Pre 2000 Northstars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Pre 2000 Northstars in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was looking through the classifieds and someone made the remark in their add to beware the pre 2000 Northstars. ...
    Ellis1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Pre 2000 Northstars

I was looking through the classifieds and someone made the remark in their add to beware the pre 2000 Northstars. Can someone tell me why? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Pre 2000 Northstars

My guess is, he was selling a 2000. The only thing I can think of is the pre-2000's burn premium. That said, with the knock sensor they can and will run very well on regular.

1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    My guess is, he was selling a 2000. The only thing I can think of is the pre-2000's burn premium. That said, with the knock sensor they can and will run very well on regular.
    That's true, but when I use regular (medium) grade gas in my 99 Seville SLS (24K miles) the MPG is lower than when using premium. It may be a false economy to use regular (or medium) grade gas.

ljklaiber is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS 200K miles

95 SLS 144k miles on premium. No Probs. Why would anyone put regular crap in a Cadillac?

1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ljklaiber
    95 SLS 144k miles on premium. No Probs. Why would anyone put regular crap in a Cadillac?
    How does a difference of two points in a gasoline's knock rating make the lower number gas crap? Both get all the same additives, etc.

What do you think this is, some sort of fine, vintage wine that you are putting in your gas tank?:drinker

Incidentally, newer Caddies take "crap" grade gas and run fine on it.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

'94 STS, 120K, the piss is driven out of it daily, and it works great...ran 92 and 93 octane for a while, but 87 works beautifully with not a problem...when I was in Wyoming and Kansas not too long ago, I went with the "mid" grade, which was 87, because they had 83 and 85 as their cheapest and though that might be pushing it a bit. Stick with the 87.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I ran premium til Bbob convinced me that it will run fine on 87 "crap". I cannot tell the difference in performance nor milage. Just because you pay more for it, doen't mean is is "better".

Ellis1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So, Take it pre 2000 Northstars aren't prone to any problems.

What grade gas is suggested for your cars?

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My '97 Eldo's Service Manual calls for 91 Octane or better. This is what I use and I get excellent fuel mileage for an engine that is as strong as the Northstar. Averages 27mpg commuting.

I have no intentions to go to 87 or 89 to save 10 or 20 cents a gallon.

razeorc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The warning may be more in conjunction with the coolant system/headgasket issue which was more prevalent in the first gen N*s 92-95? which has been beat to death as an issue/problem on the boards, look around and you'll find more info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.