Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; how do you upload pics tried to insert attachments?...
    aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

how do you upload pics tried to insert attachments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

Go advanced and manage attachments.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

aac123, You need to create a folder of pictures that are about 50 - 95 kb in size, then use that to browse to as dkoz suggested. If you expect to be a regular contributor, create a "CF post pix" folder and slowly fill it up with good stuff. When you "go advanced", surf to the folder and upload what you want. You can also load pix into your private album......see the little album folder under your name ? Click on it.

One workaround large file size pix is to go to your camera or folder, e-mail the pix to yourself with the tool "Make my pictures smaller". It reduces the file size only, not the actual pic.........then open your own attachment and "save as" to your CF pic folder......

Sorry for the hijack.........

Thanks for the help guys,justed wanted to know what u think about cylinder #7 with the coolant in it since all other valves are clean and dry is #7 probally were the headbolt and gasket has failed the worse.Also read the other guys threads on doing them in the car was just wondering if somebody could chime in on how im going to get the back head off??? Take the moter mounts off and pull the engine forward is it that easy?? Thanks alot This place is alot of help and fun.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I haven't done the job in the car before, although I have done the job before. I think you're going to have to pull the head with the exhaust manifold still attached. There's 2 bolts hooking the exhaust manifold to the exhaust Y pipe, that's probably your best bet. You may have to lower the rear part of the cradle a little or take out the passenger side motor mount to get at it though. The coolant crossover, you can leave in place, just undo the 2 bolts which may cause you to have to take off the transaxle range switch (mark it before removal). There are two coolant pipes going over the exhaust manifold that you need to disconnect. Anyways, I hope you have small hands, a universal joint, lots of extensions, and are able to cuss a lot, because that's what you'll need. lol

Doing the job in the car means that you will not be able to use Jake's stud kit. Instead your repair options are limited to timeserts, and norms threaded inserts. Timeserts have a better drill guide (from what I've read). But Norms seems to hold better. Check out this thread for more information: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ilure-fix.html

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I have to ask...Why do it in the car?

It is sooooooooooooooooooo much easier if you drop the cradle.

Hey guys thanks for the input especially the one about the exaust and stuff, I was wondering about that and if i would be able to use jacks stud kits with it in the car. I would looooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeee to just drop the cradle but with no garage or equipment or the right funds I must cuss scrape and bloody knuckle it in the car.

Also I was kind of timid about even drilling new head bolts because I have never done that on an engine before maybe i would try it if i droped the cradle, but one wrong slip will I am bending over the fender while Im tapping would mean I just wasted the whole project.

So how many miles could I get If I just clean out the holes real good and put new head bolts and gasket in. I am just looking for the best route for a northstar novice to get the best RIDING car in the world back on the road.
    Thanks for the help and all or any input is gratly appreciated.

[NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

wait, so your not drilling the holes at all? Im pretty sure you have to drill, tap and either insert or stud each of the holes for the repair to have any effect.

If I'm wrong someone will chime in but I really dont think I am.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post
    So how many miles could I get If I just clean out the holes real good and put new head bolts and gasket in...
    To be honest, you would be lucky if you are able to even torque all the head bolts down without stripping the threads from the block. The integrity of the aluminum has already been compromised from age and even more so from just removing the old head bolts. You need the bolts to be gripping new metal, otherwise you'll be doing the job again in the near future.

Ya I didnt think I could get by with just putting new bolts but was reading the fsm and they had some way of measuring the length of the head bolt to the face and if it was one they would trash the block basically saying not worth the repai and couldnt be in inventory but the other way was just put new headbolts, that makes more commen sense what u guys said about the block being old already and stuff neeeds fresh aluminum to grip

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

A common problem with bad HG's is the threads that hold the head bolts corroding. You cannot retighten the bolts because the threads are stripped.

Trying to do the job the car requires a special close quarters drill to drill out the holes for the inserts.

Drilling and tapping the inserts is not hard. I used timeserts and it comes with a guide to insure you drill the holes in the right place and square to the block. If you follow the directions it is very hard to do it wrong. It becomes a long process but it is not hard, it's just doing all 20 holes that becomes a little tedious.

I would try to find somewhere to do this job where you can drop the cradle.

The only tool you are saving by doing it in the car is the engine hoist. Every other tool you will still need, plus you will need the special drill. If you can find an inexpensive hoist you can resell it or look into renting one. I prefer buying and reselling so it's available when you need it.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I have done a HG job in the car, and I can say it is possible. You must remove the rear head with the exhaust manifold attached, as mentioned above. I didnt have to tilt the engine in my 98 Deville. You will need to drill and install the timeserts or whatever you want to use, a 1/2 inch right angle drill is necessary for the rear holes, and some of the front holes. Also, I had to use an air ratchet to start some of the holes, and then I finished them off with the right angle drill. If you are at all creative you can do this job while in the car. Search for a post I left with some tips concerning timing, etc.

thanks bigtone ur thread was the one that made me even think it is possible to do in the car i was just wondering do i have to take out the transmission or anything special to tilt the engine forward to do the back bank

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.