97 deville blown head gasket question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 deville blown head gasket question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i got a question? when the head bolts pull out of the threads,. are their any threads left? what i ...
    2009chopper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 deville

97 deville blown head gasket question

i got a question? when the head bolts pull out of the threads,. are their any threads left? what i mean is i noticed they give you a choice on new head bolts getting them longer, has anyone heard of someone putting in longer bolts and it holding the heads down? just curious

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Krashed989 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC

Re: 97 deville head gasket question

No, you do NOT want to torque down new bolts (weather they are long or normal sized) without at least drilling and installing threaded inserts into each head bolt hole. The aluminum has already been weakened and it's a gamble with too much odds against you. The best way to go would be to install studs and have the heads secured with nuts.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 97 deville blown head gasket question

Why two threads on the same question ??

Longer bolts are not an option, especially at the 4 head corner holes.

2 threads, same question.......I believe the longer head bolts are for late 2002+ blocks, when the hole, thread pitch, and depth were changed.

well i know it may have sounded like a dumb question but had to ask. anyway sorry for the double thread, in all the months i have been reading on here it was my first thread and did not realize it would end up that way. sorry.

Not a dumb question, and you can see that a moderator merged the two together. There were several bolt/thread changes over the course of the FWD Northstar run with the largest and longest bolts in the 2003 - on series.

Jake (97EldoCoupe) seems to have engineered the best fix: head studs. BUT, the engine must be out of the car and there's a bit of intense drilling and tapping to do on a well-protected short block. (Tape and cover EVERY hole except the one being drilled and tapped.)

the stud treatment is interesting. why would studs be better then new bolts with timecerts. would studs have a chance at pulling out too? also i have another question, i dont seem to have water flow. after the car heats up the fans do not come on and when i pop the cap in the serge tank the water is cold in their? im going to check for a plugged serge line today but was wondering if the blown headgasket could cause no circulation? also when i do pop the cap their seems to be lots of pressure.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

was wondering if the blown headgasket could cause no circulation?
    If the head gasket is breached, then it is putting exhaust gases into the cooling system. Water pump won't pump air.

also when i do pop the cap their seems to be lots of pressure.
    That may well be exhaust gases. It will pressurize the system.

thats what i thought because i noticed when i poped the cap their was some (smoke) coming out of the purge tank! i guess its time to decide what i want to do.
    either rebuild or part out! i only paid 900 for the car and its really clean., so i am thinking a rebuild might be a good investment as long as i keep it for a few years after.

chubbyranger is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55

If you are wise young grassChopper there is much to read here to guide your path. Here is one thread but there are many others: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-project.html

Search for HG threads by Zonie77 and Tateos

WOW! nice thread! and my hats off on the rebuild! i have built several of my own motors, small block chevys and dodges! and just built a 2009 chopper from scratch off the internet lol. and wow you know i guess its the fear of the unknown, its so overwelming when ya look under the hood, its not like working on my 66 impala or my 70 chevy el camino, lol. but i guess its one of those projects that ya start and part way into it half of ya says wow what did i get myself into and the other half says well ya got too much invested to stop now lol. i love this forum, its not just a bunch of guys that read then come on and act like they know what they are doing, its guys that have been their done that! this is my kinda place, mabey soon ill post some pics if i decide to tear into my 97 deville.

[NortHStaR] is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

The HG job is not real hard just long and tedious, use the head studs they are the best thing since sliced bread you won't ever have a HG problem again and even if you do you can re-use the studs so you don't have to buy another $500 kit but I truely don't believe you will have another problem....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.