Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; aac123, I use a straight edge to check the head for straightness. A level or carpenter's square works. I did ...
    zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

Re: Check out my Headgasket Job in the car!!!!

aac123, I use a straight edge to check the head for straightness. A level or carpenter's square works. I did not send them out.

Check the cams carefully for worn lobes.

Timing the cams in the car is a pain.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Not to be a nag about this, but I did mine in the car, and did not have to lower the engine or remove the balancer. I removed the bolts from the timing cover and it tilted out at the top enough for me to reach in and release the tensioners. Actually, the was enough room to replace one of the guides that I broke when removing the head.

aac123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville DTS

Quote Originally Posted by zonie77 View Post
    aac123, I use a straight edge to check the head for straightness. A level or carpenter's square works. I did not send them out.

Check the cams carefully for worn lobes.

Timing the cams in the car is a pain.
    thanks zonie, the car only has 100,000 and has overheated while I replaced the whole coolant system so i didnt know if all the heat cycles didnt warp or crack the heads or block, I hope not. Doesnt aluminum disperse heat more efficiently than iron or steel, even though its softer could it be more durable during bad conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    Not to be a nag about this, but I did mine in the car, and did not have to lower the engine or remove the balancer. I removed the bolts from the timing cover and it tilted out at the top enough for me to reach in and release the tensioners. Actually, the was enough room to replace one of the guides that I broke when removing the head.
    na no nag ive been waitin for ya to chime in for i take the heads off. Thanks bigtone, by the way i see in ur pics u left the water crossover on was the any bolts connected to the head that u had to take out?

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Quote Originally Posted by aac123 View Post
    na no nag ive been waitin for ya to chime in for i take the heads off. Thanks bigtone, by the way i see in ur pics u left the water crossover on was the any bolts connected to the head that u had to take out?
    There are two bolts hooking the water crossover to the head. You may need to remove the transmission range switch (mark it first so you can install it in the same position after) to get them out. The wire harness is probably in the way too.

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    No nag...that's very cool - what you did was very creative - unbolting but not removing the timing case cover. I salute you!

[NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

Yes my hats off to anyone who puts themselvs through the brain pain of doing this job with the motor in the car.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Yes, there are 2 bolts in each head. When I reinstalled, I just slid the new gasket in between the crossover and the head while I was lowering the head in place.

Cant get the front head off, took off 10 headbolts all bolts that I can see. What is holding the head on, took the 2 timin tensioners. What are the M6 bolts and how many are there???????

32vmonte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Did you take the three bolts off inside the area where the timing chain runs?

They just seal the end of the head up to prevent oil from escaping. I know there is a name for them, I do know they are only torqued to like 106 in/lbs or something like that.

EDIT: Oh never mind I looked at your pic and seen that you have removed them already. Should just pull off. Maybe its stuck on there with the gasket.

I would take out the dipstick tube, because it will get in the way. It just has a 10mm bolt securing it to the block and then it pulls out of its hole, twist it as you pull to free the rubber O ring.

Other than that, you may just be stuck on the exhaust. Have someone help you lift the head off. They're freaking HEAVY!

zonie77 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 ETC,97 STS

thanks zonie, the car only has 100,000 and has overheated while I replaced the whole coolant system so i didnt know if all the heat cycles didnt warp or crack the heads or block, I hope not. Doesnt aluminum disperse heat more efficiently than iron or steel, even though its softer could it be more durable during bad conditions?
    It's been unusual for the heads to warp. . The Caddy engineers got that part right. If they check flat O would reuse them.

thanks guys, ya i took the dipstick bolt out,

the fsm keeps saying M6 bolts WHERE ARE THEY??????

M11 is the headbolts

well fellas finally got the front heads off still dont know what an M6 bolts any way there was a third bolt in the tensioner area to take out and then with a little prying boom right out it came. Going to start working on the back head tommorow, any tips on how to pull the engine forward. I got a come along but i dont want to break-snap any thing while i move it forward, any things to look out for?

Dont do it with a come along. It's Waaaaayyy easier to just loosen the cradle bolts. loosen the back ones a little (take the forward one out of both sides of the back) then just loosen the front bolts. The whole thing will tilt. Just put a jack or some jack stands up front just in case you loosen them a little too much, or just take the two front ones out all the way and adjust the angle with a jack. The bolts should be 18mm.

and wow those intake valves are like super clean, or are those the exhaust valves? it's hard to tell with the small picture.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.