Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have been reading your post, and while I applaud your determination, I feel bad that you are working so ...
    tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

I have been reading your post, and while I applaud your determination, I feel bad that you are working so hard to do this with engine and cradle still installed in the car. I would do anything (rent a garage, buy a garage, buy a house with a garage, make friends with someone that has a garage, marry someone that has a garage, anything!) to avoid NOT dropping the cradle. The engine/trans/steering rack was installed in the car as one assembly, and that is how it should come out.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

1999 deville need to set timing anybody know a way to do it without buying the 150 dollar tool that locks the flywheel in place? Can i just get a helper to hold something wedged in there so i can turn the crankshat to get it out?

i see tateos were u talked about turning the crank 7 revolutions then it would be lined up. Is there a way i can just turn it so many times to get it to line itself up then line up the 4 cams after the heads are on?

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post
    1999 deville need to set timing anybody know a way to do it without buying the 150 dollar tool that locks the flywheel in place? Can i just get a helper to hold something wedged in there so i can turn the crankshat to get it out?

i see tateos were u talked about turning the crank 7 revolutions then it would be lined up. Is there a way i can just turn it so many times to get it to line itself up then line up the 4 cams after the heads are on?
    Yes - that is what I did - never locked anything in place to install the cams. I just made sure the crank and balancer dots were adjacent, then the cam marks were at 12:00, and then I was done. I just made sure nothing had shifted once I was done... and double checked and triple checked and also turned the crank by hand, with a breaker bar, to make sure not valves would ever touch...then checked again!

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Like Tateos said above, I stopped my engine at tdc #1 with the cam marks straight up before I took it apart. Locked everything so it wouldnt turn. I took the starter off and fabricated a piece of aluminum to tighten up against the flywheel to keep it from turning. If nothing turns, you really shouldnt have an issue. I also turned mine over by hand just to make sure.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Wait, you didn't mark the chain/sprockets?... I'm just saying it would've been a lot easier for you if you did.

It doesn't matter if the chain jumps teeth, since it wasn't marked. Just find TDC for #1. It doesn't matter if the mark on the intermediate sprocket is lined up with the crankshaft sprocket either. They only line up once in like 7 revolutions or so. As long as the crank is at TDC for #1 it's good. A 19mm socket will get you there, just try to keep the chains from falling off the intermediate sprocket. Then make the RE (Right bank Exhaust) and RI (Right bank Intake) marks, also LE and LI marks, so that they are straight up (90 degree angles from the valve cover gasket seating surface). There is a hex on the camshafts which is useful in lining them up. I used an adjustable wrench on them.

Once the chains are on and you think it's timed good, turn the crankshaft over 2 complete revolutions to see if the marks line up again. If they do, then you're all set to put it all back together.

fellas i did mark the cam sprockets to the head but i wasnt at TDC and when itook the first sprocket off i forgot about holding the camshaft so it moved alittle, i tried to move it back in position but i dont trust that.So can i just turn the crankshaft without the heads until i get to TDC by looking at pistons( i think in all the pics i seen 2 pistons were flush up and the rest were all down) then right angle the 4 sprockets 90 degrees to the head with the I and E. Will these set the timing without having to remove the cover and all that.

fellas i did mark the cam sprockets to the head but i wasnt at TDC and when itook the first sprocket off i forgot about holding the camshaft so it moved alittle, i tried to move it back in position but i dont trust that.So can i just turn the crankshaft without the heads until i get to TDC by looking at pistons( i think in all the pics i seen 2 pistons were flush up and the rest were all down) then right angle the 4 sprockets 90 degrees to the head with the I and E. Will these set the timing without having to remove the cover and all that.
    Yup! You only have to look at piston #1 and put it to the top of its travel.

When the crank is at TDC for #1, scratch a line, or draw a line with white out or something, from the harmonic balancer to the timing cover. Use that as your timing mark for the crank.

I think the crankshaft and intermediate idler gears have to have the dots adjacent - that's what the factory manual says to do. Once those marks are adjacent, you just need to have the 4 crank gears with their marks at 12:00 in relation to the cylinder heads and everything will be perfect. Now, if you don't have the timing case cover off, maybe you have to do it like Krashed wrote - maybe that is the same thing, just in different words.

Having the intermediate idler mark and the crank mark pointing at each other is only if you took the chain off in between the crank and the idler. If that chain was never taken off, then you shouldn't have any problems with just lining up the crank and the cams. By putting the crank at TDC, you're also lining up that idler.

thanks for the input while im waiting on the parts

SO just.....

turn the crank untill i get TDC by visual

put the 4 cam sprockets on heads with pins 90 degrees to head,I and E pointing up in right spot

bolt down heads install tensioners

then turn 14 revolutions

....and the cams should all be 90 degrees
    THEN TIMING IS SET

THANK YOU

thanks for the input while im waiting on the parts

SO just.....

turn the crank untill i get TDC by visual

put the 4 cam sprockets on heads with pins 90 degrees to head,I and E pointing up in right spot

bolt down heads install tensioners

then turn 14 revolutions

....and the cams should all be 90 degrees
    THEN TIMING IS SET

THANK YOU
    Yup!

And you only need to turn the crank 2 revolutions to verify that the marks line up again. You can turn it over 14 times if you want though, if you want to be really sure!

thanks for the double confirmation(dont want to do this again unless its dropping the cradle)

I have read alot and cant recall anybody doing norms in the car only timeserts, I guess because of the drill plate. But norms are cheaper and almost double the size, any opinions????

jeffrsmith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 SLS, '05 Deville, '87 Porsche 944

You serve yourself well to proceed cautiously. Check and Double Check should be everyones motto when working on timing a NorthStar. If you F*** it up you need to be ready to spend money.

dimone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville CC

Please don't jump TOO harshly on this question!! Beyond tight workspaces, hard-to-reach bolts, and awkward rear drilling, why is "engine-in-car" so bad? It seems like an irritating option, by some of us don't have the ability to get the body up and engine thru the well. I'm rolling the "in-car" idea around in the back of my mind, but all but a few posters scream "NOOOOOOO!" I'm just wondering why it's so bad. Is it mostly a patience issue?

As always, I appreciate any input.

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Quote Originally Posted by dimone View Post
    Please don't jump TOO harshly on this question!! Beyond tight workspaces, hard-to-reach bolts, and awkward rear drilling, why is "engine-in-car" so bad? It seems like an irritating option, by some of us don't have the ability to get the body up and engine thru the well. I'm rolling the "in-car" idea around in the back of my mind, but all but a few posters scream "NOOOOOOO!" I'm just wondering why it's so bad. Is it mostly a patience issue?

As always, I appreciate any input.
    You answered your own question...IRRITATING! You are less likely to finish the job if you make it hard. I really think you do a better job when you make it as easy as possible. Plus, after doing a few, I really think it is faster to drop the cradle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.