Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Bump...
    aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

Bump

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

If you were turning it slowly by hand and had a valve hit a piston there should be no appreciable damage. The key is slowly...

ya i been turning it very slowly and havent moved it much

Took the crankshaft pulley bolt out today not as bad as everybody says i just used my foot and pushed it 2 or 3 times it broke free

But now i cant get the pulley off got a 3 jaw but the bolt is to short has a rod in the kit i could get it on with the rod but when i turned the pulley the whole crank turns. Do i have to lock the flywheel to take the pulley off as well? Any tips for getting the pulley off would be greatly appreciated.

It is taking a long time so far but once i get the timin set i think i can button it all up in 2 days. By the way i have NEVER worked on an engine before is also why its taking a while.

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Your going to need to lock that flywheel somehow. Do you have the starter in? If not you can use a bolt through the starter hole and into a hole in the flexplate to hold it while you apply muscle. You are not going to get the crank pulley off without holding the crank stationary.

thanks man, the starter is out i locked it by having a buddy hold a big screwdriver on the flywheel(thats how i got the bolt out). guess i will try again tommorow, Is it ok for the pulley rod to go into the crankshaft bolt hole?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post
    thanks man, the starter is out i locked it by having a buddy hold a big screwdriver on the flywheel(thats how i got the bolt out). guess i will try again tommorow, Is it ok for the pulley rod to go into the crankshaft bolt hole?
    That surface in the bolt hole wasn't meant to be used like that and the crankshaft material is pretty soft. I wouldn't do that. In your situation I would put the bolt back in place to where the head is about 1/4 of an inch from the pulley and then use the puller on it.

When you're using the right puller, you have the big round thing over the bolt hole spreading the force over that wide area. With the rod, you might dig in.

ok i finally got the timing set and ready, took off oil pump and all three tensioners, then took the bottom 2 sprockets off put them back on lined like manual says, turned 7 times to make sure was really lined up. Then installed tensioners fully retracted put all 4 sprockets in proper 90 degree position, put chains on, let the tensioners out, took a deep breath and turned 14 revolutions, first time was a little off so redid the cam sprockets, chains and 2 tensioners and turned 14 revolutions. BOOM everything was like it is supposed to be. mine turning an engine over that many times is not fun even with a torque wrench. But timing is set so time to reassemble and fire her up.

any tips on initial startup, i was going to change the oil run it for 15 minutes then drain and put fresh in. Is that the right thing to do?

What about the coolant? Do i just run tap water on first 15 minutes then when i change the oil just pour 3 gallons of fresh coolant into the surge tank. I want to get as much of the old junk out as i can, is it really neccessary to flush or is it the right thing to do just run with water then drain and put new coolant in it. Whats the difference between what i intend on doing and doing a "flush"

Any other tips on starting up after headgasket job would be greatly appreciated, i searched but didnt really come up with specifics.

Thanks to all that reply, couldnt have attemted it without u

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

Did you clean out all the coolant from around the cylinders when you had the heads off? If you did I would just fill with coolant and not worry about it, thats what I did with mine and have had no problems at all.

With the oil, since you are changing it and starting with fresh to change it at 15 minute run time is probably a bit wasteful. If you think you have a lot of stuff running around in there you may want to change the filter at 15 mins, I personally would change the filter at 15, and then run it for ~500 miles and then change it.

Did you get the correct torque on the crank bolt? - this is critical as the force from the crank bolt torque is what drives the oil pump.

You will need to prime the oil pump prior to startup - what I did and what other members of the forum have done is to disconnect the coils and turn over without starting. When I did mine I think I cranked the engine for like 15 seconds, left if for 15, then cranked it for 15, etc. Did this for a total of two minutes - re-connected the coils and everything worked great. I did not want to take a chance on burning up the starter running it continuously.

Take your time and take a good look at everything you have touched just to think about what you did and whether you torqued it properly, whether you have reconnected all the wires, did you have any leftover bolts, nuts, washers, etc (shouldn't have any), etc. Sounds very anal - but can save you heartache in the long run.

