Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Spark ping on light acceleration is almost always EGR. If you did a successful 125 mile drive and WOT runs, ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

Spark ping on light acceleration is almost always EGR.

If you did a successful 125 mile drive and WOT runs, you're good to go.

Now clean up the mess and enjoy the car..............

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    You probably did nothing wrong, but torque/angular readings are generally assumed to be taken on non-lubricated bolts/nuts/threads. Many assembly instructions caution against lubricating threads prior to final torque, but I have also seen advice on dipping the threads of some head bolts in engine oil. When all else fails, read the instructions.......An e-mail to ARP might be enlightening.

Think about it: If I use EOS, you use cup grease, Joe uses 10W-30, and Mary uses bear grease on a crankshaft cap assembly, whose torque reading is real, given the 4 different lubricants ? Torque does not, in any way, "tighten" a fastener. The required torque stretches the assembly (bolt/stud) primarily to assure even, repeatable, retainer and clamping pressures.
    Right, Ranger - I agree - I think that's part of the reason for the angular tightening specs - 120 degrees lubed is the same degree of clamping force/tightness as 120 degrees dry

Akiragrey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

This has got to be one of the most amazing do-it-yourself stories I have ever read. Rock on! Glad you get to enjoy the car now.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

update: 750 miles and runs like a top!

update:2000 miles and holding temps around 200, with a/c on runs about 10 degrees hotter.

I got a question, does anybody know of doing the headgasket job in a seville while the engine is in the car? Is their enough clearance in the back after tilting cradle forward.

I know I know dropping the cradle is easier but im just not comfortable doing that and no garage so............what do ya think?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

I'm pretty sure the engine bay would be the same configuration and size as the one you just did, so long as it's around the same year.

Update: 9.000 miles and 2 oil changes the deville is still drivin like a boat
    with 275 HP in the front. Cant belive these cars can catch second and bark a tire.

Thanks to everybody and NORMS

osu411yamaha is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville STS

Hey AAC,
    Thanks for updating. I have read over this thread and was wondering if they were still holding. I have a 2000 STS with 112k and moving to an apartment with no garage. Your thread gives me hope if my HG were to ever go.... By the way was wondering if you ever heard if this was possible on a Seville without dropping engine? Also was wondering if its possible to do above on a Seville with Jakes kit?
    Thanks,
    OSU411

whats goin on. Ya man you can do it but cant use jake's kit unless u drop the engine. But Norms is holding for me, if doing it in the car use norms because there pretty beefy. If droping the engine use jakes kit studs is the way to go, but norms works if doing it in the car.

Thanks for the info and the great thread. It is like its own little story book of you learning as you go. It is definitely a gold mine for us poor folk without a garage!!!!!

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

I want to mention something because it keeps getting repeated and repeated, it's that " I can't drop the cradle cus I don't have a garage" whine.

I NEVER did a Northstar HG job IN...A...GARAGE! Sorry I yelled.

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    I want to mention something because it keeps getting repeated and repeated, it's that " I can't drop the cradle cus I don't have a garage" whine.

I NEVER did a Northstar HG job IN...A...GARAGE! Sorry I yelled.
    Oh okay. All I can do is laugh. I live in an apartment complex. Am I supposed to drop my subframe/engine/trans and leave it sitting in the middle of the apartment complex for the days it takes to complete the job? What about others in the same situation? If they do it in the car they can simply close their hood at the end of each day they are working on it......

Quote Originally Posted by osu411yamaha View Post
    Oh okay. All I can do is laugh. I live in an apartment complex. Am I supposed to drop my subframe/engine/trans and leave it sitting in the middle of the apartment complex for the days it takes to complete the job? What about others in the same situation? If they do it in the car they can simply close their hood at the end of each day they are working on it......
    BINGO just shut the hood, u cant just shut the hood when its jacked up and what happens if it rains for 2 days not good for engine, maybe tarp it up...idk.
    In the car is a major PITA, but it is auite possible just not enjoyable.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by osu411yamaha View Post

Actually most apartment complexes don't allow any work on your car. So it's possible they are going to tell you to stop.

Hello to all, 2 wks ago i was rear ended in my deville by a napa autoparts truck in a 45 mph zone and really messed up the car. So the insurance company said they can fix it for 2850$(ya right) and that the car is worth about 6K.In NC if the damage is 75% of the value then by law the car must be written off as a total loss. So im trying to get another estimate on the damage right now by a GM body shop. I really want them to write off the car so i can buy this 2000 DTS with 186K with blown headgasket.

? 1: Can the 2000 deville HG repair be done in the car?

? 2: How much should I pay the used car lot for the dts they want 3900?

O ya btw i had put almost 10,000 miles on it since I installed norms, dogged the shit out of it before and after the repair and didnt lose a drop of coolant or overheat once so im going with norms again repairing in the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.