2006 DTS engine issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2006 DTS engine issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I posted this in the DTS forum not thinking but I'm redirecting it here. I have a small issue I ...
    SouthernCountry is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 DTS Black Raven

2006 DTS engine issue

I posted this in the DTS forum not thinking but I'm redirecting it here. I have a small issue I believe because I think I had this problem with my first caddy and I gave her a tune up. My engine jerks or I guess you can say hiccups while idling and sometimes when I accelerate. Only problem is I get no engine light which I know I should get if it misfires so I'm wondering if maybe it could be my fuel filter. She starts fine. Also would like to note that after taking a look at the engine I realized Cadillac pretty much changed the way to access the spark plugs. Caught me off guard.

So basically I'm asking for a good point of direction before I get into something and put in too much work for nothing. She only has 67K on her. Hopefully Ranger can help me out here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2006 DTS engine issue

It's not the fuel pump. If the pump could not supply enough fuel to idle it would fall flat on it's face at higher fuel demands. Check the plenum for a leak. If that's OK, then I'd lean towards plugs or coils.

will do...i went to auto zone yesterday to price check that stuff and guy told me $119 each...anyways i gotta go get some more accessories for my tool kit since im missing some pieces just to get to my spark plugs...why did gm make it harder to get to the rear plugs?

ok...now im gettin nervous...unfortunately i have to drive my car back and forth to work since it is my only means and i dont have the funds on hand to drop her in the shop

im on my way home cruising at 50 and all of a sudden i get service traction control and service stabilitrak and then the transmission light starts flashing....i need a prayer and a stimulus check if this gets any worse.......anybody know what im to expect???????????

Pull the DTC's and the car will tell you.

Good news...I don't know why I thought it was my transmission light..mix up...engine light went off today on the way home..stopped at autozone...number 8 valve misfire...coil $119 and will take 2 days to get here...sucks

What is the cylinder order from the front left to right? I can't remember since I haven't done it in a while. Oh and I found the coil on GM part direct for $54. Hopefully I can get this by friday.

I believe #8 is the rear drivers side. I'm going off memory so make sure someone confirms it before going after it on my word. If no one does, I'll look it up.

I went online and did a little research and it looks like it's as you said. I have another question. I ordered the coil but after I went back to the site I noticed that I ordered one for an 07 engine. I'm assuming theres no difference since it should be the same engine but the 06 price is cheaper. They haven't shipped the coil yet so I emailed them and I guess they will correct it. In the mean time I'm going to a junkyard to get one til this one gets here cause I have to drive to Virginia Beach this weekend and I don't think it will be here in time. No way around it. Only 168 miles south of me so no road trip but something I have to make. Preciate the assist Ranger.

Ok this is not working out like I thought it would. I've called all the local dealerships and they're all saying this coil is on back order and have no idea when they would be able to get one. Called junk yards too. No luck. Autoparts stores don't have any either. I don't get it. Hope this doesn't happen to you guys cause this is very frustrating. Anybody got any ideas?

Have you tried rockauto? They ship very fast.

Checking the site now. I finally got the rear plug out. Is there a way to test that coil to see if its bad?

I also noticed some oil on top of the engine. I will post a pic in a minute so you guys can see, but its on the passenger side rear part of the engine.

Just checked rock auto. Non stock item. 5 days extra. This is crazy.

Well I changed the plug and it stopped the rough idle and I went for a ride after it heated up and now she running like a champ. Went to auto zone to have them clear it but forgot they don't so I will just ride it til the light cut off which won't be a problem this weekend. Still haven't figured out where that lil bit of oil came from but will check some more when it stops raining.

So after you changed plugs you had a misfire and changed #8 AGAIN, and that cleared it up?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.