Good luck, there is not a better feeling of accomplishment than that of turning the key and it starting right up after major work like this.

thanks man and ya i torqued the crankbolt which was not for little boys
    37 ft lbs wasnt sh*t but the 120 degrees now that was a mutherf*cker for sure. Had to get some body to hold torque wrench why i pushed with my foot .

When timing is reset like i did 4 cams and 2 sprockets lined up is it ok for the crank to move a little cas when i was putting the pulley on it moved a little.

Shouldnt the timing remain the same becaus chains are all tight and on right sprockets right

just paranoid i guess

thanks. a day or more of button up and i will let u know if i failed or succeded

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

The crank pulley is not indexed, and your timing has not changed.

Tightening my crank pulley bolt 37 ft lbs + 120 degrees was easy - so easy, in fact, that I loosened it and did it again - same result...and no problems with oil pressure or anything else. I think I did put a little light oil on the bolt threads - maybe that is why it was easy? Nothing I had seen or read said whether to lube those threads, so I didn't know if a little light oil was OK, or not. I did put a light coating of oil on the threads, and like I wrote, no problems at all.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You probably did nothing wrong, but torque/angular readings are generally assumed to be taken on non-lubricated bolts/nuts/threads. Many assembly instructions caution against lubricating threads prior to final torque, but I have also seen advice on dipping the threads of some head bolts in engine oil. When all else fails, read the instructions.......An e-mail to ARP might be enlightening.

Think about it: If I use EOS, you use cup grease, Joe uses 10W-30, and Mary uses bear grease on a crankshaft cap assembly, whose torque reading is real, given the 4 different lubricants ? Torque does not, in any way, "tighten" a fastener. The required torque stretches the assembly (bolt/stud) primarily to assure even, repeatable, retainer and clamping pressures.

THANKS TO ALL who inputted in this thread, could not have done it without u guys. Like I said befoe I have never worked on an engine before and after studying here for about 4 months and gathering tools and a plan took about 6 weeks to finish. Not bad with doing it in the car, in the driveway and no engine experiance before, i mean i never even changed the oil myself in a car b4. Plus couldnt work on it in rain or during 90 degree heat during the day. So again THANKS for this site and all who helped saved my ass 3-5 thousand $. Heres the lo-down.

Buttoned everything up, ran new oil, oil filter and filled with water, primed it with icm technique then let run for about 15 minutes. Then put new oil, filter, new 100% dexcool red coolant mixed 50% with water and air filter. Cranked right up and took it for a 125 mile test run with WOT alot on highway and uphills, temps never got above 203 degrees.

had low refrig/ac off message so tried to fill with the freon refill kit with gauge, wouldnt take anymore freon after 1 tall can. Message went away but air doesnt blow air threw the vents just the botom at ur feet. Is there air in the system; i did unhook it when doing the headgasket job.

Had P0118 but found that was a sensor on rear head, waiting till morning to plug up as i looked and seen it was unplugged. Thats the only code i got, putting everything back together is really easy i think just plug n play really.

So how many miles will i know the job was a success or is it a success with the 125 mile WOT run. Used norms and felpro bolts and gasket.
    Any ideas on the air condithing??? Cant have a caddy without a/c just not right u know.
    THANKS AGAIN REALLY ALOT

never mind the ac question found vacum line from passenger side wasnt plugged into line under a line on intake gasket. Now it feels like a caddy, going to try to get that sensor this morning.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

NICE man! Congrats on fixing your car! You've just put yourself through what many experienced mechanics would deem a total PITA! Hell, many mechanics would try to steer clear of a job like that. And, for you to do this as your first mechanical experience is amazing. It's the equivalent to never seeing water before in your life and just diving into the deep end of the swimming pool; you either pick up fast or you drown.

I think the job was a success if you're driving it like that without problems.

thanks man i will always be a lurker here and help people when i can like u guys did me and people did u guys,its what makes the internet go-round.
    By the way got code cleared up(just plugged up sensor on rear head).

Next on the list is sounds like slight spark detonation upon light acceleration, i think by reading info her its maybe EGR related, but ill make another thread on that one,. It was doing that before the job.

The Information archived here is priceless

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.