95 N* intake issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 95 N* intake issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im new and have searched at great length on this issue but did not realy find the answer I was ...
    Trickstr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 STS

95 N* intake issue

Im new and have searched at great length on this issue but did not realy find the answer I was looking for. I just picked up a used 95 STS with 176k. In doing a tune-up i was cleaning the TB and noticed how bad my intake behind the TB was. I saw threads on how to clean them and that they get really dirty in these motors but I had up to a 1/16 of an coating inside the intake of oil and junk, most of the sticky variety. Would this be normal on a car that may have never been cleaned out before? A new motor was installed around 100k, so is it 75k of neglect? Or is this a sign of more serious problems? How is this junk getting in? Through the pcv system? If that is the case can I just install breathers on the end of the pcv and plug up the intake side?
    Thanks
    (Learning how to be a American car owner for the first time)

Patrick
    95 STS N*
    98 Nissan Sentra SE SR20DE-T
    05 Yamaha FZ-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: 95 N* intake issue

That's pretty much normal. The car is 14 years old, of course there is going to be some build up. Yes it's probably from the PCV system, but I don't know what will happen if you convert the system. I would just clean it and leave it. The gunk doesn't appear there overnight. If it did, then I would be looking for something to fix.

Also to the forums!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The oily buildup is the nature of the beast: The PCV system ventilates the crankcase and valve covers to remove all that stuff from inside the engine. When it gets to the intake manifold the gasses are hotter than the manifold, so some condenses on the inside instead of being burned, as designed. Don't modify the system as you'll leave the acids and vapor in the engine, and the airflow sensors are calibrated to accept the metered PCV flow.

About a year and a half ago, AJxtcman did a thread titled "A river flows through it" (weird title......) which explored the early Northstar PCV system and the oil baffle in the rear cam cover which sometimes loosens and allows liquid oil droplets to be sucked into the intake manifold. You can fix the problem, if it exists, but you have to remove the rear valve/cam cover, and you'll then wish you had never tried.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Add EGR gases to the PCV gases and you have the nasty, black oily mess which as everyone told you is perfectly normal and harmless.

Trickstr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 STS

The problem is coming from the rear PCV valve, so I guess I am having that same problem, I will have to try to find that thread, valve covers don't scare me as much as to have to do a head gasket...
    Thanks everyone!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

FIRST start the car and pull the beauty cover. Good flashlight. Pull the hose/pipe off the PCV valve/orifice tube and look in (Plug the tube with your finger, and be careful NOT to pull the other end out of the intake manifold fitting.) Have an assistant rev the engine to 3,000 a few times. Droplets or liquid oil spurt out ??? If not, forget it, put it all back together and drive happily.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.