'98 heads and cams on a 2000 block
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, '98 heads and cams on a 2000 block in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone know if the cyclinder heads off a '98 N* will fit straight onto the block from a year 2000 ...
    Radiogareth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Northstar 2000 V8 engine only

'98 heads and cams on a 2000 block

Anyone know if the cyclinder heads off a '98 N* will fit straight onto the block from a year 2000 N*?

Would there be any benefit in doing the swap? (VIN tells me the 2000 is a 300 hp engine already)

Alternatively, would the cams from the '98 fit the 2000 heads - if yes then I can get an exchange set of cams from CHRF

The '98 engine has started boiling up and the car is being broken for spares (over here in London UK).

Thanks

Gareth

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: '98 heads and cams on a 2000 block

Quote Originally Posted by Radiogareth View Post
    Anyone know if the cyclinder heads off a '98 N* will fit straight onto the block from a year 2000 N*?
    The "fit" will work.
    But!
    The combustion chamber (piston and head cavity) design was altered (to delete the 91 octane fuel recommendation) effective for 2000 model year engines.
    Would there be any benefit in doing the swap?
    No! Contrary.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

Compression will increase just slightly but the '00 shortblock doesn't have the valve reliefs in the pistons. On top of this you're losing the roller valvetrain.

I've been considering doing the exact opposite - 00 heads on a 98 STS, but this is for supercharging purposes, and the intake manifold will have to be custom built.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Don't forget that the pre-2000 heads used direct-acting hydraulic cam followers (lifters). The 2000+ heads are a complete redesign with different cams and indirect roller cam followers using static hydraulic adjusters for lash. The 2 models of heads bear no resemblance to each other. Ignition pack differences, too...............among others.

Thanks Guys, thats REALLY helpful. Seems I've got the best of both worlds then. I'll talk to CHRF and see if they have ever used their cams in this head. If the '98 engine I've located ends up cheap enough to buy and repair - then I'll have two engines.

Plan is to convert it to megasquirt for my application and run RWD via a TH700R4.

Gareth

If you're going to twist this engine to longitudinal in your kit car, you could move the ignition coil pack and build a custom wire set for a much cleaner cam cover look (don't forget that the 1998 and 2000 have entirely different ignition systems, PCM's, ICM"s, different spark plugs, wires/no wires, cassette cavities, plug boots, cam covers, etc. etc.).................before you do the install, make sure the water pump tensioner and belt are new; no sense having a failure on the "rear" of the engine before its time.........

Something else.....the crankshaft reluctor wheel and both position sensors are different in the two years - you may run into trouble trying to trigger a 1998 ignition with a 2000 block, and vice-versa.

Thanks again for the pointers - in the short term I was going to re-use what the engine came with, adding a 36-1 trigger wheel to the crank and use the COP units, but eventually with polished valve covers I'll most likely use 2*4 EDIS packs and leads. As I do not have the matching key for the ecu it's going to be easier to get it running on a MS....probably. Also means I can do what I like with the fuelling.

Gareth

OK.......That will work, as well as allow you some grooming of the ignition curves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.