parts and DIY.

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.