What is the difference between VIN 9 and VIN Y 4.6L Northstars ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, What is the difference between VIN 9 and VIN Y 4.6L Northstars ? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; what is the difference is one better than the other?...
    crthorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

What is the difference between VIN 9 and VIN Y 4.6L Northstars ?

what is the difference is one better than the other?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Re: what is the difference between vin 9 and vin Y

Seriously?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

25 hp

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

iowasevillests is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab

Just start reading....tech archives, this section, N* section, everything you can

RDHambrice is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado ELC

Hello
    Basically, Vin 9s are identified as ETCs while Vin Ys are ESCs. I have a '98 ESC which I love. It is black on black with chrome wheels. Often ESCs are equipped with aluminum wheels. Vin 9's engines are rated 300hp while Vin Y's are 275hp. Both are great engines.
    Good Luck,
    RDH

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

i have the vin y in my seville and love it

but what i never understood is how come the vin 9 with more power and performance is cheaper than a vin y
    i dont know the extact price but i know i was looking around and a new vin y is like 400 dollars more than the new vin 9 if you where to have to change

is it somthing htat you can swap a vin 9 into a vin y or would there be to mouch to change with that

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The only difference is the intake cam, but it is mated to a different trans (different final drive ratio) and has a different PCM.

crthorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

Sweet thank you for the information.

KARAOKE-STEVE is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The only difference is the intake cam, but it is mated to a different trans (different final drive ratio) and has a different PCM.
    Is there a way to switch a VIN "Y" out with a VIN "9", my girlfriend bought a car without me looking at it first (spent nearly her entire income tax refund), the 1997 Caddy is sweet, gold with white leather, 102,000 original, every option but moonroof and everything works, but started running hot the next day after she bought it, I flushed the system, replaced thermastat, and still ran hot, so I took it to a shop and had a comporession test ran, and sure enough was losing a little (she drove over 120 the night before, when she bought it). I found a motor for $300 dollars already out of the old car, but it is a "9" and my mechanic knew right away there was a difference and had me check the VIN before considering. Please give me your expert opinion on how I can fix this problem, we don't have the money to rebuild the head gasket, not to mention that the heads have to be milled and everything, correct?

~~~Steve

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Engine, trans & PCM must match. And if u must put a used motor in, u better know were it came from. Demo first. Not something u wanna do twice.

----------

Why did they make the LD8 anyway? And why limit it to 110MPH??

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

LD8 offers greater torque, and with 3.11:1 final drive, it offers lower cruising RPM. Results: Better gas mileage, less noise - suitable for interstate cruising. It is assumed that interstate cars don't necessarily need continued high speed operation, so LD8 cars usually came with factory S-rated tires, no oil cooler, and soft ride suspensions.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by KARAOKE-STEVE View Post
    Is there a way to switch a VIN "Y" out with a VIN "9", my girlfriend bought a car without me looking at it first (spent nearly her entire income tax refund), the 1997 Caddy is sweet, gold with white leather, 102,000 original, every option but moonroof and everything works, but started running hot the next day after she bought it, I flushed the system, replaced thermastat, and still ran hot, so I took it to a shop and had a comporession test ran, and sure enough was losing a little (she drove over 120 the night before, when she bought it). I found a motor for $300 dollars already out of the old car, but it is a "9" and my mechanic knew right away there was a difference and had me check the VIN before considering. Please give me your expert opinion on how I can fix this problem, we don't have the money to rebuild the head gasket, not to mention that the heads have to be milled and everything, correct?

~~~Steve
    Steve,

All you have to do is swap the intake cams from your car to the new engine.....really.....that's all it takes (provided the 9 is from the same year).

There can be other small differences to account for....my 97 STS came with an oil cooler, the Y's did not, so swap your non-oil cooler oil filter bracket over if the used engine has the ports for a cooler.

I have read that the 9's had stronger valve springs, but haven't see it in practice...and since you'd be "de-tuning" a vin 9 for your SLS, it wouldn't matter if there was a difference.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by maeng9981 View Post
    LD8 offers greater torque, and with 3.11:1 final drive, it offers lower cruising RPM. Results: Better gas mileage, less noise - suitable for interstate cruising. It is assumed that interstate cars don't necessarily need continued high speed operation, so LD8 cars usually came with factory S-rated tires, no oil cooler, and soft ride suspensions.
    Like I said before, why? I always liked the "9" cars better. Never noticed much difference in ride or noise (not enough to say this sucks) and they go 150. Buy a Hyundai for gas mileage.

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Like I said before, why? I always liked the "9" cars better. Never noticed much difference in ride or noise (not enough to say this sucks) and they go 150. Buy a Hyundai for gas mileage.
    Why not? VIN 9 cars are tuned for sports/spirited driving conditions, and VIN Y cars are tuned for cruising. Two satisfied types of customers with one model type. For example, look at the suspensions. VIN 9 cars generally have FE3 coupled with CVRSS/F55 while VIN Y cars have EF1 and passive suspensions. VIN 9 cars have stiffer settings. VIN Y cars have softer settings for those of whom that are looking for the "Cadillac Ride". Also, what's wrong about offering a good gas mileage in a Cadillac? When you can have a comparable performance and crank up the MPG, then it's catching two birds with one stone.

Sort of like Cadillac offering 3.0 and 3.6 V6 now... except there were no Cadillac Northstars other than 4.6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.