99 deville oil pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99 deville oil pump in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey so apparently the oil pump in my dads 99 Deville has gone, the mechanic said it costs about the ...
    Enano is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Deville

99 deville oil pump

Hey so apparently the oil pump in my dads 99 Deville has gone, the mechanic said it costs about the same do drop in a new engine as it does to replace the oil pump so thats what he wanted to do.... Load of crap? Ive done a little engine work before, anyone have anything to say on the matter? Any documents detailing the procedure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 99 deville oil pump

The oil pump on the N* is wrapped around the crankshaft snout, inside the front chaincase. It can be replaced from the wheelwell area, but it's pretty labor-intensive. The mechanic needs to follow the GM Service Manual procedure. Crank balancer bolt torque is critical to proper oil pump operation.

If the oil pump went out, did the engine seize ? If so, it's new/rebuild engine time.

You could subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com to see what you're up against, and the subscription will come in handy dozens of times.......

Engine has not seized yet. So the engine doesn't need to be pulled for this? Thanks for the link I'll check that out. I've decided against putting my extra 5.7L Hemi in. She isn't fond of FWD

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

damn sounds like alot of work. do oil pumps go out easy

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Nope.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Hmmmmmmm.......What gives you or your mechanic the impression that the oil pump has packed it in ??? IF there's a flickering oil pressure light at idle, there may be a very simple solution.........

What could this easy solution be. Im not around the car, I'm in school in another state. Ill ask him if its a light at idle

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Higher weight oil was the simple solution I believe... I'm not positive if that was what Sub had in mind though.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The oil pumps are pretty reliable. I suspect what Sub was getting at it the oil pressure switch on the oil filter adapter. You could either plumb in a pressure gauge and see what your oil pressure actually is or just take a chance and swap in a new switch. That would be much cheaper and easier than replacing a pump.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Ranger and Sub are right - usually, it's the oil pressure switch - cost under $10, so personally, I think it's easier to replace it than to bother setting up a gauge.

If the oil pump is shot - pretty unusual, you will need to take off the crankshaft damper/pulley, timing case cover, and I think drop that side of the cradle down some for access. I can't remember where the pump is in relation to the crank to intermediate gears and chain - that stuff might have to come off also.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

its really not that bad,oil pump is only 3 bolts, remove accesory belt(the big one) take off whatevr is blocking timing cover(i think a tensioner or maybe idler bearing) then the acces panel on pass wheel well. Remove 3 cradel bolts, lock the flywheel and remove crankshaft bolt, then the pulley with 3 jaw puller. Remove the 15 bolts(10 MM) on timing cover.Pull timing cover and oil pump is right there with 3 bolts. When reinstalling be sure to tighten 89 in. pounds in sequence then torque an additional 35 degrees in sequence. Sequence is middle bolt first, right bolt second and left bolt 3rd.

hope that helps and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post
    its really not that bad,oil pump is only 3 bolts, remove accesory belt(the big one) take off whatevr is blocking timing cover(i think a tensioner or maybe idler bearing) then the acces panel on pass wheel well. Remove 3 cradel bolts, lock the flywheel and remove crankshaft bolt, then the pulley with 3 jaw puller. Remove the 15 bolts(10 MM) on timing cover.Pull timing cover and oil pump is right there with 3 bolts. When reinstalling be sure to tighten 89 in. pounds in sequence then torque an additional 35 degrees in sequence. Sequence is middle bolt first, right bolt second and left bolt 3rd.

Piece of cake

RickyHenry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville; 1999 Seville

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post

Wouldn't you have to drop the engine for that?

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Quote Originally Posted by RickyHenry View Post
    I don't see why - there have been several people that have done HG's with the engine in the car and have opened the timing cover to set the timing.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to do it - seems like it would be an incredible PITA to do in the car, but some people are just gluttons for punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyHenry View Post
    Drop the right side of the cradle down enough for access - lost of other things also - I think that's a pretty big deal, but it's not for some people - getting old I guess

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.