Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I used a comealong hooked to the engine hook on the drivers side to the rad support, but to be ...
    bigtone is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

I used a comealong hooked to the engine hook on the drivers side to the rad support, but to be clear, I used it only to hold the engine forward as far as I could pull it by hand. You have to be careful not to damage the motor mounts. Actually I only used it on reassembly. That 1/2" or so really made a difference when putting the heater pipes and valve cover on. There should be enough clearance on your 99 to remove the head without moving the engine, although it will be tight removing the valve cover.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

thanks for chiming in bigtone, i will try that. I am doing the project like u taking my time and just closing the hood when i get frustrated which helps alot. By the way how is ur caddy doin since the timesert cas i know i cant drill the norms straight leaning over the fender like that so timesert, but man is it wayyyyyy overpriced for a insert kit.

later

I have been driving it almost daily, and have about 6000 miles on it. It's running great. Temperature holds to a max of about 205 going up hills. No issues at all. I bought a used timesert kit off of ebay, and then you can buy the inserts themselves from the manufacturer. I was planning on selling the kit when I was done, but so far I havent. I keep thinking I would pick up another car that needed the work for cheap.

update so far....thanks for the tip on the cradle bolts really gave me all the room u could need really (still is tight) and took out the 10 head bolts, unhooked sensor on head, took off sprockets. FYI there are 5 10MM bolts connecting the time tensioners and such connected to the block very tricky to get to, have to use a magnet to make sure u dont drop one into the bottom.
    Anybody got suggestions how to take off the 2 black pipes running from the water crossover to the heater core hoses do you have to take them off and if so how? nothing in the alldata manual and looks like the bracket is welded to the head
    Thanks alot

[NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

the two brackets are held on by 1 (on each) 10MM? bolt I used a midget gear wrench, a swivel head ratchet may also be able to get in that tight area.

Quote Originally Posted by [NortHStaR] View Post
    the two brackets are held on by 1 (on each) 10MM? bolt I used a midget gear wrench, a swivel head ratchet may also be able to get in that tight area.
    Its alot easier to remove the pipes without the bracket in the way. It does bolt on, I left it off altogether, much easier to installer the pipes.

well almost got the rear head off but it still feel like something is holding it.
    Unhooked all the tensioner bolts (5 10MM), the sensor on the left and right, unbolted the water crossover, unbolted the rear flange to exhaust,unbolted the big black bracket with 2 nuts on the head and one bolt on the block>theirs one nut that is holding some electrical wires; does this need to come off as well? Besides last thing mentioned it should come off right? Any tidbits or pointers would be greatly appreciated and thanks alot for the help so far.

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

On the drivers side there is a bracket that goes from the head to the tranny. Did you disconnect that? Look at the base of where the engine lift point is.... On the passenger side there is an extension of the motor mount bracket that has 1 bolt hooking it to the back of the head... I can't think of any more right now.

I wonder if some pics might help?

Sorry I don't have anything really up close right now. I can get some tomorrow though.

ya man this is what i think is still holding the rear head because i can get it way looser on the right side, was wondering if u had a pic of the opposite u just posted. For the other black bracket there is a nut with wires connected to it. Dont knw if its connected to the head or the black bracket thats connected to the head and block(2 nuts on head one bolt in block)
    I think what u posted is what was holding the left side down.
    will post more tommorow night hopefully with no rear head.

well fellas the rear head was not fun at all.The 3 black wires on the right side i cut cas i tried for 2 hrs to get them off and the gold tensioner on the rear came out. iT HAS NO BOLT on the bottom loooks like it latches maybe somebody knows?are those ground wires for the pcm cas im going to have to reclamp the ends with new clamps
    will post pics in a minute

heres some pics what u think about the rear bank
    looks kinda bad to me

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

The bolt for that tensioner was supposed to be screwed into the head.... Check to see if if sheared off. Hopefully it didn't fall into the engine. Stick a magnet-on-a-stick down in there to see if you get anything.

ya i got the bolt at the top were it scres into the head
    i guess the bottom part just slides in between that bottom tensioner and the chain.Do u know if those wires can be spliced and lengthened, cas i cut a little to much off
    Thanks
    norms or timesert????????????????

heres some more pics of the rear head and gasket and the 3 wires i cut.
    sorry i accidently deleted the other pics on the thread

I remember those ground wires when I did mine. I had a slim wrench that I managed to hold the back nut with, because the whole stud was turning on me, and I didnt want to break the wires. I did spend some time on that. Hard to tell by the pics, but all I had was one this spot that was steam cleaned between #1 and #3 cylinders. Thats all it took.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.