what is the difference between the concourse and regular?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, what is the difference between the concourse and regular? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; why does the concourse get 25 extra horsepower and torque? what is different about the engine?...
    Mizugori is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS

Question what is the difference between the concourse and regular?

why does the concourse get 25 extra horsepower and torque? what is different about the engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Question difference between regular northstar and the northstar in a deville concourse?

why does the engine in a deville concourse get 25 extr horsepower and torque? what is different?

also, are they any more or less reliable, less likely to have head gasket issues, etc?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: what is the difference between the concourse and regular?

The VIN 9 powertrain uses a slightly different PCM program and intake cam overlap to develop higher horsepower further up in the power band at the expense of 5 ft/lb of torque. It uses a 3.71 final drive for quicker engine rpm rise in each gear range. Most specs list it as 300 hp/295 ft/lb.

The VIN Y powertrain is a more "economy" tune and cam setup which uses a 3.11 final drive for highway economy and reduced engine rpm at cruise. Most specs list it as 275 hp/300 ft/lb.

Discounting the tire rating speed limiters imposed, all things being equal, the VIN Y should outrun the VIN 9 in top speed, but above 135 mph factors like drag and weight come into play. It would be interesting to run two same-year same-style Northstar 4.6 FWD vehicles side by side at Bonneville. The ONLY physical differences being the drivetrain package. Which would eventually go faster, given no speed limiter in the PCM ?? Anybody's guess. Drag racing a FWD, same pair, is a guess also - on any Sunday a good driver in Car A will beat car B, and vice versa.

Re: difference between regular northstar and the northstar in a deville concourse?

You just double-posted this up in Deville.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It depends on what year you're talking about. If its a 1994 or 1995 its because it has a different engine.

Re: difference between regular northstar and the northstar in a deville concourse?

i realized after i posted that it might be more appropriate in this category, sorry

what speed are cadillacs with the 4.6l northstar limited at? (I mean via a governor or similar device)

I'm not sure if it varies by model or something but I'm looking at 94-99 sevilles and eldorados, and 96-99 devilles

Depending on model and OEM tire installation, the speed limiter is determined by the tire speed rating on the sticker on the driver's door:

S = 112 mph
    H = 130 mph
    Z/W = 150 mph ++

You should look at your FWD car models in the 2000 - 2004 year range. Then you get all the powertrain updates and the roller cam follower engine.

carseller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille / 173,000 miles

Concours also has bucket seats with perforated leather, center console with shifter, analog gauges, Bose stereo, specific wheels, no hood ornament (it's in the grill), painted grill, mirrors in the roof for back seat, dual zone digital temp controls, road sensing suspension, magnasteer steering, fog lights.

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

The Deville Concourse, Seville STS, and Eldorado ETC got the higher output engines. 300 hp and 295 lb ft torque. These are higher priced models that got more standard equipment and the sportier versions. Not positive on the Concourse, but I know the STS and ETC got Stabilitrac and CVRSS and firmer suspension to make the cars handle better. The N* in the regular Deville, SLS, and Eldorado were 275 hp, 300 lb ft.

Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

whats added to them to et that extra 25hp?

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S

Others on here have much more expertise on these cars than I do and can answer that in more detail. I think that it's higher compression ratio, slight computer tune, and freer flowing exhaust.

C0RSA1R is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 ETC Black 90k miles

Different cam timing as well, from what I've read. But I'm a newbie with the N* as well, only engines I've ever worked on were the 3.3.L in my 89 Century and the 3.1L in my 97 Cutty Supreme.

I drove a 98 deville d'elegance yesterday and I didn't like the all digital display I dunno I just like to have RPMs and I just prefer the analog look, so I guess that's a benefit for me.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Talamant3z View Post
    whats added to them to et that extra 25hp?
    Different intake cam. Nothing more. Of coarse it has a different trans and PCM, but only the cam is different on the engine.

P.S. I merged the threads.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.