Cadillac Owners Forum banner

is there supposed to be something in the bottom radiator hoes?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Krashed989 
#1 · (Edited)
ok im trying to find out why my eldo keeps hitting 236 degrees at first it would stay at 200 and rise a little now it starts at 210-215 and gets to 235 a little above the first line. so i was checking my hoes and and i felt something in my bottom radiator hose on the driver side going into the motor it feels like its in the whole hose like a spring or something like that is that normal? im just trying to find out why its getting warm

#5 ·
The engine is set to run at 190-220 degrees. Your thermostat is probably set to begin at 188 and be fully open at 206. A cold thermostat throws off the sensor functions and actually is detrimental to engine life.

Your problem may be as simple as a $7.95 stock thermostat change or as complicated as a radiator or water pump going bad.

#8 ·
The thermostat is inside the hose fitting for the "lower" radiator hose - the one that comes out of the driver's side middle of the radiator tank and attaches to the fitting at the water pump. Drain the system and remove the hose at the engine. If installed, remove the water pump drive belt shroud. There are 2 bolts in the oval flange which is attached to the water pump cover housing. Remove them and the hose attachment with thermostat will come off. Replace the thermostat as originally installed, new gasket, and replace everything. All bolts go into aluminum - careful. Refill the system with 50/50 coolant of the type presently in the engine (orange = DEXCOOL, green = old style antifreeze) to halfway up the surge tank, replace the cap securely and run the engine for 10 minutes with a couple of spins up to 2500 rpm. Have a beer and clean up the mess. Let the car cool down to barely warm and open the surge tank cap. Fill the tank to only halfway up. Replace the cap securely. Good to go. 2 hours. Check the coolant level at halfway up, cold, next week.

#15 ·
Kit for what?

No it wont stay hot; it will fluctuate. It will get hot until it starts spewing coolant out of the overflow. Then since it was expanding while it spewed the coolant out, it cools down. Then it will heat up a bit hotter and start spewing coolant out again then cool down again. It will do this until it reaches a point where there's not enough coolant to keep the engine cool and the temperature will just keep going up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.