97 deville overheating??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 deville overheating?? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi my name is frank and I just purchased a 1997 Deville base sedan 150k, this is my situation with ...
    oldschool409 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97' Deville

97 deville overheating??

Hi my name is frank and I just purchased a 1997 Deville base sedan 150k, this is my situation with my car when I'm driving the temp goes to 222 fans turn on and its bumped down to 217-213 then when I start driving or idling in town it starts climbing back to 217, 219,220,222 then back down again. When I get on the freeway entrance and I start to accelerate the temp seems to go up a few degrees(temp starts out at 217 goes up to 222). When I get on the freeway and the engine temp is 222 it doesn't go any further, it starts to drop to about 196 -190 188 in about a minute or two of driving and stays there. On the freeway if I floor the car on the freeway the temp doesn't go up it actually makes the temp go down more. I put a bottle on the overflow hose and theres no water being blown out its dry... I replaced the water pump belt because it looked wet and damaged it was falling apart I didn't notice and leaks around the water pump or anywhere else around the engine. Help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 97 deville overheating??

The thermostat is set to begin opening at 188 and be fully open at 206. The car should run at 193 - 198 all day long on the highway with a slight temp rise just after an aggressive passing maneuver or other heavy acceleration, then it comes back to ~196 or so. Get off the highway and hit a traffic light, the temp creeps up to 224.

The fans are set to come on slow at 224 and fast at 236, or slow any time an a/c mode is enabled. The temp creeps up to ~224 in traffic or slow crawl, fans come on and the temp crawls back to ~213. Then back to 196 on the open road.

Carry the coolant surge tank at half full, COLD. Make sure the (16 # ?) pressure cap is tight.

Take the car to a GM dealer and have the DEXCOOL changed NOW if you cannot positively document that it has been changed within the past 3 years.

All normal.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Sounds pretty normal to me too. I wouldn't worry unless it starts running hotter. Follow Subs advice and change that coolant.

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

yeah dudes its normal it still scares the hell out of me when i see my temp gauge go to 1 o'clock. but it comes back down. just wondering why did gm make the n* like that? i have never been in a car that went past 12 o'clock on the temp gauge. and i used to let my caprice run while i would go somewhere so car would be cold when i got back in i can remember leaving it on for times up to half an hour and no needle movement (plus gas was cheap too haha) i leave my eldo in idle for 10mins it at 224 near the 1 o'clock line

Every engine fluctuates temperatures. These gauges are just dampened so much so people don't panic. I think every once in a while you might get one that is a bit more sensitive (if that is possible).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Every engine fluctuates temperatures. These gauges are just dampened so much so people don't panic. I think every once in a while you might get one that is a bit more sensitive (if that is possible).
    well all i can say is it never went past the middle same with my moms intrepid i took it out to the beach about 1 and a half hour drive hit really bad traiffic once i got there and was in stop and go traffic for a good 35mins and the cars needle was under the 12 o'clock didnt hit the middle till i got on the beach. thats the only car i been in where it took alot of idling to get the cars needle to run at the middle. dodge makes some good cars

but still doesnt beat sitting in a cadillac haha

Mine is the same. Dead on 12:00 and does not budge. I'm just the opposite though. Makes me wonder if the damned thing works. It's really just a matter of what you are used to. If you had a real one that showed every fluctuation in real time, you'd consider it normal and would not worry about it. You'd know what the "normal" parameters are.

so you think the eldo/sevilles have a sensitive gauge?

No. Maybe "some gauges". Even then I am not 100% sure of that. I only say that because I have heard some people mention some fluctuation and others see none at all. My '02 SLS (now my daughters) sits dead center at 12:00.

oldschool409 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97' Deville

I guess I'm just worried seeing all the other deville 97-99 haveing gasket problems...so if I'm driving around steady the temp reading 222 is normal and then the temp drops to 210 and within a minute of driving its back up to 222 while the car is moving?

Well, I wouldn't call that "normal", but I don't think it is anything to worry about yet. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.