combustion gas test turned yellow
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, combustion gas test turned yellow in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ok guys heres the backround info. car never had an issue always ran fine at around 205ish well now summer ...
    Talamant3z is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

combustion gas test turned yellow

ok guys heres the backround info. car never had an issue always ran fine at around 205ish well now summer has hit i been running 215 to 235. i got the loaner test from autozone and it didnt have some instructions so i guessed on it. so what i did was put the tube on the radiator reservoir turned the car on and at first it would bubble a little. i waited liked a minute and the coolant started to gush out. as it gushed out the clear liquid turned yellowish see pic below. so i ran to turn the car off and move the tube and coolant still gushed out for about a good 30sec. now if i did the test right then that means i have hg issues right? if so how long till they go? like i said before the temp gets to 230ish and drops right away to 215 (the middle). any tips to keep it going before the hg goes. any help would be greatly appreciated i love the car but im not going to dump all that money into it

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: combustion gas test turned yellow

i been doing some reading in other threads and it seems a good number of the people who fail the test are loosing coolant. i am not dont know if that matters

aso car is base 1997 eldo with 164xxx miles

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

It will slowly get worse. You may be able to drive it like this for a year if you don't push it hard. Eventually it will get hotter and start to overflow to the point of being undriveable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    It will slowly get worse. You may be able to drive it like this for a year if you don't push it hard. Eventually it will get hotter and start to overflow to the point of being undriveable.
    damn when i went to take the loaner tools back it hit 247 when i was in idle. i didnt re fell the coolant tank after i did the test so could that cause it to get that hot? i bought some more but i havent put it in whats the right way to add new coolant

ranger i was thinking and i think i did the test wrong i think coolant got into the tube.i know i might be in denial but when i started the test i filled the tube to the first line circled with clear liquid. well i didnt know how to fo the test so i guessed. with the car off i put the tube into the
    reservoir then went to turn the car on. like i said it would bubble a little. then after maybe 2 mins the coolant gushed out. could the coolant have gotten in the tube which cause it to be so full and look yellow? i replaced the coolant lost (which was almost a gallon) and the car runs colder now than before. its running 208 220 in idle. like i said i know i might be in denial (because i love the eldo so much haha) but when the test is preformed does it full up with that much "extra" liquid?

i didnt re fell the coolant tank after i did the test so could that cause it to get that hot?
    Very possible.

whats the right way to add new coolant
    Fill the surge tank to the 1/2 point and cap it up. Check it after running a bit. If it needs a top off, let it cool and then top off.

I have never used one of those testers so I don't know how to use it , but I believe you are only supposed to suck in air from the surge tank and pass it through the solution which would explain the bubbles as I learned last night from Northstar. Not sure what coolant would do to it. I'd retest it.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Talamant3z View Post
    it seems a good number of the people who fail the test are loosing coolant. i am not dont know if that matters
    You are losing coolant. It came out of the surge tank while you were doing the test.

It takes exhaust gas to turn it yellow, not coolant, sounds like the HG's are gone. Sorry

Very possible.

Fill the surge tank to the 1/2 point and cap it up. Check it after running a bit. If it needs a top off, let it cool and then top off.

I have never used one of those testers so I don't know how to use it , but I believe you are only supposed to suck in air from the surge tank and pass it through the solution which would explain the bubbles as I learned last night from Northstar. Not sure what coolant would do to it. I'd retest it.
    i will its free will u have to pay but they give the money when u return the product
    Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    You are losing coolant. It came out of the surge tank while you were doing the test.

It takes exhaust gas to turn it yellow, not coolant, sounds like the HG's are gone. Sorry
    thats just it i am not loosing coolant. it only came out because the pressured bulit up with no radiator cap on it can only go one way and thats out right? but my car never looses coolant

When the cap is off there is NO pressure, but the boiling temp drops to 212. With the cap on (15 psi), the boiling temp rises to 265. You can't run more than maybe 5 min. (max) with the cap off before it will boil and overflow.

When the cap is off there is NO pressure, but the boiling temp drops to 212. With the cap on (15 psi), the boiling temp rises to 265. You can't run more than maybe 5 min. (max) with the cap off before it will boil and overflow.
    yeah thats what i ment it boiled over and came out.

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

The extra came from when your car boiled over, unfortunately it didn't really boil over, the antifreeze was being displaced by exhaust gases. The exhaust gases are what causes the liquid to turn yellow.

Bottom line - you need to be thinking about replacing the HGs probably sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrsmith View Post
    The extra came from when your car boiled over, unfortunately it didn't really boil over, the antifreeze was being displaced by exhaust gases. The exhaust gases are what causes the liquid to turn yellow.

Bottom line - you need to be thinking about replacing the HGs probably sooner rather than later.
    ok i understand that the yellow means that they are bad but where did all the extra liquid come from? i think when the coolant came gushing out some gushed into the tube because up until that point the cars coolant came out the liquid was clear. or is it normal for extra liquid so show up in the tube?

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

You aren't getting extra coolant, the combustion gases are pushing it out.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

jeffrsmith and zonie are correct. The question you need to ask yourself is: is the car worth the repair? It is a '97 with 164K miles on it. How is the body, the interior, the rest of the mechanicals? How much do you like the car? Do you want to keep it for 2-3+ more years? That will help you decide whether to repair it or have it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    You aren't getting extra coolant, the combustion gases are pushing it out.
    ok so say the hg where good no issues. how long with the radiator cap could the car run and the coolant not gush out? because my car doesnt loose coolant it just came out when i had the cap off performing the test. so what you telling me is on a normal good running car no coolant will come out the tank while the car is on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.